Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.....here is a general question......figured i would put it here, cuz everytime i ask something on the 1300 tech site, it gets lost too quickly in the sea of new posts.

what is the largest size lowprofile tire that can go on a stock 1300 rim without mods? back tire. I have been told that 200 is the largest, but want to know if anyone here knows.

thx

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Hey D-

Don't know for certain, but I was also under the impression that a 200 is your maximum.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good suggestion Father......i will call them

Steve - i thought the same thing and the 1800 can do a 210 w/o mods

I finally got the new chrome wheels in w/ polished rotors and they are beautiful!! i figured now would be the perfect time to change out the back tire since the wheels are coming off anyways.

i am wanting to go to a 200 lowprofile and that should drop the back end an inch or so more. (damn short legs.)

we are trying to get all this stuff done before Leesburg so she will be prettier and much shinier on the trip.

thx guys for the info.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
hey d

our stock rim is 15 with a 170, there is a tire company that makes a 200 for a 15 inch rims but they do not recoment anyone use it on a vtx because out rims is only around 4-5 inches wide.
they recomend using a 200 15 with at least a 5.5 rim ( i may not be correct on the measurements but i hope you know what i mean)

Pretty much, yes there is a 200 you can put on a 15 inch rim, but our rims is not wide enough to make it look like a 200.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have a 200 Metz on my 1800R. 200 is as wide as you can go on the stock 1800 rims. I'm pretty sure the stock 1300 rim is not as wide as the 1800. I'm thinkin' you would need a new wider rim on the 1300 to accommodate a wider tire than stock. I think some have adapted the 1800C rim to the 1300 - then you could go to a 200. Or you could buy a wider aftermarket rim designed for the 1300 and buy the appropriate tire.

Keep in mind that once you go to a 200 you may have some clearance issues if you are running shorter than stock rear shocks. Also keep in mind that if you go wider than 200 you are definitely in the new wheel, new tire, new swing arm ballpark. More $$. If you just got new rims, probably not an option in the short term. 8)

On the other hand I may have no idea what I'm talking about. :arrow: http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=5249&str=12&ID=351408147

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ed and Laz - you two definitely know what you are talking about.

i did a little research today.

the 1800 rim is 5.5" and the 1300 is about 4". while i can put a 200 tire on the 4", the sidewalls might tend to get sucked in too much. the 190 might be the better option. i don't want to go any bigger than that right now.......want to wait till a few things wear out and then re-do.

a friend of mine put a 210 on her 1800 and it works well. i don't have the stock shocks and the bike was already lowered a bit which is why i want a lower profile tire.

since these are new rims (the ones on the bike now were loaners til these came in) and i don't want to have duplicate labor bills, i will do the 190x55's for now. when those wear down, i will cut up the back and make it into a 250. that should be in a year or so.

anyways, thx so much for the info and confirming what i had been previously told.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts