Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World Bike Build-Off

Over the past few months we have been involved in the production of a TV program call the World Bike Build-off. Having an opportunity to represent Australia in this kind of show was a great honour for myself and the boys in the shop.

Mid December saw Grant and myself in LA meeting the other contestants, Martin Brothers from Texas and Exile Cycles from L.A. (read Britain). The executives from the production company gave us a basic set of rules and a two-month deadline to produce, in front of cameras, a motorcycle each from the ground up. We were to meet at Daytona bike week in early March for a vote to be given by the public at the Rats Hole show. Each bike would be supposedly anonymous to make the voting fair.

By early January I had designed what I thought would be the most innovative bike possible with considerable attention to hand make parts that were truly unique. Building a bike in front of TV cameras is an experience I am unlikely to ever forget (hang on, come into shot again and drill that hole again! - Excuse me??!)

We decided mostly due to registration confinements in our country, to build a bike with a standard length front end and make all the body parts radical. Greg Shephard, from E.C. Custom, a good friend, supplied the necessary drive train components to make this machine a true powerhouse. We used a S&S 124" engine, Baker Right Drive transmission and a B.D.L. 3" belt primary drive. The wheels were sourced through Primo in L.A. and cut to an unusual pattern to suit this machine (marketed as the Discovery Wheel). We used the new 290 x 18" Metzler rear tyre and a 19" front.

Forward controls and hand controls were sourced through O.M.P. in Italy, as well the as the brake callipers.

The frame of this bike is an all steel construction to handle the 130 horsepower put out by this engine. I decided to construct all the body panels from aluminium and house the frame within the panels to give the impression that the machine is all alloy. The build went relatively smoothly and on time (actual build time was 35 days). My compliments to the boys in the shop, who's dedication to this project saw one of the most stunning and powerful bikes we have ever constructed. During testing, this machine broke traction through every gear change, the power to weight rate ratio is phenomenal.

Once landing in Daytona and unveiling the bike to a small crowd at Thunder Mountain Custom Cycles, we were impressed by the overwhelming response of the punters in attendance. Everything possible was done to ensure that the machine was kept covered for the rest of the week leading up to the show on the Saturday. Unfortunately for us this wasn't the case with the other bikes and by the day of the show everybody already knew which country each bike came from. Never the less the other bikes were both outstanding machines in their own right and the builders can be truly proud of what they created.

The World Biker Build Off is to be aired on Discovery Channel Australia 3rd, 4th and 5th January 2005 @ 9:30pm with following repeats all throughout January.

Cheers Scotty.

http://www.scottys-choppers.com.au/bike ... index.html

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
They don't let you link pictures from their website. We can't see them unless we go to their website. Thanks for the link though.

·
Registered
898 Posts
WOW! it's got my vote.

Personally, I'd be afraid to ride it, not that I'd wreck, just that finger prints would definately show.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

Frickin' wicked dude! And I always thought you were from Rhode Island! (r. i.) How'd you place in the build-off?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts