Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I totally disagree on the topic of being visible on a M/C. I believe in loud exhaust, bright colored clothing,flashing brake lights, wearing a helmet, leathers and so on. He thinks being stealthy, quiet, and blending in with traffic offer more safety. I have been riding over 40 years and 5,000 miles or more a year (knock on wood) I have never been in an accident. He has been riding about 4 years. Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I wear a Santa Suit this time of year while riding and I will tell you I have no trouble being seen :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I want to be seen and heard.

I think your brother needs to change to your way!
I have a little Hybrid car and cars pull out in front of me and people walk in front of me.
must hear you!
must see you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Making yourself seen sure helps but nothing is more important than defensive driving.
I've had cagers cut in front of me while looking straight at me:yikes:

·
Super Moderator
64,210 Posts
You have a better chance of being seen, than heard. Cars are built to be sound proof, they have loud radios, A/C and cell phones. I used to drive a vehicle that was 40 feet long, bright red, had lots of flashing lights on it, a Q-siren, electronic sirens and air horns and there was a lot of people that never heard me right on their rear bumper, and my air horns were at bumper level pushing the sound straight at them. They aren't going to hear your exhaust that is pushing out the rear of your bike. "Loud pipes ble ble bla..." was coined when cars had no sound-proofing, a small AM radio and no cell phones, just doesn;t work in this age.

Safe and defensive driving is what will protect you. Take the MSF advanced class, it will help both of you out

·
Registered
358 Posts
RIDE NAKED:wrong:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Like Spike, my other ride is 48 feet long, red and white and has more chrome than most Harley dealerships, full of flashing lights, ear piercing sirens, alternating frequencies, a flesh-peeling federal Q, and bone crushing dual tone air horns...you'd be amazed at how invisible and unheard I am.

roy d....defensive driving is the ONLY way to stay safe....expect the unexpected:thumbup:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I want to be seen and heard.:agree:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My brother and I totally disagree on the topic of being visible on a M/C. I believe in loud exhaust, bright colored clothing,flashing brake lights, wearing a helmet, leathers and so on. He thinks being stealthy, quiet, and blending in with traffic offer more safety. I have been riding over 40 years and 5,000 miles or more a year (knock on wood) I have never been in an accident. He has been riding about 4 years. Whats your opinion?
Be visible. It's tough enough out there. Same argument can be made during the rifle hunt. Camo up or wear orange? I'm wearing orange.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I in cool weather I wear a black coat with retro -reflective grey 3m.. talk about bright!!!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
+1 Do what you can to be noticed! A Headlight Modulator helps too.

You have a better chance of being seen, than heard. Cars are built to be sound proof, they have loud radios, A/C and cell phones. I used to drive a vehicle that was 40 feet long, bright red, had lots of flashing lights on it, a Q-siren, electronic sirens and air horns and there was a lot of people that never heard me right on their rear bumper, and my air horns were at bumper level pushing the sound straight at them. They aren't going to hear your exhaust that is pushing out the rear of your bike. "Loud pipes ble ble bla..." was coined when cars had no sound-proofing, a small AM radio and no cell phones, just doesn;t work in this age.

Safe and defensive driving is what will protect you. Take the MSF advanced class, it will help both of you out
Like Spike, my other ride is 48 feet long, red and white and has more chrome than most Harley dealerships, full of flashing lights, ear piercing sirens, alternating frequencies, a flesh-peeling federal Q, and bone crushing dual tone air horns...you'd be amazed at how invisible and unheard I am.

roy d....defensive driving is the ONLY way to stay safe....expect the unexpected:thumbup:
I think they hear and ignore,nojoke based on my own driving experience and hearing I can not believe someone does not hear a fire engine unless they are DEAF. I have never had a problem hearing emergency vehicles from the front, back, or side.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Motorcycles are like children: Better seen than heard. Light it up, bright, white, day and night.:yikes:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
You never see a bike with straight pipes being tailgated

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The greatest risk, outside of one's own knowledge, skills and abilities, comes from other drivers.

The greatest risk from other drivers is their inattentiveness and the fact that bikes are not readily highlighted. Whatsoever increases their recognition of your presence, lessens your risk. Period :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
my fave coffee shop is on the corner of a busy intersection
where i can watch all the traffic go by ...

even sitting inside, drinking coffee, it is difficult to spot
a motorcycle among all the lights and movement of traffic ...

the guys i can spot immediately? headlight modulators ...

next best? bright light bar ... or bright orange safety vest ...

last ones? black everything and loud pipes ... don't notice
them until they are past ...

take your bro for a coffee and play 'spot the bike' ... its not
as easy as people think it is ...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Making yourself seen sure helps but nothing is more important than defensive driving.
I've had cagers cut in front of me while looking straight at me:yikes:
+1
Above all else defensive riding is the key to avoiding accidents. Just like Buckeye I have just this year alone had 6 incidents where folks have turned into me from approaching traffic to the point if I'd not been able to get on the break hard and quick and or change my line of progress I would have got to fix my bike and likely myself.
Folks were looking stright at me and still didn't understand the distance; (or don't give a crap) and me doing the speed limit in all cases....and don't get me started on the loud pipes thing because I have ridden in cars when the driver had the sound up so loud he nor I could hear the stright pipes on the Harley right beside us and also been next to cars on my bike when I could feel the bass of their speakers as I went by them.
It's a bad world out there and the only thing you have to best protect yourself is a brain....your's not the other persons.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts