Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on tire sealants like ride on or some of the other ones like tireject? I just bought some new tires and was thinking that might not be a bad idea to have some flat protection especially on a bike. The reviews on ride on are very good but im a little afraid to put a jell in my tire thinking about down the road if it hardens up eventually. The tireject is much thinner but the say its good for a year. What then? does it evaporate and you have to reapply? The website is unclear on some things.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
I dont use it ..but lot of folks swear by it....Others will chime in... look at the bottom of your post page..at Recommended Reading.....and there is always community search...good luck

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Anyone have any opinions on tire sealants like ride on or some of the other ones like tireject? I just bought some new tires and was thinking that might not be a bad idea to have some flat protection especially on a bike. The reviews on ride on are very good but im a little afraid to put a jell in my tire thinking about down the road if it hardens up eventually. The tireject is much thinner but the say its good for a year. What then? does it evaporate and you have to reapply? The website is unclear on some things.
+1 for Ride-On here. Saved my ass hundreds of miles from home when I picked up a ringed flooring nail. The tire (darkside CT) eventually went flat overnight, but I was then able to plug it and get me home safe. There is also thinner green crap called Slime, but I wouldn't use that. This is a 2 for 1 bargain- not only do you have flat protection far from home, but the internal balancing properties eliminates fugly wheel weights and gives a nice smooth ride.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I use ride on, haven't picked up anything yet but I do like that I don't have those stick on weights. Makes the rims look cleaner.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ride on saved me. I had a "blow out" (many will argue on the definition, but I had a dime size hole, that would have almost immediately resulted in 0 psi) at 65 mph. I heard a LOUD pop, followed by a really loud hiss that in about a second went silent. I run a 450W batwing, I heard this pop/hiss over my stereo. I had no idea if it was me, or where the sound came from, so I pulled over. I couldn't find anything around the bike, but noticed that the rear end was slowly dropping.

This is after about 5 mins at the side of the road:

I credit Ride-On for safely getting me to the side of the road. Honestly, if I hadn't heard that noise over my stereo, I never would have noticed that my tire had a hole at all. It rode smooth. I spoke with their engineers, they believe, that if I had kept riding, they believe Ride-On would have kept the hole sealed, but they also agree that I did the right thing. With 2 wheels, your hope is to be able to safely pull over. If you have a small hole, it might be worth the risk of continuing.

This is how Ride-On looks once the tire was removed. The shop had no idea that Ride-On was even in there.

The appropriate amount of Ride-On (1 bottle front 2 in rear regardless of car tire or motorcycle) and the appropriate formula (motorcycle only, others like ATV are NOT designed for motorcycle as per their engineers) will not only seal, it will dynamically balance your wheels. I removed all weights, and haven't had weights since.

I will always use Ride-On, and I will tell everyone I know who rides to use it. I have no idea how that incident would have turned out without Ride-On, but I have a feeling, it would have involved an ambulance.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
thanks everyone for the replies. Thanks JPT for that story. That kinda sold me on ride on.
What sold me was a friend from Ala. ran over an aluminum gutter spike 75 mi. from home. The spike went in through the center of the tread, and partially exitted through a sidewall. After pulling over and inspecting it, he rode it the rest of the way home.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
8 Posts
With tire plugging bikes and cars I found holes in the tread hold well, holes in between the tread flex and don't hold as well (small leaks). I bought the tire plugger pocket kit which uses a mushroom style plug and plugged a hole in one of my FJ's tires and it held (didn't keep that tire long). Nice thing about the kit it has CO2 cartridges to refill. I plugged bike and car tires with the standard type string plug, generous slathering of rubber cement and those held. Any canned sealant will probably require much effort to get off your rim. I once filled a boat trailer tire that was under the house for 10-15 years with two cans of fix-a-flat and the side walls looked like spider webs where the glue leaked out---wouldn't recommend but it got me home on a Sunday night. On the VTX I picked up a 5/8" bolt somewhere on a 300 mile run and didn't discover it until the next day...didn't repair that one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm a Ride-On fan but I keep a tire repair kit with CO2 cartridges in my saddlebag. Just hate the dreaded flat tire at midnight in the middle of nowhere scenario and will do what I can to avoid it. One thing I learned when I was researching tire sealants was how much the guys who change tires for a living hate SLIME and similar products. Some will charge extra for the clean-up time necessary to make the rim ready to install/reinstall a tire. Corrosion is an issue also--evidently. The difference with Ride-On is how viscous it is and how it's designed to stay put inside the tire over the tread area until a leak is created.
One other thing.....a "my experience" anecdote..... After getting new rubber on my '06 1800S, it turned out that my rear rim had a small flat spot. On the new tires, I could feel a pulse almost like an out of balance sensation between 35-40 mph. It was more of a minor irritant than anything else and I decided to just live with it. However, after installing Ride-On, the "pulse" was greatly diminished. Still trying to understand how it could do that but also still delighted and ride a little more confident knowing it's in there.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Only thing I couldn't find is someone putting a unbalanced wheel on a dynamic balancer then using Ride-On and putting back on the balancer to test. May be out there I just couldn't find it. I checked with on the Dunlop site and they will void the warranty if you use beads or spray to repair or balance. Care & Maintenance |Dunlop Motorcycle Tires- Street & Off-Road Tires
I had a friend a few years ago that was a local drag racer. One of his bits of wisdom was you have to run a race car like you have 2 spare engines, 2 spare transmissions, and 2 spare rear ends. Even if you don't or can't afford them. If you don't 'run on the edge', you'll never win a race. Same goes with tire warranties. I'm 70, and in my entire life, have never worried about, or even bought tires because of, their warranties. It's a piece of rubber that holds air, not a martian excursion module. My $.02

Reactions: MB1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Funny! But I can understand a tire company taking that position. I would just add that the tire itself cares nothing about the warrantee either. Neither does it "care" about sealants. It will perform and fulfill it's design function regardless. Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts