Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I may go on a trip.We'll each be on our own bikes.I have the 02 Retro.The trip will be about 2200 round trip.What should I take with me?Tools?etc;I have never been on a trip this far with a bike.May go to S.C.from WI.Any help or advice would be great. :mcrider:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Take lots of pictures too! But most of all...Have Fun :D 8)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Cruise Control, Ultimate seats are a must, that's alot of hours on the bike, comfort is soooo important.

Take the trip, you won't regret it, BUT you MUST go see the SMOKY MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did my first long trip last year, went to the SMOKY'S, it was so good that I took my wife and kids down to Gatlinburg for spring break.

When you're in those mountains it feels like God is at your side every step of the way.

DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Trip stuff

You need a real good tire pressure gauge. Check them cold. Gauges at airpumps will very from a few to 15 pounds off. Tire kit is a MUST! Add a small mag light and small adjustable wrench to your tools.

Take 4 large garbage bags. and keep them handy. You will find several dozen uses.

Take "Lemon Pledge" wipes in a baggy for cleaning windshields. Reg pledge stuff not as good.

Sun screen. You should apply 30 minutes before riding and re-apply about every three hours you are on the road. 30 SPF

Do not over pack. Two pants, four shirts; do laundry when you get there. Avoid taking white cloths. Never went on a trip when we didn't buy shirts.

Use bandanas and leave all the blow, cook and curl hair stuff at home.

Shorts and sandles for the pool and laundry time. Take laundry soap packets with you.

Leathers, Leathers, Leathers. Light gloves and heavy gloves.

If your tying on baggage use ratching tiedown. Everything else will let loads shift.

Keep loads as low as possable.

I do not book in route motels in advance. Stop and smell the roses when ever you like. it is your trip.

Have a blast!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Chiefrider said:
My wife and I may go on a trip.We'll each be on our own bikes.I have the 02 Retro.The trip will be about 2200 round trip.What should I take with me?Tools?etc;I have never been on a trip this far with a bike.May go to S.C.from WI.Any help or advice would be great. :mcrider:
"TOOLS" You Don't need no stinken tools, you ride an X.
Well every one else all ready covered what you would need, but don't forget your bell.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Things I always carry in my bags:

First aid kit
Fix a flat for emergency repairs (tube tires)
Tool kit & extra wire
Flashlight
Maps
Tire Gauge
Extra light bulbs & fuses
Spare spark plugs
Sunscreed
Extra sunglasses
Tie downs
Extra gloves
Rain suit (trips more than one day)
Bike cover (overnight trips)
Probably some other things I have forgotten

Plus credit cars and cell phone. Clothes, etc I carry in my T bag.

I believe in the power of Murphy and the old scout motto.......Be Prepared!

Scarecrow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts