Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I am getting ready to take my bike to the dealer to have them put on new tires. With all the latest posts about bearings, I am a little concerned. I have an 02 1800 retro. Most of the bearing post have been the C model, but not all. Should I purchase a set a bearings and take them to the dealer at the same time? Has anyone had any experience with dealers installing bearings, instead of replacing the whole flange? Also, do any of the name brand parts stores carry any acceptable bearings, and if so, what is the part number?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
63,769 Posts
It's not a simple replacing of the bearings. If you read the bearing thread you'll see that by placing too much stress on the second set of bearings the walls of the bearings will distort and that causes the failure. Pete and Tapper machined a tool to press in the bearing that won't destroy them. It is doubtful that your shop has that tool. When they take the wheel off be sure you tell them that YOU want to inspect those bearings for wear. They may be fine. Mine were OK. 8)

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
Just put a new Metz on my Xc and checked the bearings...they're fine. What wasn't fine tho' was the rear axle. Pitted, and cracked. I haven't heard of any axle failures but, will replace mine regardless. Check'm out too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts