Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Metzlers with 8K on them.. I would like to replace the rear before I head out to the Hell's canyon motorcycle rally on Thursday.. The only tire that I've found locally is a Dunlop E3 180 40 16... Do you think it would cause any problems? I'm thinking the wrong size tire with new tread is better than very little tread as long as it fits and don't rub.. OE is 180 70 16. I didn't realize it was getting so thin.. It's just now at the wear bars, but this is along long way from home...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Where did you try to find one? There are shops in Eugene and Springfield.
You might call the Mom and Pop shops also.
I will check today and see if any are open today in Roseburg.

·
Super Moderator
63,569 Posts
180/70 will have about 5 inches of sidewall height
180/40 will have 2.8 inches height

What you will notice is how harsh that ride will be because you have no sidewall to soak up road bumps. Yes, tires do fit into the smoothness of ride equation. If it were me, I would not put that tire on my bike that I was going to take on a long trip. That's a bar hopper tire. Call the shops again, most can get tires in one day from a warehouse

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Spike.. I understand what you are saying, and I will take your advice and keep looking...

Wayne, I am in Creswell and Cycle gear in Springfield has the Dunlop in stock.. There is a Harley dealer in Eugene and a Yamaha dealer in Cottage Grove.. Unfortunately they are both closed for the holiday.. I will call them tomorrow and if they can get me one overnight that would work.... Also a run to Roseburg wouldn't be a problem.. As far as Mom and Pop shops, I don't know of any and the internet isn't much help..

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just came through Cresswell yesterday. Hit 99 down to CG.
Not much open down here today.

I go for rides with Dave Z in CG one in a while.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it taken care of today.. I decided to order a new tire online with a whopping NEXT DAY shipping.. This way I get a better price on the tire and also get the one that I want.. I have a friend that works for UPS and he will get it to me early morning Wednesday..

I went for a ride Saturday up to Manley's in Crescent Junction with a small group of friends, and had their broasted chicken.. It was a nice ride.. About 150 miles round trip..

I hope you all had a good 4th of July.. The fireworks are starting to die down now and hopefully I can get some sleep...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts