Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody had any problems with the rear tire contact patch. I have a 2004 vtx 1300s with about 1400 miles on it and i noticed yesterday when i was cleaning it that the wear from where the tire meets the road is not centered but shifted to the left about 3/8 of an inch. The bike rides just fine and the contact patch on the front tire is perfectly down the middle. Im just curious if anyone else noticed this on their bike. I would like a little more info before i take her to the shop to get looked at. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
both my front and rear are worn a lot more on the left side. I have the Retro and it's part of that wonderful wobble I have. In fact I just hit 9k and I'm going to be ordering new tires really soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got off the phone with cannon falls honda and the guy there said that it was not uncommon for the tire to wear like that because of the crown in the road? he also told me NOT to use hondas recommended tire pressures but to run 40 psi in the front and rear tires, he said that the tires will wear better and get better mileage and the tires will run cooler with a little bit firmer ride. ill have to give it a try :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
The crown of the road is B.S.
Honda will tell you what ever they want to get you of their back.

I also have an Intruder with 13K on the tires and there is no problem with them. Infact it looks like I could get another 8-10 k out of them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
as near as i can figure, although i do alot of country riding, when in the city i make all the left turns faster not to mention that the lefts have a much larger radius. in other words i go faster and farther in left turns. hey, if thats true then why am i still here? just a guess!!?? 13k + miles on the stock dunlops so i replaced them with the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a follow up, added the 40 psi and put on about 600 miles, the contact patch for my rear tire is perfectly centered. FYI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Crown in the road

The info about the crown in the road is true! Roads are made to be high in the center and slope down toward the outside for drainage. If your tires are underinflated then the contact area is going to be wider and therefore more noticeable. Everyone will notice slightly more wear on the left of the tire unless you live overseas where they drive on the other side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
Again I have to state that I have had 6 different motorcycles before the VTX and I never had any problem with un-even tire wear until this bike.
It's not like I ride the same road over and over I ride different roads all the time. believe what you want but I believe it's the design of the bike.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Recommended tire pressures for the rear tire is 40psi.

Front tire is 38psi.

Crown of the road stuff is BS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Re: Crown in the road

Bubbaloo said:
The info about the crown in the road is true! Roads are made to be high in the center and slope down toward the outside for drainage. If your tires are underinflated then the contact area is going to be wider and therefore more noticeable. Everyone will notice slightly more wear on the left of the tire unless you live overseas where they drive on the other side.
The crown story is BS if you don't think so a little test will prove it and you can use an under inflated tire if you want. Lean the bike over to the left until contact is made with the wear band on the front tire. Now, How far over is the bike ? Almost to the peg I'd bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,774 Posts
Rattlebars said:
European left side drivers find that the right side of their front tires will wear out first. Quite the opposite effect for precisely the same reasons reversed.
Scroll all the way down and check out daveuk's post :wink:
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53447

For whatever the reason....our bikes just do it. I fully expect my new Avons to wear on the left, and when they're shot, I'll replace 'em and keep on smiling 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,958 Posts
ok, you have convinced me, its not the crown in the road. im still open to the turns train of thought.
if you combine it with the head bearing issue, might be something to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Re: Crown in the road

silvervtx04s said:
Bubbaloo said:
The info about the crown in the road is true! Roads are made to be high in the center and slope down toward the outside for drainage. If your tires are underinflated then the contact area is going to be wider and therefore more noticeable. Everyone will notice slightly more wear on the left of the tire unless you live overseas where they drive on the other side.
The crown story is BS if you don't think so a little test will prove it and you can use an under inflated tire if you want. Lean the bike over to the left until contact is made with the wear band on the front tire. Now, How far over is the bike ? Almost to the peg I'd bet.
It's not BS! It's one of many contributing factors. BS... very scientific, thanks for the input. If you're saying that riding on a slanted road with a vertical motorcycle has no effect on tire wear, then you're signature line is correct. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Re: Crown in the road

Bubbaloo said:
silvervtx04s said:
Bubbaloo said:
The info about the crown in the road is true! Roads are made to be high in the center and slope down toward the outside for drainage. If your tires are underinflated then the contact area is going to be wider and therefore more noticeable. Everyone will notice slightly more wear on the left of the tire unless you live overseas where they drive on the other side.
The crown story is BS if you don't think so a little test will prove it and you can use an under inflated tire if you want. Lean the bike over to the left until contact is made with the wear band on the front tire. Now, How far over is the bike ? Almost to the peg I'd bet.
It's not BS! It's one of many contributing factors. BS... very scientific, thanks for the input. If you're saying that riding on a slanted road with a vertical motorcycle has no effect on tire wear, then you're signature line is correct. :lol:
You can call it anything you want ,but if it looks like sShit and smells like sShit more then likely it is sShit. Do the test .How much more scientific can you get ? Do your roads have a 30 degree slope? You are correct, my signature line say's it all. SEE PICTURE ABOVE....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
I have an 04 1300 retro, and just changed the tires at 12000 miles and they were wearing perfect. the front would have gone another 8k but had to do the white walls.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
They have taken the crown out of the roads here in Oregon, because my fron tire is not wearing on the left anymore :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
All right, I'll admit it. I may be wrong. Maybe. I've been wrong before. It was a long time ago... Don't get all worked up and ruin your day over it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top