Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
There is only one group calling for or praying for recession and doom, I would not buy a bike with that tire on it plus the only thing I will buy that I have to work on nowadays would be a house or business that I can flip for double.
HILARIOUS. Pretty much slammed all the hot buttons on this site. :D

FWIW, I agree for the most part. The car tire in particular would give me the willies. I would not ride that thing until it was replaced with a motorcycle tire. Sure, lots of guys have good luck with car tires and I get why they ride on them. I wouldn't though. It is the whole choice thing. If I did ride dark side then I would change it out when I sold it. The pool of people who find that acceptable is smaller than those that don't.

Now maybe he can post what type of oil he uses and we can get an all encompassing bitchfest thread going. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
There is only one group calling for or praying for recession and doom, I would not buy a bike with that tire on it plus the only thing I will buy that I have to work on nowadays would be a house or business that I can flip for double.
Actually recessions are rather predictable: Note there is roughly 10 years in between significant recessions and the last recession ended 9 years ago.
1929 - 1933 Great depression
1937 - 1938
1960-1961
1969-1970
1973-1975
1981-1982
1990-1991
2007-2009

They happen with amazing regularity. They happen for two broad reasons: 1) our economy is built on the concept of infinit expansion. For example, everybody is excited about the increasing value of their home until the value is out of reach of the average buyer. 3) the average American has a memory of about 2 weeks. Sadly, I can remember every recession since 1960. There are actually quite a few experts calling for a recession in the next couple of years. The people calling for a recession or not are either 1) politically motivated or 2) market drivers who make money on the transaction: sell now before the market crashes or buy now because the market is expanding. Either way they make money. The only way they don't make money on a daily basis is with people who hold stock long term. So they spend a lot of energy trying to get them to sell and or buy.

With regard to VTX sales, the VTX has never been even an average market performer, that's why Honda quit making them after 7 years of losing money due to lackluster sales. Never-the-less, we like what we like, I bought my 2003 VTX 1800C brand new in 2004 when Honda was giving gigantic rebates trying to boost sales and reduce inventory. My VTX is now 16 years old, has 150,000 miles and still runs like a beast. Looking into the future I can see my wife pushing me out to the garage in my wheelchair where she will fire it up and I can just sit, listen, and remember.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The market for motorcycles, and cruisers in particular, is softer than it has been in the past.... From what I have read, fewer people are riding and the millennials (if they ride at all) are going for the sport bikes or those little grom things....
V-Twin motorcycles are declining in popularity faster than most people realize. I've talked to a few guys trying to sell their bikes they advertised it on craigslist and cycle trader, they said the used bike shopper is hard to deal with. They want something for nothing, don't have much knowledge on motorcycles, want the bike but don't have the money at this time, not sure of what kind of bike they want. Also consider this, trying to sell a bike over 10 years old many people are afraid taking the risk with an older bike with many miles they may have to send more money on down the road. When my friends and co-riders talk about possible getting a new bike I remind them how bad things are on the used market. You really need to rethink about buying a new bike, it's highly possible the used bike market is only going to continue to get worse.

·
Registered
458 Posts
In June of 2018 i had a a buyer for my bike for $4,700. They were upset when i cancelled the sale, really upset, she was i mean. They were just getting ready to go to the bank and get the cash.

I had it for sale for 1 week and it was the first people to come look at it. craigslist.

Not kicking myself in the ass though, glad i kept it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Allow me to Introduce you to the future of motorcycles.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
Had one of those electric bike go by in traffic one time, barely heard it. I was in my truck with the window down, kinda unnerving, just a little zzzzzz and they were by. I think they need to add some sort of sounder to it. I know that most often, even with how loud my bike is, people don't notice I'm there until I'm even with the window, but at least they hear that I am there. These? I still think splitting lanes with them is kinda dangerous. (Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention CA guy here where splitting lanes IS legal.)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually recessions are rather predictable: Note there is roughly 10 years in between significant recessions and the last recession ended 9 years ago.
1929 - 1933 Great depression
1937 - 1938
1960-1961
1969-1970
1973-1975
1981-1982
1990-1991
2007-2009
I know what the stats are I was a day trader for many years sold out in 2007 and bought everything at rock bottom in 2008 and the average is more like every 7 years so we are 3 years past due because of the person we have in charge right now.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I haven't read every entry on this post, but I don't thinks it's always about price.
I had my VTX listed all summer, from early May, and all I had was guys offering speed boats & SxS quads in trade. Basically they were trying to off load their unwanted stuff for something better.
One couple came to look at it and bought it on the spot for (then) asking price. I had lowered the price a couple times over the summer, but eventually got pretty much what I was expecting in the first place.
They had crashed their Nomad earlier in the summer & were ready to get back on the road. One of their friends in the riding group offered them his Stratoliner, but they weren't interested. Another guy rode a VTX, and they were convinced this would be the best move for them. Lots of power & torque and the promise of a long, low maintenance life.
I think I'd done a nice job on my bike and took good care of it. It was perfect for their needs.
Patience is a virtue .....

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is one of the many reasons I would never want to sell my VTX. I know I would get next to nothing for it. Personally, if I stopped riding for whatever reason I would rather let it sit then get then give it away for pennies. It's no secret that the motorcycle Market has become very soft! I don't know if it's just me but it seems like a lot less people are riding motorcycles than they were about 20 years ago. I guess we're living in a generation of snowflakes what can I say?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I probably will never sell my VTX.

I am actually thinking of getting a used Goldwing to compliment it.

If I do, I will probably remove the windshield and bags and turn mine in to a nice cruiser and continue to ride it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought my VTX 1300S new in 04, and I am starting to get a bit older now. Was wondering how may more good years of riding I might have and if I should think about selling my VTX?

After quite a bit of research this year, I have to say (like others have said) I am going to just keep it rather than just give it away. I know this doesn't really matter when it comes to selling a thing but I have quite a bit of time, tools, parts, extras & money wrapped up in this bike to just give it away. I do also understant the buyers/sellers market realities as well.

My 1300 still runs and looks just as good as it did off the showroom floor and I still really enjoy riding it. So for me, the wind up is that for now I will just keep riding my VTX as along as I can, and when I can't ride anymore, I guess I'll just have to deal with that then.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I bought my VTX 1300S new in 04, and I am starting to get a bit older now. Was wondering how may more good years of riding I might have and if I should think about selling my VTX?

After quite a bit of research this year, I have to say (like others have said) I am going to just keep it rather than just give it away. I know this doesn't really matter when it comes to selling a thing but I have quite a bit of time, tools, parts, extras & money wrapped up in this bike to just give it away. I do also understant the buyers/sellers market realities as well.

My 1300 still runs and looks just as good as it did off the showroom floor and I still really enjoy riding it. So for me, the wind up is that for now I will just keep riding my VTX as along as I can, and when I can't ride anymore, I guess I'll just have to deal with that then.

I am still riding at 73 and it will break my heart when that comes to an end. Until then enjoy every moment when riding.

·
Old Goat
24,081 Posts
Reading various want ads ....I counted 25 and then stopped counting for sale with in driving distance of my home 1800 and 1300...prices ranged from fair to ridiculous....I use to ride weather permitting...now its health...Ive decided to ride when I can...given the going price for our bikes...most likely leave to family...several young folks that might appreciate it.....good luck...:thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
At 72 and thinking about a trike kit. Anyone else pondering this option? My first set of wheels was a trike when I was still in diapers now I’ve gone full circle and the next step depends😏

·
Old Goat
24,081 Posts
At 72 and thinking about a trike kit. Anyone else pondering this option? My first set of wheels was a trike when I was still in diapers now I’ve gone full circle and the next step depends��
Great minds think alike.....:thumbup: “May the circle be unbroken”

·
Registered
181 Posts
At 72 and thinking about a trike kit. Anyone else pondering this option? My first set of wheels was a trike when I was still in diapers now I’ve gone full circle and the next step depends😏
I have looked into trike kit or just buying one, but that could get mighty pricie. Still, I think it would give me and my VTX1300 a new lease on riding again...?

https://www.hheastexmotorsports.com/custom-12
https://www.unbcustoms.com/vtx-trikes

I have found several more folks out there who are offering trike kits for VTX's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
VTX market

I too have, on occasions, thought of selling my “big red tractor.”
I however, love riding it to work and back too much to do so.
The non existent resale value is indeed a motivator to keep it but its also hard thing to justify when
Triumph’s new Rocket 3 GT weighs 100 lbs less than my lovable unaccessorized “tractor.”

21 - 40 of 56 Posts