Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
Good on ya mate….I think I would have said FAK it and called a Uber…..thanks for sharing…..

Last time I dropped mine on the right side….out in the middle of nowhere…too weak to pick up(shouldn’t have been riding)flagged down the first passerby and we picked it up…got my azz back to the la-zy boy…

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I had the wrong tires on a KLR on the wrong trails once. That was just a long day ion the hot sun. I went from fearing I'd have a heart attack to welcoming one ... LOL

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ouch. That is a very heavy bike to be lifting by yourself in mud. Not a good combination at all.
Lucky that he managed to squat that. Wow.
When I go on the trails, I am confident that I can pick up my one-banger dirt-bike by myself, even with my bum leg. But it is much lighter than this one.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Knobby tires would just help you get into a really impossible situation with that bike......
Yup,the bad decision was deciding it was a dirt bike. The worse decision was to press an already bad situation. It's not quitting when masochism is unpleasant. That's just smart.

Reactions: RBS and DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Some of that good ol' Alabama clay that Garth sings about did me in on my Suzuki GS1000G. Didn't know the lift with your legs thing, and thankfully some good ol' boys drove by and gave me a hand....or four.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Not meaning anything at all about the bike but as well as wrong tyres I think he had wrong bike. A BMW would have been a better choice perhaps. Just saying.
A smaller BMW is better. (y)
A Kawi KLX300 with aggressive knobbies would have been a blast. A Honda450 ... even more fun.

Some people love to choose the wrong tool for the job. Maybe so they can get that feeling of accomplishment. This guy says he's had a run in with depression. For me, I'd be looking for fun things to do, not the most difficult, almost impossible position of taking a full sized ADV with dual purpose tires on an Enduro trail.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I agree with you, the KLX300 is a blast. However, I believe that on this trail it would be a giant yawn. The KLX would be an overklll for a flat trail with a mud puddle. She is built for actual offroading, stairs, logs, jumps, wheelies.
The Pan America weight more than double. Not easy to lift 500+ lbs in a slippery muddy spot.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I agree with you, the KLX300 is a blast. However, I believe that on this trail it would be a giant yawn. The KLX would be an overklll for a flat trail with a mud puddle. She is built for actual offroading, stairs, logs, jumps, wheelies.
The Pan America weight more than double. Not easy to lift 500+ lbs in a slippery muddy spot.
Yeah, I think that's where Lofty was going too. The BMW flat twin carries its, substantial weight, way down low. With it's girth, potentially easier to make upright.

A bike that size for a track like that, by choice, is not something that should be taken lightly, by any rider. A new ... brand new, $20K+ bike with street rubber on it? Well it's better than taking a new R1 on that trail, but either way, you end up owning a slightly used new bike.

It would be one way to get that Pan America into your stable though.
"Sorry honey .. they made me buy it!"

Which has me thinking.

I was in a town about 3 hours east for the weekend and the dealer there had 2 new and one demo available .... HMMMMM

Shhhhh ... don't tell my wife!

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
A bike that size for a track like that, by choice, is not something that should be taken lightly, by any rider.
Imagine taking your VTX on a flat dirt trail. I would not be afraid. But I would bring 5 friends to help me lift her WHEN I drop her. I am not skilled enough to weave that heavy thing around tree trunks on dirt or mud. I can do it on the knobby tires on my KLX but not on the street tires on my VTX.

Didn't somebody post a funny video of VTX offroading recently? I was laughing hard because those kids had some skills, riding those behemoths through dirt and jumping over obstacles. I think one had a trailer, no?

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Imagine taking your VTX on a flat dirt trail. I would not be afraid. But I would bring 5 friends to help me lift her WHEN I drop her. I am not skilled enough to weave that heavy thing around tree trunks on dirt or mud. I can do it on the knobby tires on my KLX but not on the street tires on my VTX.

Didn't somebody post a funny video of VTX offroading recently? I was laughing hard because those kids had some skills, riding those behemoths through dirt and jumping over obstacles. I think one had a trailer, no?
I don't remember that. I have seen a couple of totally Mad Max'd Sportsters with knobbies that would have eaten up that back trail. But again, that doesn't come without a special skill set. A VTX ... OMG:oops:

In Ontario there's a guy .. Clinton Smout, that runs a school for off-roading a GS1200. With the correct skill set, it doesn't look that tough. BUT, if you don't have that skill set, you should just stick to the hardpan and out of the muck. It's a lot like rising a raceday on a track when you've never run a lap before. I'm sure our @chuck_VTX F has seen that before. You just put yourself at great risk. In the track day instance you also put others at risk, but either way, you get to look like a noob.

Reactions: RBS and DrDolittle
1 - 20 of 50 Posts