Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for another new tire. I saw that Dunlap has a new Elite III for the front on the VTC1800C. I have been running the Dunlap 130/70r18 D251 and it develops scalloping enough to replace after 5 to 6 thousand miles. Anyone have experience with the new Elite III on a similar bike? What do you recommend?
Roger

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
Most guys run the Avon or Metzelers tires when they replace the worn. The new Elite3 haven't been around much for long term wear results yet. 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spike thanks for the info. I might give Dunlap a call tomorrow and get their ideas on the 215 versus the Elite III. It may be useful since they are both their product. A couple reviewers on Hondadirect were positive but I don't think they have had enought time with them yet. Like, all brides are beautiful but how do they hold up after a few thousand miles. :p
Roger

·
Registered
679 Posts
Roger,

A few Gold Wing riders have been using the Elite 3 tires. Still early, at 3,000 miles, but the initial impression is very good. But the honeymoon is not over.

The GW uses the same front tire but the back tire is a 180/60 instead of our 180/70.

Some of them have chosen to install the VTX 180/70 on their GW. It puts their speedo in calibration, has a slightly higher load rating and makes it a little easier to get on the centerstand. The down side is that it puts their speedo in calibration and the bike will lean a bit more on the sidestand.

8)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I love my Avon Venoms, but I'm going to get the new Bridgestone Battleaxe 200 and give it a try. Alot of people that tried it like it alot. I'm going to stay with the Avon for the front. Got 15000 on the rear tire and the front still has some milers on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I put the Elite III on the front and it seems smoother and corners a little better on rough roads but they it is new. I will get back after a couple thousand miles. I hope to have less cupping with this different tread design.
Roger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dhandshy, I see you have Progressive fork springs. Is there a tread you can point me to on using fork spring to stop cupping and where did you acquire yours? Sounds interesting!
Got to improve my signature block, I like yours :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about that error. I meant THREAD you could suggest, not tread. Most typo are ok but this one would be confusing. Roger

G

·
0 Posts
Doesn't Michelin make tires that fit the 1800 Retro, front and rear? I've heard that they do. Can't go wrong with Michelins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ChicagoSpike thanks for the url about tread wear. It was the best explanation thus far and made sense.
You know it is a little humbling to see you have over eight thousand posts to my less than ten.
Thanks for mentoring us newbies. :)
Roger

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
Roger said:
ChicagoSpike thanks for the url about tread wear. It was the best explanation thus far and made sense.
You know it is a little humbling to see you have over eight thousand posts to my less than ten.
Thanks for mentoring us newbies. :)
Roger
No problem, I was there once before as well. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts