Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k., this may sound a little dumn, but better safe than sorry. What are best points to strap my bike to the trailer? I have a front wheel chock to locate the bike and tie down loops for the front. A couple of questions to clear my muddled brain. The trailer has tie down points built into the deck on all 4 corners.
1). Should the front fork springs be compressed or just snug the straps up enough to keep the bike upright and held in place?
2). What's the best spot on rear of bike to strap to?
3). Are the front straps suppose to carry most of the strain?

Please leap in with your thoughts and opinions on this. I wish to transport the bike safely without messing up something on the bike.

Thanks much.

Dray

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trailering your bike

First let me say I've never trailered a motorcycle. I sold a bike at the end of the year last year to a man that was trading in buying and selling and was always using a trailer. As I watched him tie the bike off he pulled the front shocks down hard. No more than he could get by hand but pretty tight just the same. He tied off the back looped through the back wheel, then also to a luggage rack on the bike. Again, pretty tight. The bike was an 04 Suzuki M50 Bolivard, so about 200lbs lighter than an 1800 VTX.

G

·
I am not an expert but I have asked the same question before trailering mine and this is what I do. I bought a RAD Industries trailer http://www.radindustriesinc.com/motorcy ... cutive.php
I use those nylon straps around my triple tree. I have a lightbar and this keeps the straps from wearing on them while it running down the road. If I did not have a light bar I would grap the bars. I compress the springs enough so the bike side to side does not let either stap loosen up. So by rocking the bike side to side Imake sure both straps stay tight. Then I use those nylon strap around my brackets the hold backrest/luggage rack on and pull those thight to keep backend from bouncing. I leave bike in gear and trvel it that way has wrkied well the times I have done it. Anybody out there got any better ways let us hear from ya!

·
Registered
266 Posts
trailer

2002 1800S

I have both... a flat top (open) trailer and a new Toy Hauler (enclosed).

On both...all I do is tie the front down via the front forks....pulling the bike into the front wheel chock. I do not compress the front forks very far but I do make sure the straps are firmly secured.

For the rear... I simply take two more straps and secure the rear wheel so it can not buck sideways. It doesnt have to be very tight at all....just enough to keep it from moving left to right.

Richmond VA to Sturgis SD and back last year, over 3000 miles....no problems. Lots of other trips locally.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I make sure I put straps on the back of the bike as well as the front. If something bad happens holding the ass end of the bike to the trailer is gonna be a good thing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys for the info. All I need is for the bike to fall off the trailer. My wife would never let me hear the end of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
One thing that I would add to all of the good advice above, is to buy a couple of golf club covers, those big soft ones work best. Cut out the end, and run your tie down strap thru them. This will protect your triple t's or handlebars better than just the nylon strap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts