Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about selling my 03. It just doesn't feel right when I ride it. Could be I'm just spoiled from riding my HD, but my 1300, is really hard to lean to the left for turns and it has a vibration that comes through the handle bars, I think I put about 60 miles on it this year. I feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike instead of cradled in the seat. Sitting on the fence undecided.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
A motorcycle has to fit the rider. It doesn't mean the bike has faults. If you feel the HD is the right motorcycle and better fit for you, don't feel guilty about selling the 1300. Also with the shortage of new and used motorcyles going on right now you should be able to get good money for the 1300.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DarkShadow, I bought it in June of 20, I figured I'd use it for a town bike because my electaglide is really just to big and heavy to go through town traffic all the time. The 1300 is light enough, it just feels weird the way I sit on it. Its a good running bike, only has about 15k on it, but just not comfortable. It's a good looking bike except I don't like the spoke wheels and I figure that may be where the vibration is coming from too, just undecided I guess.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
vibration is usually from the steering neck bearings used on the 1300. People, including myself, change them from the roller bearings Honda decided to use to All Balls roller bearings. This improves the deceleration vibration that show up around 30-40 mph.

If you intend to sell, I wouldn't do any more work as you will likely not see a return on that work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vibration is usually from the steering neck bearings used on the 1300. People, including myself, change them from the roller bearings Honda decided to use to All Balls roller bearings. This improves the deceleration vibration that show up around 30-40 mph.

If you intend to sell, I wouldn't do any more work as you will likely not see a return on that work.
I hadn't thought about the bearings, I figured with only about 15k on it, I wouldn't think they'd be the problem. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I hadn't thought about the bearings, I figured with only about 15k on it, I wouldn't think they'd be the problem. Thanks for that info.
They were a crappy design. I got my bike used with 6k miles on it, the bearings were already bad... I could have survived with tightening them, but there was already a groove in the race.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were a crappy design. I got my bike used with 6k miles on it, the bearings were already bad... I could have survived with tightening them, but there was already a groove in the race.
Thanks, I'll have to check them i wouldn't want to sell it until its fixed if they are bad.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
I use the 1 year rule.
If the bike sits for a year unridden, it's time to move it on to someone that will ride it.
Are you suggesting I sell my KLR650 that has been used for maybe 100 miles over the last two years while I rode my VTX1800 for 18,000 miles over that same time period?
Hmmmmmm.
I think you may be right.
:unsure: :rolleyes::)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The 'fix' for the 13s bicycle style neck bearings is to install the 'all balls' tapered roller set. I've done at least a dozen of them. If you have experience changing other types of roller bearings and races it is a can of corn. If little or no exposure to working with bearings you can still do it. You will need to remove the front end to expose the steering head. If you drop the cables and wiring you can take the whole thing off in on piece. An extra pair of hands makes it easy. A good long punch to knock the old races out and a good brass punch to install the new. Putting the new races in the freezer for several hours (or overnight) will make installation go smooth. Make sure the new races are fully seated. Then, just reassemble with the roller bearings. Follow the 18s SM for pre load adjust.. It's a bit of work but none of it is very complicated. Probably the single best upgrade for the 13 that can be done. Got no idea why Honda used the bicycle bearings.

Reactions: Kik
1 - 15 of 15 Posts