Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Hope everyone is having a great July 4th!

Quick question/need advice - I need to replace the tires on my 2005 1800F. I got a quote to purchase the tires from a Honda Dealer that is about $50-$100 total above online retail. I have NO problem with this, as I realize they are placing the order and taking delivery and they deserve to make a little more profit than online retailers.

My question is really about mounting costs of the tires purchased through them. $100 total ($50 per) if I bring them the tires off the bike. $275 if the tires are on the bike. Does this sound reasonable? I realize Dealers are usually high, and I'm will to pay a little extra for my own convenience. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BTW - I'm getting Bridgestone Battlecruiser (H50)

·
Super Moderator
64,699 Posts
Well, yeah. They will have to pull the wheels, take up a lift table for 2.5 hours at around $100 per hour labor rate. The on-line cost is where you should get them to drop their price to you. Bring in a printed page of the on-line store you can buy the tires at a lower cost and ask them to match that price. Most of the shops will match the price

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Labor is high

Reactions: Paul N.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
it does not sound way out of line. The last summer I worked for my nephew in his shop (2019) we got $200 if you just dropped the bike and tires. Of course that's on top of the tires whether purchased from us or elsewhere. We never had much problem matching other legit tire sellers prices.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300 "R"
297 Posts
check around. some places in So Calif, Temecula motor sports only charge $10 per wheel if you take the wheel inoff the bike. I'm in Fresno now Clawson Honda wanted $320 labor if on the bike, Wilson power sports about 30 miles down only wanted $120, both wheels on the bike. For $200 the 30 mile ride is worth it .

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
203 Posts
I use Cycle Gear to have my tires mounted, I’ve been doing that for many years, and they do a great job. I would rather be the one to install the wheels on the bike because I want to make sure it’s done right, plus I can’t afford the price for a shop to do that work

·
Registered
1800-Spoker
29 Posts
If you use Cycle Gear (or other tire shop) you may want to consider purchasing the road hazard coverage for the extra $25 per tire. When I purchased the tires for my VTX and Road King I thought to myself "why waste the money, I never did that with my car tires". Forward to last week, I picked up a nail on the front tire of the RK. Come to fine out most places will not patch (NOT PLUG) a motorcycle tire. Darn HD branded / specific tire has less than 400 miles on it. The CG hazard coverage would have covered that nail and replaced the tire no charge (as long as the is over 25% tread). Something to consider!

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Hey VI, send that tire to me, I'll plug it and run it right down to 4/32s.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
203 Posts
I plug my tires if I can especially when they’re relatively new, because unfortunately I seem to pick up nails or screws often. It’s almost always the rear tire because as I understand it the front tire hits the screw or nail and that sets it up for a puncture in the rear. I’ve probably plugged my rear tires on my bikes about a half dozen times, and they always seem to hold and even though I know it’s not smart I end up on the freeway sometimes running 80 miles an hour with the plug in there. Ride safe!😊

·
Old Goat
26,803 Posts
I got a mom and pop around the corner….they sell high end bikes and adventure tourers…I swear I dont know how they stay in business with the large inventory…anyway I bring them the new tire and wheel …$48 ….balanced …just a FYI…good luck

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had new tires put on my 03 1800R. I bought the tires/tubes (spokes) and had them do the labor. Took bike/tires/tubes to them. $330.xx installation. Same price for installation no matter if you bought from them or not. (Corpus Christi, TX)

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
203 Posts
Just had new tires put on my 03 1800R. I bought the tires/tubes (spokes) and had them do the labor. Took bike/tires/tubes to them. $330.xx installation. Same price for installation no matter if you bought from them or not. (Corpus Christi, TX)
That’s a lot of cash, but if you needed to have them do it I guess it’s OK as long as they did it right.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
$40 for off-the bike rear, includes balancing
$42 for off-the bike front, does not include balancing
$35 for off-the bike DS, let's you know how far back that was
All prices L.A.-local

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
just had my tires done on my 2005 1800F with a 240 rear. $308 for mount and balance, $180 of that was the rear tire due to the 240 conversion and air suspension. the front was a bit higher than normal also due to having the sumo fat fork covers and kurakyn lower fork covers, makes for a bit of extra work.

it is what it is.

at least the shop roughed up the tires to get that slick coating off of them before they test road and handed the bike back to me, I've had a bike slide out from me due to that coating, and I've known a few others that have had the same issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts