Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be considered a minor crash turned into a major ordeal. Only bought the bike 2 months ago and a distracted driver in heavy traffic ran into me from behind. For my first bike being an X.. I'm already looking for another X. Total damage, parts and labor to fix it would be above $5,000. Be safe out there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
you should be able to buy it back from insurance company pretty cheap, then you have a parts bike. Wheels alone are worth $300-$400 depending on tires, a good tank is worth $400 or so. worth checking into. A spare set of wheels is very handy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you should be able to buy it back from insurance company pretty cheap, then you have a parts bike. Wheels alone are worth $300-$400 depending on tires, a good tank is worth $400 or so. worth checking into. A spare set of wheels is very handy.
Oh the buyback option is available.. but wouldn't cover what I owe the bank.. and then I have the hassle of finding buyers for the parts which in my area is few and far between. I'd also have to let the parts go for pennies on the dollar given the limited market. Most people in my area have Harleys. Good idea though. Thank you. Unfortunately have to dismiss it for financial reasons and lack of storage for it given it isn't in drivable condition.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is there more to the damage than what shows in the pictures. Doesn't look like over $5K to me.

What is the figure they threw at you? Ballpark.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Your bike ..your rulz...around here that bike would most likely be fixable....good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh it is fixable... but I'm not dumping over $2000 to get it back on the road (minimum) when I still owe the bank even after the insurance payment to them

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad your ok could have been worse
Thank you. Could've been a lot worse... had it not been for my leg getting pinned in the engine guard I would've gone off the back and into the car....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck. Last month a uninsured sob turned left across my lane, cutting me off, I hit him, he got 2 tickets , I've got a damaged bike. My estimate is $8250 for a bike that's worth much less than half that. 2007 1300S.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm embarassed to say that I've had 3 dumps - all my fault - and yes, I learned from them. All 3 covered by insurance. All 3 times the Honda shop had a big bill (and said it was close to scrapping). When I asked about repairs I found big discrepancies. Shop said it had to replace my broken turn signal. I pointed out it was altered to shut off with a push. Shop said a new frame, $1300, the fork stops were damaged. I pointed out the "damaged" stop was not the side I fell on, not damaged, same as the other side. Shop said new gas tank, $75, old one all scratched up. I pointed out the scratches were from the chain closures on my vest. Being mostly honest, I called the insurance company. They said they were sending a check based on the estimate (that bikes were to leave the repair shop good as new), and I could alter it any way I wanted - but don't come back in a couple months complaining about frame damage, etc. I have made more money on repair bills than I have paid for insurance for my first 5 years, and apparently everyone is happy with that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
What do insurance companies do with the bikes they take ownership of?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Either resell them as salvage or sell off the good parts or scrap them.. all depends on the bike and what condition it's in after the accident.. in my case they'll resell it as salvage..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for your bad luck. Last month a uninsured sob turned left across my lane, cutting me off, I hit him, he got 2 tickets , I've got a damaged bike. My estimate is $8250 for a bike that's worth much less than half that. 2007 1300S.
Sorry to hear that. That one should've been totaled as well... luckily I found out today that the other driver actually has insurance.. no license or valid tags but still...

·
Registered
362 Posts
My estimate is high, I think, I can get the parts cheaper from partzilla. My tank is dented from my knee, $1450 for the tank. The dent could be fixed but I don't want a bondoed tank and paint .I would rather have a dent and factory paint. Not trying to start a discussion but factory paint is the only way to go for me, any other paint will scratch easier, no matter who put it on or how well they can spray, I do not want it. Also my frame is bent where the foot board,crash bar bolts to the right side, not that it will be dangerous but it took away from the value of the bike. I hit him hard enough to break the leaf spring,, never seen that happen before. Luckily I was able to not hit him straight on, I slid sideways, my engine,crash bar,hit the rear wheel, my front fender was gouged by his tailpipe. I rode away, he had to be towed.

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
What do insurance companies do with the bikes they take ownership of?

We are talking about insurance adjusters not m/c mechanics. Doesn't seem practical for them to invest in the labor and marketing. Maybe a scrap yard, but you know us guys won't spend much on a used or damaged part. I would think they would be happy to sell this for a few hundred dollars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts