Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away for years, sold my Vtx 1800 and bought used bmw 1200 gs. After some time, really missed my vtx, so I just bought it back from my son who was not using it much. All the cool stuff of the gs, tech stuff like canceling blinkers, heated grips, air pressure sensor, temp, oil change indicator etc. didn't compare with the FEEL of cruising, whether 45 mph or 85. I wonder if it is torque that I am talking about? The gs is just as fast, but different type of speed. No pushing you back at acceleration on gs. Anyway, I moved from Florida to Tucson AZ and have the shipper to deliver it about 09/04. Really happy about it. Anyone experience this?

Maurice

·
Super Moderator
63,577 Posts
GS around 90 torque and VTX around 100 so a little difference. Torque is the power that peels your hands off the bars coming off a stoplight. Just cruising around is just visceral feel of the large twin pistons over the tiny 6 pistons of the 1200, it's a big difference to me anyway and why I never wanted a Wing

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome to Tucson.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was sold on the VTX the moment I threw my leg over the saddle. It has cork like no bike I've ever been on before! I don't care much for top speed I just love the feeling of twisting the throttle and feeling the power!
I know the GS as well. You probably miss the handling though. Although the VTX is much more powerful the GS handles much better especially on tight corners.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Hello Maurice1 and Maurice2
You do not have to start a new user ID.
Ask Admin to reset your PW and continue with your original ID if you forgot it.

General Information

Last Activity: 12-15-2018 06:54 PM
Referrals: 0

Torque and the thump and mirrors vibrating.
I am a short shifter on my 1300, I get to feel the bottom end a lot!

·
Registered
503 Posts

General Information

Hi Hans,

What does "I am a short shifter" mean exactly? Pls confirm. Thx :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
As others have said it is the torque, whether on a bike or car that puts you back in your seat when you twist the wick or put the peddle down. My FB is advertised to have 119ft.lbs. at 3500rpm. After owning my VTX for 9 years and then buying the FB I can easily tell the difference between the two, the FB has more low end grunt. But I don't believe it would do more than take the VTX off the line and out to maybe an eighth of a mile. After that the VTX would leave it behind. But that sheer grunt on the FB has almost left me behind a few times before I got a backrest, it has that much power and without a firm grip off the line or just accelerating at slow speeds it can be a challenge to hold on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does 'torque' have something to do with the difference between my VTX1800 and my KLR650?
On my VTX when I tell it 'accelerate' the response is 'done', while on the KLR the response is 'I'll get back to you'.

:grin2::wink2:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Does 'torque' have something to do with the difference between my VTX1800 and my KLR650?
On my VTX when I tell it 'accelerate' the response is 'done', while on the KLR the response is 'I'll get back to you'.
:grin2::wink2:
The VTX 1800 is a power cruiser, the KLR650 is a zombie apocalypse tank. the KLR makes about 33ft/lbs torque at almost 5000rpm. It is not built for speed or power, but for reliability and versatility. BTW, the KLR responds very well to airbox, carb and freezer flowing exhaust mods. A power wheelie becomes a real possibility, and you'll be quicker than a Sportster 1200.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GS around 90 torque and VTX around 100 so a little difference. Torque is the power that peels your hands off the bars coming off a stoplight. Just cruising around is just visceral feel of the large twin pistons over the tiny 6 pistons of the 1200, it's a big difference to me anyway and why I never wanted a Wing
That's it. I forgot to revisit that awareness many years ago when I sold my vtx 1100 for a bandit 1200. Loved the speed at first, but did not like just cruising around. Sold it for another 1100 until later the 1800. I must have forgot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was sold on the VTX the moment I threw my leg over the saddle. It has cork like no bike I've ever been on before! I don't care much for top speed I just love the feeling of twisting the throttle and feeling the power!
I know the GS as well. You probably miss the handling though. Although the VTX is much more powerful the GS handles much better especially on tight corners.
So true. My first bigger motorcycle as an older guy was shadow 1100. I bought it about 100 miles from home, rode it in pouring raining with the biggest grin. Loved it. Then of course the 1800 with much less buzz at 80 mph.

Gs handling is what got me to buy it. I thought how much easier to ride, smooth transmission, brakes much better, twisties no comparison. My 1800 was a tractor in comparison. But all of that did not make up for the freeking ride!!! Maybe there is something to the sound and feel that is good for the human soul!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

General Information

How's it going Hans? Maurice 2 is fine, my email of 30 years was hacked last year, low life sent my contacts emails saying they needed money, desperate. I received emails from a few saying what's the problem. Scum bag.
So easier to just start over.

Remember how how I chased that "electrical Problem" for about a year, went through a few batteries. Turned out to be kinked fuel line that Honda Dealership found. Wow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As others have said it is the torque, whether on a bike or car that puts you back in your seat when you twist the wick or put the peddle down. My FB is advertised to have 119ft.lbs. at 3500rpm. After owning my VTX for 9 years and then buying the FB I can easily tell the difference between the two, the FB has more low end grunt. But I don't believe it would do more than take the VTX off the line and out to maybe an eighth of a mile. After that the VTX would leave it behind. But that sheer grunt on the FB has almost left me behind a few times before I got a backrest, it has that much power and without a firm grip off the line or just accelerating at slow speeds it can be a challenge to hold on.

Sorry but what is an FB?

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Thanks Hark. In a way no different than my VTX. Both have put smiles on my face each time out. Gobs of power in both, more than I'll likely ever need. Or use.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks! What part of Tucson are you in? I'm in Sabino Canyon. Mt. Lemmon on the gs was nice. I'm sure my vtx will be a slower ride.
I'm in a townhouse at Pantano & Wrightstown. Spend a lot of time at the SIL's east of Sabino and Cloud. Sitting my grandchildren of course.

I was supposed to ride to Green Valley for the annual car & bike show (Caterpillar Proving Grounds) this morning at 5:30 but I have sciatic nerve giving me fits so I took a pass. A new pain for me and I am not enjoying it.

My riding Bud and I are planning Devil's Hwy., AZ 2019, Big Bend, TX and Bowling Green, OH for 2020. Hopefully, they all play out.

Like to meet up. I should be riding again next weekend.

Lee & Nancy

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Honestly , they all look pretty much the same to me.

Insofar as the FB and VTX go I would agree. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I've always felt that Honda more or less mimicked the FB's look with the VTX. But only because the FB preceded it. Only so much you can do with a v-twin cruiser to give it a unique look. Now Yamaha did accomplish that with the Raider to a large degree. Nice lines on that one. Bottom line though is that they're mostly all good looking bikes. In their own right. It's what happens where the back tire meets the ground, and in the twisties that makes the biggest difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts