Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the optimal tire air pressure for my bike. I've heard that "cupping" will occur at the pressure Honda recomends. Should I run higher pressures?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
41/41
Dunnies

·
Registered
757 Posts
41/41 is what a do, seems to be doing good for me. No cupping yet 6200 miles.

Later
David

·
Registered
550 Posts
Keep in mind, if you are a big dude or ride double aim for the higher pressure 41/40. If you ride single and are a smaller person 38/36 should be plenty. I have 8500 on mine with lower pressures because I'm not a big person, no cupping.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
After 7K I'm just about worn smooth in the center of the rear tire. Front probably has 1K left. They're the Bridgestones & I ride 2 up 1/4-1/3 of the time. I ran 42psi 4 6K then dropped 2 39/39 as it wasn't as harsh. Now 4 fun I'm runin' 30/30.......................

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank y'all for taking the time to answer my question. This is absolutely the best place I've found for VTX info. Thank you all for sharing your experience!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've got Metzler 880 Marathons and according to Metzler's tire guide it should run 40 in the Front and 42 in the rear. Ride like a rock but the tire wear seems to be what it should be for the 5K I have on them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pressure in the S model

Is the pressure the same for the spoke wheels. I thought I had read somewhere it was different.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
After 60 mi. of 30/30 w/front feeling like it gained a couple hundred lb. & handling like a slug I up it 2 36/36. Don't have a whole lot left so i'm playin' 'round a bit.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Nicksterdemus said:
After 60 mi. of 30/30 w/front feeling like it gained a couple hundred lb. & handling like a slug I up it 2 36/36. Don't have a whole lot left so i'm playin' 'round a bit.
Try uping the pressure to 40/40 or there abouts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pressure

After 3,000 miles I took my pressure down to Honda recomendations and very shortly like not even 800 miles I had to replace the fron Dunlop. I now have over 6,000 miles on the Metzler front tire at 38 PSI and it hardly looks worn. I keep 40 in the rear. The front and rear are both Metzler. The only drawback I have noticed in the Metzler compared to the Dunlop is a little more vibration. And the sticking feel around corners is not as good as the Dunlops.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Has anyone running 40/40 checked a tire pressure after a few miles of Summer riding?
It will be in a range of 44-46 PSI, which is kind of riding on bricks.
I keep my at 36/38.(male, 5'10",200lbs, stock [email protected])

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I run 40/42. I'm a big dude so the extra psi in the rear. I get 20k plus miles out of both tires but I dont ride too aggressively either. You realize this thread is 15 years old.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
After riding, and esp. in heat, the tire psi will go up maybe as much as 5-6 psi. Consider.

Reactions: Tankslapper
1 - 20 of 31 Posts