Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three months on the bike, 1,500 miles, tried to change the shock setting. Looked in the tool kit and I only have 2 allen wrenches and 1 philips screwdriver. I know there is supposed to be more, going to dealer in AM. What should be in supplied tool kit? :(

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
There was a post on this awhile back some got a full tool kit,supposely the kit was downsized after 05 but you will get arguements on this. My 06 had the same as you . As for the shocks take the weight off the bike and you can dial them by hand. There might be a parts list on the hdl oem sight. Good Luck

·
Registered
343 Posts
If it's an 06 or later, that's what you get for a tool kit!!!! Either buy a tool kit for an 05 or earlier off Ebay, ETC. or make your own up with quality tools from Sears or another supplier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VTX 1300 Tool Kit

Thanks for the info....I am going to take the weight off and dial by hand plus go the dealer and complain anyhow.

G

·
Houndog said:
If it's an 06 or later, that's what you get for a tool kit!!!! Either buy a tool kit for an 05 or earlier off Ebay, ETC. or make your own up with quality tools from Sears or another supplier.
You couldn't be any more wrong on this one.

The HONDA Parts Fiche calls out for a COMPLETE TOOL Kit on the 2006 Models.

Go to your dealer, ask them to look up the Tool Kit on the parts fiche and it will show what is supposed to be there.

At first my dealer said he thought that was all I was supposed to get, we checked other bikes and 3 different 06 1300R's had 3 different tool kits.

Then we checked with the parts people who looked up the 2006 Tool Kit.

My dealer ordered me a new and complete tool kit.

If a dealer tells you otherwise, IMO, they are lying!

Here is a copy of the page from the parts fiche showing the contents of the tool kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1300 Tool Kit

Gary,
Thanks for the update..I won't let the dealer get away with anything.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Houndog said:
Harbor Freight (to save money) or Sears. Buy a few REAL tools which you can actually use if you are broken down on the side of the road. :tools1:

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
4inchpistons said:
Houndog said:
Harbor Freight (to save money) or Sears. Buy a few REAL tools which you can actually use if you are broken down on the side of the road. :tools1:
+1 It must be the principle of thing, I would like to think the average wrench wouldnt be caught dead with those piece o chit tools. Over 7500.00 for my bike I would be embarassed to pull those out. :lol: .02 Have a safe one.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have my Power Commander and air horn compressor under my sidecovers and couldn't access tools anyway. So I keep a small box at the bottom of a saddlebag with:
10mm-19mm sockets (Harbor Freight-$8-on sale)
3/8 drive ratchet ($4-WallyWorld)
Vice grips ($3-H.F.)
11pc. allen wrenches ($25-Sears)
Mini crescent wrench ($1.99-local discount store)
Air pressure guage ($3-purchase anywhere)
Regular + needlenose pliers, #2 phillips and flathead screwdrivers, 3" ratchet extension (old tools which were laying around)
Electrical tape
Various sizes electrical ties

A flashlight is also a good idea although I don't carry one.

Small investment when considering possible time wasted on the side of the road, or risking your safety trying to ride it home.
Just my $.02 worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts