Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I received a great Christmas gift from my son - a gift card to Sears that I want to use to buy basic hand tools for working on my 1300C. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have regarding "essential" tools I should try to pick up. I figure a set of metric allen wrenchs is a good starting point, but I want to make sure I get the right sizes. Otherwise, is there any type of "suggested tool inventory" on the VTXOA site I can turn to for this info?:dontknow: Any suggestions are appreciated. A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
One of the things off hand is a magnetic tool pickup. I used mine a few times when I drop bolts in hard to reach places such as your motorcycle or vehicles. Saved time a lots of time picking out bolts:oops:

·
Registered
669 Posts
i keep at home the craftsman 53 piece mechanic's tool set, a set of craftsman open/box wrenches from 8mm to 19mm, and allen sockets from like 5mm to 15mm i think. the 53 piece set has all the basic sockets in metric and standard although there is nothing standard to my knowledge on our bikes, a ratchet, a set of hex keys, a shorty extention, a 5/8 spark plug socket, a standard and philips screwdriver and a couple wrenches. i also have an adjustable wrench and a set of feeler gauges, and some oil filter pliers, and a drain pan. that drawer of tools pretty much gets me where i need to go on the bike and cars, i also use the red craftsman bike jack. there's always something when you get into working on stuff you need and don't have, but that will give you basically everything you need:tools:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Craftsman Jack and PepsX Stand

If you are going to do any real work on your bike you are going to need a motorcycle jack and a work stand. I prefer the Sears aluminum motorcycle jack and the PepsX stand.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i also use the red craftsman bike jack.

I agree. I use that Craftsman jack more than anything.
It's also great for just getting the bikes up in the air for cleaning.

2nd most important tool to me would be the oil filter pliers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
:agree:Watch for that Sears aluminum jack to go on sale as the price drops nearly $50. Also, join their Craftsman club to get an additional 10% off club specials that they mail to you. Sometimes, they include that jack which was my Christmas present.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions. I went to Sears Hardware today and almost everything I needed to pick up was on sale, so my gift card went a little further than I thought it would. I picked up a set of hex key sockets, a thumbkey ratchet, a set of combination wrenches, a magnetic tool pickup and a small toolbox that'll fit in my saddlebag to hold it all. Am holding off on getting the offset feeler gauges as I doubt I'll be doing my own valve adjustments for awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts