Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as usual, i'm looking for some guidance from my fellow motorcycle riders.

i had the metzler 880's installed on my 04 vtx 1300s about 7000 miles ago and they already need replacing. i was carefull to keep the tire pressure at a constant 38 lbs. front and 40 lbs. rear.

it's true, i have been known to drag a floorboard every now and then. is this all the mileage that i can expect from a set of tires? is there a tire that will give me better mileage?

got any suggestions?

thanks,

paul :twisted:

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Not much out there for the S except Metz. and Dunlop Paul. I'm averaging about 11K per set on both brands. I hear Bridgstone is making tires in our size but don't know anyone running them. Like fuel mileage, tire wear will vary acording to how you ride, load and pressure. I've heard of some going even faster then your's, and some more than what I'm getting. Poor mileage is one of the main reasons some guys are going to car tires on the rear. The way you ride, I doubt you would be happy with a car tire. Check out Two Brothers Tires in Lawrenceville for VERY competitive prices and great service.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Paul

8 to 10 thousand is about all I ever get from a set of whatever brand.

I ran Dunlops last and got 11,000 on the rear. I usually just go ahead and change the front also no matter what condition its in.

cary

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I feel you only have a limited choice - Metzler - Avon - Dunlop - and all get just a little bit more or less mileage. To really see a big and greater mileage difference you’ll need to go Darkside and that will only help with your rear tire. There’s lots to read here and consider before making the Darkside decision. I’ve read and considered and decided to give the Darkside a shot... first on my 1800. The Metzler 880’s is what I’ll be using as my front tires. I’ve already got the CT for the 1800 and the 1800 upgrade and overhaul is on my todo list. I’ve got my 1300 up for the 8000 mile maintenance now and taking my time with it while riding the 1800. (how do you guys get along with just one cycle???)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
GeminiII said:
I feel you only have a limited choice - Metzler - Avon - Dunlop - and all get just a little bit more or less mileage. To really see a big and greater mileage difference you’ll need to go Darkside and that will only help with your rear tire. There’s lots to read here and consider before making the Darkside decision. I’ve read and considered and decided to give the Darkside a shot... first on my 1800. The Metzler 880’s is what I’ll be using as my front tires. I’ve already got the CT for the 1800 and the 1800 upgrade and overhaul is on my todo list. I’ve got my 1300 up for the 8000 mile maintenance now and taking my time with it while riding the 1800. (how do you guys get along with just one cycle???)
Just fine. I just do my maint. on chitty days. :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've been averaging about 12K on the Bridgestone-Firestone Exedra made for the 1800C (G850/851). I'm on my third set now. I just checked them last weekend and had 4/32 on the rear and 6/32 on the front (rear always wears down faster) after 8K miles. So, I ordered another set from HDL during the sale ($236 for a pair of superb tires is very good).

I know several folks who've tried the Exedra on their Goldwings and report excellent results. If you can find a set for the 1300 I'd give them careful consideration.

Jim

PS: Somewhere in my archive is a video of the service manager at a Honda dealership trying to burn a 0/32 tread Exedra on my bike down to the cord. After a lot of smoke and flying rubber we gave up. Let me know if you want to see it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been thinking about white walls for my 1300S....anyone have any suggestions??? Those of you that have them, where'd ya get em,etc?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
OK guys, this information is a little dates, but still valid.

Motorcycle tires for the VTX 1800S (Spoke Wheels)

Rim Size: 17 M/C x MT 3.5 Front and 15 M/C x MT 4.5 Rear

Stock tire size: 150/70-17 Front and 170/80-15 Rear (Bias Ply with tubes)

Bridgestone: G546 Exedra 170/80-15, Rear, S speed rated, 908 lbs load
G702 Exedra 170/80-15, Rear, S & H speed rated, 908 lbs load
G701 Exedra 150/80R-17, Front, Radial (tubeless only)

Metzeler: ME 880 150/80R-17, Front, Radial (tubeless only)
ME 880 170/80-15, Rear, WWW and blackwall
ME 880 150/80HR-17, Front, Radial (tubeless only)

Dunlop: D404 140/80-17, Front, WWW and blackwall, 716 lbs load
D404 150/80-15, Front, 783 lbs load
D404 170/80-15, Rear, 908 lbs load
K555 170/80-15, Rear, WWW and blackwall, 910 lbs load
D206 150/70R-17, Front, Radial (tubeless only)
D251 150/70R-17, Front, Radial (tubeless only)

Avon: Venom AM42 170/80-15, Rear, WWW or blackwall, 1074 lbs load
Venom R AM41 150/80-17, Front, Radial (tubeless only)

Continental: Milestone 170/80-15, Rear, S & H rated, no load given
No front

Michelin: Commander 170/80-15, Rear, no load given
Commander 150/80R-17, Front, Radial (tubeless only)

Maxxis: Classic M6011 170/80-15, Rear, WWW & blackwall, 908 lbs load
No front

Pirelli: MT 66 Route 170/80-15, Rear, 908 lbs load
No front

I have run the Dunlops on the front and rear and the Dunlops, Metzelers, and Avons on the rear. So far, I like the Avons better than them all. But that's just personal taste.

For the record, I have gotten 10K out of one Dunlop rear, but only 6K out of another. Around 6K was all I got out of the Metzeler rear, but the Avon already has 6K and plenty of tread left. Mileage depends on many, many variables, including tire pressure, riding style, and the actual road surface. And fron tire wear is due predominately to braking, while the rear wears due to acceleration.

I will probably order another Dunlop WWW for my front, but I am veeeeery happy with the Avon WWW on the rear.

Scarecrow

·
Registered
571 Posts
Add to Scare's list: Metzeler: ME 880 150/80-17 72H, Front, Bias (tube or tubeless). Just put one on a couple of months ago. I like it much better than the original Dunnie. I do not think there is a WW.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
RedTide said:
Add to Scare's list: Metzeler: ME 880 150/80-17 72H, Front, Bias (tube or tubeless). Just put one on a couple of months ago. I like it much better than the original Dunnie. I do not think there is a WW.
I'm glad to see they added a bias to the front. No WWW yet.....................although we can still dream! 8)

SC

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Ken's Tires is in Woodstock - - - maybe too far to Thump over to but he's good and very very reasonable... has beat internet prices without even asking...

My Avon Venons are about due at about 8,000 miles - - - wish I could've gotten more mileage out of them but it sounds like that is average!

I loved the Venoms and will do it again - - felt like they stuck to the road really well!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey there johnny,

no thumper has no problem hopping over to ken's. he did the tires on the magna and is the man to see when the meets the road.

paul :twisted:

btw: i am told that avon doesn't make a tire for the 1300S. anyone have any info on that? i need to get this done and haven't heard anyone say anything negative about the avons.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Paul,

If the 1300S has the same size wheels as the 1800S (see my earlier post), and I believe it does, then Avon makes a front radial and a rear radial and bias. I am running the Avon bias WWW now with a Dunlop front bias WWW. The Avon is, IMO, the best tire for the bike, even if just on the rear.

Scarecrow

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
littleJohnnyfromNJ said:
My Avon Venons are about due at about 8,000 miles - - - wish I could've gotten more mileage out of them but it sounds like that is average!

I loved the Venoms and will do it again - - felt like they stuck to the road really well!
Avon Venom R's on my 1800C. I got almost 12,000 on the rear before I replaced it and am about to replace the front with just over 16,000 miles. Johnny, you should check your air (40/40 cause it's easy to remember) and cut back on the jackrabbit starts and hard braking.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Orange Crush/GJC said:
littleJohnnyfromNJ said:

Avon Venom R's on my 1800C. I got almost 12,000 on the rear before I replaced it and am about to replace the front with just over 16,000 miles. Johnny, you should check your air (40/40 cause it's easy to remember) and cut back on the jackrabbit starts and hard braking.
But his long furry ears and cotton tail look cool flopping in the wind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts