Honda VTX Forum banner

Trip up into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada 7/21 - 28

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cheney 
#1 ·
We're leaving Saturday, July 21st from York Maine, traveling up the coast, to Calais, Maine, overnight, then into New Brunswick (Sussex area) where we're renting a cabin for 5 days. Returning via Boothbay Harbor, ME for an overnight there on the 27/28th.

Traveling with 3 VTX's - my 1800S, my wife's 1300s, and my buddy's 1300S. Wife and I are riding solo, buddy and his wife are riding together.

Any specifically nice rides in S. New Brunswick that we should be sure check out? Any other tips for Eastern Canada, or Canada in general? I know that they have a nationwide helmet law, and radar detectors are forbidden. Bikes are all up-to-date with Maine State Inspection/Insurance/Registration, and they don't make obscene amounts of noise, although they all have after-market exhausts (with baffles).

Ride Safe!

Lonnie in Berwick, Maine

#2 ·
We made it back safe and sound. On the three bikes, over 1550 miles; one burned-out Aux. driving light, and both speaker brackets on my wife's VTX1300 broke due to a 10km washboard-gravel road in and out of our cabin. Zero VTX-related breakdowns. Very impressive.

Went up to Sussex, NB, then day trips all over - Hopewell Rocks, Fundy National Park (great drive - you have the road to yourself), Prince Edward Island (long trip, and the bridge is $0 to go out, $17.75 to come back)... lots of great drives in NB.

Tip One: Canadian drivers like to drive fast. Very fast. If you're a fast driver, you'll love it. If you're not a fast driver, you're going to have traffic crawling up your butt. You've been warned.

Tip Two: Most days it's very windy in New Brunswick and PEI. We had 45-mph gusts at times. Be ready for that. It'll wear you down, and give you windburn on top of your sunburn.

Tip Three: Gas is expensive - $5.20/gallon on the highway.

Tip Three: Food is expensive - $40 for lunch, just sandwiches, without drinks (if you have a pint or two expect a $70 tab)

Tip Four: The people are VERY friendly. Especially other motorcyclists. A comment to one guy at a little store in Alma, NB ("How do you like your VTX?") elicited a half-our conversation and some great tips on rides and destinations.

Overall, a great trip, with little rain. Highly recommend!

#3 ·
I got back on Thursday from a trip through the New England states, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. While in Portland, ME, I visited the Portland Head Light (what a scenic place).

I agree with you that (1) Canada has some crazy fast drivers and (2) Canada gas prices are outrageous (1.29/litre).

I'm glad you all had a great trip and I plan to get up to New Brunswick and Price Edward Island in the next year to two. If you ever take a trip to Quebec, Parliament Hill in Ottawa is cool place to visit.

#5 ·
I got back on Thursday from a trip through the New England states, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. While in Portland, ME, I visited the Portland Head Light (what a scenic place).

I agree with you that (1) Canada has some crazy fast drivers and (2) Canada gas prices are outrageous (1.29/litre).

I'm glad you all had a great trip and I plan to get up to New Brunswick and Price Edward Island in the next year to two. If you ever take a trip to Quebec, Parliament Hill in Ottawa is cool place to visit.
just to let you know gas has hit $1.48/Litre x 4 aprox. $5.92 a gallon its freaken crazy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.