Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 vtx 1800 with less than 4000 miles on it. I just started riding again recently and i was wondering if its safe on those old tires even though there are not many miles on them.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
At 4000 miles, those are probably the original tires that came on the bike 18 years ago. NO, those tires are not safe. They may have plenty of tread depth but the rubber will crack from age. In 2013 I bought my vtx from the original owner with 8000 miles on it and with the original tires still on it, 10 year old tires then. On close inspection, both tires had small cracks all over. Get some new tires before you go off anywhere on it.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Yeah get some new tires......u know about the life u save...etc,etc.......good luck

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I was thinking that very thing and needed second opinion. That looks like a real chore to change those. I guess I need to find a good shop to do it.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Thanks guys. I was thinking that very thing and needed second opinion. That looks like a real chore to change those. I guess I need to find a good shop to do it.
Try and find a mom and pop ....thats what I use here....take the new tires and rims in $86 mounted and balanced....cycle gear does it also....u didnt mention but doing it your self there’s other things u can check while your at it.....good luck

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Super Moderator
64,141 Posts

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
I was thinking probably a honda dealer but I guess thats not a sure thing either
If u have to go to the dealer....ask to talk to service manager,,,see how much they know....if u have some place to work and basic tools,,the talent is here on the forum to walk u thru...plenty of utube vids...or there were...good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The consensus seems to be I need to get new tires so my question is what tire should I be looking at? As long as I have to change them should I upgrade to something that is better than the stock tires? There are alot of brands out the and I know about as much about motorcycle tires as I do brain surgery

·
Registered
11 Posts
I upgraded to some Michelin Commander III's and I definitely recommend. The grip is great in dry and wet weather and since I came from a streetbike I really like the tread pattern.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Everybody is gonna have there favorite....IMHO riding style should figure in to purchase....at the moment I’m a cheap sometimes rider so I went with shinko....lot of folks on here favor the Dunlop Elite series.....good luck in your choice...

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
The consensus seems to be I need to get new tires so my question is what tire should I be looking at? As long as I have to change them should I upgrade to something that is better than the stock tires? There are alot of brands out the and I know about as much about motorcycle tires as I do brain surgery
My $.02 for the Dunlop Elite 4. A dual compound that is soooo much better than the 404's.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
I was thinking probably a honda dealer but I guess thats not a sure thing either
It depends on how much you think your safety is worth!

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Super Moderator
64,141 Posts
OEM tires are crap. Almost any brand will be better than those. The Dunlop Elite4 is a great dual compound tire that outlasts most other motorcycle tires by far. On a heavy cruiser like the VTX this is a perfect tire. No, I don't work for or sell Dunlop tires. But I do have plenty of experience owning and riding on them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another thought came to mind. Since I am replacing the tires because of their age and not the miles on them if I order tires online what if they send me tires than have been sitting in the warehouse for two years. Some on this forum say five year replacement for tires. Is there a way to get fresh tires? I suppose buy them at a dealer but then the price would probably be alot higher.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Another thought came to mind. Since I am replacing the tires because of their age and not the miles on them if I order tires online what if they send me tires than have been sitting in the warehouse for two years. Some on this forum say five year replacement for tires. Is there a way to get fresh tires? I suppose buy them at a dealer but then the price would probably be alot higher.
Find the tire u want,see if dealer will price match...that way u can check . Date when u go to purchase...good luck

1 - 20 of 44 Posts