Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A colleague approached me the other day to ask how I liked the VTX 1300. He is 5'5" tall and weighs about 145 pounds but has ridden bikes extensively in the past. For most people that size, I would probably suggest that the VTX1300 is too big, especially if their skill levels weren't up to snuff.

Turns out he was interested in the VTX1300C as well as the Suzuki M50 (more his size I thought) and also the Kawasaki 1600 Meanstreak which is similarly styled to the VTX1300C

I ride the VTX1300S and go at 5'10" tall @ 175 pounds with long arms/legs and a short back. This bike fits me and my wife perfectly and makes for a comfortable 2-up distance cruiser. John told me his wife has no aspirations to ride and he prefers the racier styling of the short fendered models to the retro look.

We have a dealer in town who handles all 4 Japanese brands as well as Triumph and Ducati. Wanting to help a brother out, I decided to stop in after work and compare the various rides he was considering and give him my honest evaluation.

I've never actually sat on a 1300C before. WOW! What a difference between a VTX1300S and 1300C. I left the bike on the sidestand so I could place both feet on the pegs and grab the handle bars. Immediately, I could feel the strain across my shoulders as my arms were straight out to reach the drag style bars. My feet were also much further forward than I would find comfortable for any distance. On the "S" model, I can move my feet forward and back a good 8" and position myself into a mode similar to that of riding a Standard style motorcycle. This is nice for a break. Another thing I noticed on the "C" was that I had to turn my foot inward to get under the shift lever. I have no such issues with the floorboards on the "S" model. My foot just rests comfortably underneath the shift lever. Thinking again about my smaller colleague, there was no way that I could recommend he buy the VTX1300C, at least with stock bars and peg position.

Next up, the new Suzuki M50. This was a comfortable fit and I know the performance would be adequate with the bikes lighter weight and his small stature. However, I've owned an 800cc Suzuki and the revs can get a little annoying at freeway speeds. That little sucker can motor though and it looks pretty tough in Black with the Black Mag Wheels.

Alas, they did not have a Meanstreak in stock so I hit the Internet to search everything I could find. Hmm! This is a nice bike. Even found one comparison between it and a VTX 1300C. The things that I had noticed came up in the review. The Meanstreak has risers which pull back and the pegs are further rearward as well. It comes equipped with features like self cancelling turn signals, clock, fuel gauge, positive neutral finder, fuel injection, dual front disc brakes, tachometer, a top mounted ignition key which is removeable after the bike is started, etc. etc. The tank is seamless for a very clean look and it also appears to be wearing something akin to drag pipes in stock form. Of course, it is the requisite Single Crankpin design. Feature wise, it is typical Kawasaki although it is indeed priced somewhat higher than a VTX1300C.

I sent him an email summarizing my findings and said that if I were in the market for that style of motorcycle, I'd be taking a long hard look at the MeanStreak.

He checked out the three bikes and concurred with my findings. He couldn't handle the stretch of the VTX1300C, liked the Suzuki, but settled on a Black MeanStreak which fit him much better than the Honda. Money is not an object for him but he got an awesome deal about 70 miles out of town and rode it home last Saturday.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the parking lot at work soon.

Does this make me a heretic?

P.S. It's black so it should be fast. After reading some performance specs on-line, there is no way I'll be challenging him on my 1300S. The 1500cc Meanstreak ran 99mph in the quarter and all the reviews talk about the improvement in bottom end and mid-range with the 1600cc upgrade. A VTX1800 will still eat it's lunch but exceeding 100 mph in the quarter mile elevates the Meanstreak into the "Power Cruiser" class.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Get a rope boys!!! :lol: Like many have said, it's not what you ride, just that you (or he) ride. All's good in my book.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
They make a 1300 other than the Retro ????? :D
Who knew ?
Spencer :twisted:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Price

What kind of deal did he get?

I myself might have been a meanstreak owner if not for the dumbass salesmen at Kaw. They had the bike I wanted but it was still in the crate. I told them I would like to see it put together before we deal. So, they told me they would call when it was ready.... They never called. I get this alot being only 23, most salesmen dont think I really have the money to buy. So, I went to the Honda dealership looked at a 04 1300C (black of course) and payed them cash for it! To bad for those Kaw salesmen!!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
:shock: So I'm short? is that why people are supprised when they see my X? I'm 5'4" TALL? Maybe not so tall, however with 4" risers and having my seat custom cut for my rear, I have 22K+ on my 2 year old X. I too, prefer the look of the C model and chose the S due to rider comfort considerations. I like the mean streak and the reviews make it a good choice, seat height included. For cruzer styling and seat concerns the Road Star isn't bad either.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I ride a C and have none of the issues Clayton mentions. I am 6 feet tall and that's probably the difference (plus I am not overweight). I can use the retro handlebars on my C I guess. It will probably get me in a more relaxed position. Other than that I believe the C is a very easy to handle bike.

M

·
0 Posts
Clayton Root said:
...Does this make me a heretic?...
Quite the contrary. We know that bikes fit each rider differently. Not only can folks get into trouble by purchasing too powerful a bike for their abilities but ill-fitting bikes purchased as status symbols can be just as hazardous to that rider. You did your colleague a favor with your research but the ultimate decision to purchase was his. I'm sure he'll be thanking you for the research down the road.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I chose the sportier C model because of the pegs being forward and you could lean a little more into a turn than the others without scraping. The bars did make me lean forward so I added the Thinman risers. I couldn't be happier. Everyone is different and it's great that there are enough bikes out there that we can choose from to make us all happy. :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've just got to dump this C now. You guys have made me hate this bike.

NOT!!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I am 5'5" and I find the ergonomics of the mean streak displeasing. I would rather have the C with risers, as it sits lower into the bike. My S fits me fine, with a mustang seat even. If I was going to buy an Kawasaki, the only bike I like is the 1600 Classic...in white....

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Georgiapeach said:
I am 5'5" and I find the ergonomics of the mean streak displeasing. I would rather have the C with risers, as it sits lower into the bike. My S fits me fine, with a mustang seat even. If I was going to buy an Kawasaki, the only bike I like is the 1600 Classic...in white....
Like this one? I like it too.Very well finished bike...... :D Rod

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm 6' 1" 200# and have an 04 c and I do find the handlbars a bit uncomfortable sometimes. Cruising the back country roads seems fine but on the highway I seem to feel some strain in the back. But I only have 300 miles on the bike so far in the 10 days I've owned it. Other than that I love the bike. I'll have to take a look at those Thinman risers though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am 5' tall and ride a Black VTX1300C very well..............That was before Hipshot lowered it 2" and changed the handlebars.. :shock:

Now you better get out of my way...... :lol: :lol:

I also took the Basic MSF and the Advance Riders Course. It just depends on how well you know your bike and how well you know how to ride.

There are some guys and gals no matter how tall or short that don't need to be on a bike period.

Just my opinion and 2 cents.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think this proves body type can dictate which bike you should have. I’m 5’7” I have short legs and arms but a long torso. When I sat on my C in the show room it felt like it was made for me. I didn’t even test ride it, I have just under 12,000 miles and I’m still on the stock seat, in fact everything is still stock. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :D

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
X13 said:
I think this proves body type can dictate which bike you should have. I’m 5’7” I have short legs and arms but a long torso. When I sat on my C in the show room it felt like it was made for me. I didn’t even test ride it, I have just under 12,000 miles and I’m still on the stock seat, in fact everything is still stock. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :D
Is that a clear brake light cover ?????? Just couldn't leave it alone
could you ????? Stock not good enough for you :D
Spencer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not recommend a " C " .........................blasphemy !!!!!!!!!!!!

:pepper1: :pepper1: :pepper1: :pepper1: :pepper1:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Spencer said:
Is that a clear brake light cover ?????? Just couldn't leave it alone could you ????? Stock not good enough for you :D
Spencer
Good eye Spencer. Brake and turn signals. Alright I concede "almost" stock. :wink:

X13

1 - 17 of 17 Posts