Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Most of the large online retailers should be turning inventory regularly. If you get old tires I would send them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
I recently put a set of Dunlop Elite 4's on my '02 1800, a great tire in any road condition. The Honda dealership that put them on inflated them to 42 R/ 37 F. Over inflating from the 36/33 recommended on the labels will double the life of the tire and not affect regular riding traction.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Another thought came to mind. Since I am replacing the tires because of their age and not the miles on them if I order tires online what if they send me tires than have been sitting in the warehouse for two years. Some on this forum say five year replacement for tires. Is there a way to get fresh tires? I suppose buy them at a dealer but then the price would probably be alot higher.
The sidewall has a 4 digit mfg. code on them. It's the week and yr. of mfg. Whoever you buy from, before completing the sale, I'd request they give you that date.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looking at those elite 4 from dunlop. Anyone have an opinion on bridgestone exedra max tires? I dont want to buy a junk tire but those have an attractive price.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Looking at those elite 4 from dunlop. Anyone have an opinion on bridgestone exedra max tires? I dont want to buy a junk tire but those have an attractive price.
..your not gonna get a majority consensus on any tire.... U have remember everybody has a favorite so figure out whats junk and go from there...but for example I like Shinkos ,not many do....if Spke said Dunlop u can take that to the bank...good luck ,I think your decision making gonna need it....lol

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
I agree. When he said he liked those I was sold. Im just trying to get in a little less expensive if possible without buying garbage. There is almost too much to choose from
Agreed....but more money now = more miles and less tire purchases.... over the long haul.....good luck

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
I agree. When he said he liked those I was sold. Im just trying to get in a little less expensive if possible without buying garbage. There is almost too much to choose from
Spike was advocating the E4's when I bought my last set of Michelin Cmdr. II's. After not much better service than the previous Metz 880's, I decided to go for the E4's.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Agreed....but more money now = more miles and less tire purchases.... over the long haul.....good luck
And less down-time to get them changed. That equals more riding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bet Revzilla will read you the date codes. They do such high volume I'd expect their tires to be fresh, but if it's a size nobody uses any more it could have sat for a while.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think you should worry about them being old from sitting in the warehouse. They'd have to be there for a few years. They are not as exposed as a tire on a bike. You will wear it out fast. So I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
The thing is Im a really low milage rider. If I get a couple thousand miles in a year that would be alot .
Same here, friend. BTW, I know a number of people who get their best deals from Rocky Mtn. ATV. I dislike buying from an internet dealer unless I have to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The consensus seems to be I need to get new tires so my question is what tire should I be looking at? As long as I have to change them should I upgrade to something that is better than the stock tires? There are alot of brands out the and I know about as much about motorcycle tires as I do brain surgery
My favorite tire after trying many different tires over 17 years of Vtx 1800s ownership is Shinko 777. Whitewall or can get in solid black sidewall available.
Sizes:
Rear 170/80-15/W
Front. 140/80H-17

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks everyone. I have alot to think about now, Still looking at those bridgestones. 100 dollars less for a set that almost everything else I have looked at

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
WOW....2 pages....39 post...526 views on tires......:unsure::eek:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts