Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I mounted a new set of Shinko 777 on my '05 VTX1300c. Mounting the tires went smoothly (for the most part). When i reinstalled my rear wheel, i said screw it let me put it in gear while in the air. I noticed the tire appears to be out of round, but i'm not sure. There is also a faint noise that sounds like gears. I'm not sure if its normal.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ug9N_BqSV6c

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm no expert , but looks to me that the bead of the tire is not correctly seated. The quick shot of the left side is where I think I saw it
Someone will come along and give you more useful information.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I'm no expert , but looks to me that the bead of the tire is not correctly seated. The quick shot of the left side is where I think I saw it
Someone will come along and give you more useful information.

I agree. It doesn't appear that the bead is completely seated all the way around. It's enough to hold air, but I think you need to let the air back out and try to re-set that bead again. Of course, you could always have a defective tire, but I couldn't see enough in the video to say for sure. Others will voice their opinion too, but I'm sure you will be able to get this resolved quickly. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@jbrittjr
@Dartanuan

I believe both of you are correct on that. I went to inflate it to 40 psi and i heard a couple of pops as if the bead was seating. It's odd because it looked fine before I mounted the wheel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Did you use some soap+water mix or tire bead lube when you installed the tire?

You can see a line on the tire sidewall, it looks like it disappeared because bead did not seat fully.
There should be a good pop when the bead seats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At first, I didn't use any lube (only some windex to rotate tires). But, after I mounted the wheels I washed the bike (soap ended up on tires) and inflated the tires and sure enough a few loud pops. I haven't jacked it up again, but I took it out for a ride and it feels fine. Granted I have been riding on bald ME880 for a little too long..

P.S. These tires are great so far. I would recommend them. Much better handling and grip than the Metz even during the break-in period lol

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
At first, I didn't use any lube (only some windex to rotate tires). But, after I mounted the wheels I washed the bike (soap ended up on tires) and inflated the tires and sure enough a few loud pops. I haven't jacked it up again, but I took it out for a ride and it feels fine. Granted I have been riding on bald ME880 for a little too long..

P.S. These tires are great so far. I would recommend them. Much better handling and grip than the Metz even during the break-in period lol

Yep,,, tread will do that!!! Maybe don't wait QUITE so long next time before changing your tires!! LOL
Safe Riding

·
Registered
981 Posts
Glad you got that resolved, my tire guy usually takes my tires up to between 50 and 60 psi w/o a stem in them when they seat POP then he lets the air blow out. He had to install my rear tire flat then air it up again. 240 rear tires look good to me, just not an easy install

·
Registered
26,116 Posts
[QUOTE

Yep,,, tread will do that!!! Maybe don't wait QUITE so long next time before changing your tires!! LOL
Safe Riding
Years ago, when I was young & foolish, I had a buddy follow me to the shop with my new tires in his van.
Dropped the bike & tires off, & went to lunch.

He drove me back to pick up the bike, the owner brought me over to a stack of old tires, and pointing to the
one on top, said that was my rear tire, which had about 15'' of cord showing. He said I got my money's worth out of that tire.

I looked at him, with a deadpan look on my face, and told him to remount my old tire.
He looked at me, and I told him I figure I still have 7 or 8 hundred miles left on that tire. :laugh:>:)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I think all tires have a witness line that runs around right next to the rim when seated, you just check for evenness of the line to the rim. I inflate to 60-65 to seat the bead then relax the pressure. Some tires with stiff sidewalls like knobbies are notoriously hard to seat the bead. If 65 psi doesn't do it then under-inflate like 20 psi and take it for a soft easy ride around the block. The flexing and heat will soften it and it will be seated when you get back. You can check these sort of things and for bent rims or bent axles with a wire, or a screwdriver, or just about anything that is pointy. On trips I carry a 24" piece of folded 14ga solid wire to check the wheels should I REALLY hit something along the way. In the video on the close-ups of the rear wheel you can see the witness line going round.

wheel front rear true check

1 - 10 of 10 Posts