Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a way to mount a luggage rack and/or trunk with the Corbin beetle bags on an 1800 C? With this model, Corbin supplies the rear fender as well as the bags.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This takes some time and careful measurements but I was very pleased with the results. Email me if you are interested in more detail or pictures of the finished product .

I used Home Depot SAE bolt extenders to move the bags away from the fender about 1". The bolt extenders have to be cut to different lengths to keep the front and rear of the bags an even distance from the fender. The bag side of the BB bolts must also be trimmed so that only half of the extender is filled by the BB bolt. This will leave several threads for the hex bolts used to attach the bags.

I used the Honda deluxe backrest and mounts. I drilled the front hole of the mounts just enough so that the fender side, round part of the BB bolt would go through. This allowed the points of the hex section to hold the mount. The center hole does not need to be drilled. I used a metric hex head for the center hole. The rear BB bolt does not go througth the mounts but will help to support the backrest since the mounts do sit on top of the rear bolts.

I used Home Depot 2" rubber fender washers between the mounts and the fender rails. SAE hex heads and washers are used to attach the bags to the bolt extenders.

The R/S/C model BBs use a third rear bolt low on the fender. I used a bolt extender as a spacer and a long hex head bolt. I covered the extenders with a section of rubber drain hose. My bike is black and I didn't like the way the silver extenders broke up the shadow between the bags and fender.

The overall result is that the bags are closer to the fender than any standard hard bag but there is a 1" gap between the top edge of the BBs and the fender.

All this just so I can order an Ultimate Big Boy seat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beetle Bags

Thanks Wildthang!
Do you have, or can you show, any closeups and pics from the back of the bike?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
There are a couple of ways of doing it. I think WildTng's method is the easiest.
I did it this way:

I ended up with about 1/2 inch gap maybe 3/4 inch.

dd

·
Registered
303 Posts
I made some custom brackets so I could also mount a Corbin Trunk. The bags only had to be spaced out 3/16" so you can't even notice the gap. Wasn't an easy project but I sure was satisfied with the results. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures as I went along.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,
That looks fantastic and is exactly what I was looking for. Everything looks like it fits the bike just like it should.

I have been trying to get the local custom shop to do mine precisely like what you have done, but they couldn't get a grip on how to do it. My X is at their shop now, and they have been contemplating what to do.

I am going tomorrow to pick it up, or continue the process. That being the case, do you have or will you make any pics of the brackets that I can show them?

Thanks,

Bobby Oliver

·
Registered
303 Posts
let's see if I can at least explain how I did it. I started with a rack and brackets from JC Whitney. It was the only bracket that fit between the fender and the fender rails. To get them to fit I had to put the right side on the left and vice versa. Then I did a little bending to get them to fit to the
contour of the fenders. The only problem was they were a little too light duty and cracked from the weight of the trunk. I took them off and used them as
a template to cut out some new brackets. Started with 3/16 steel. Once cut
to the shape of the old brackets it was time to get them to fit to the fender.
It was a slow process of heating and bending in a vice until they fit the fender perfectly. Because they were thicker than the original brackets, they didn't fit between the fender and the rails. I had to grind down the outside edges of the rails to allow clearance for the brackets. Once I had everything fitting perfectly I the sanded the metal smooth and painted silver. I know pictures say more than a thousand words but I didn't take any pics while I was doing this project. Sorry I can't be more help to you.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
bEETLE BAGS ARE TIGHT AS A TICK...

This takes some time and careful measurements but I was very pleased with the results. Email me if you are interested in more detail or pictures of the finished product .

I used Home Depot SAE bolt extenders to move the bags away from the fender about 1". The bolt extenders have to be cut to different lengths to keep the front and rear of the bags an even distance from the fender. The bag side of the BB bolts must also be trimmed so that only half of the extender is filled by the BB bolt. This will leave several threads for the hex bolts used to attach the bags.

I used the Honda deluxe backrest and mounts. I drilled the front hole of the mounts just enough so that the fender side, round part of the BB bolt would go through. This allowed the points of the hex section to hold the mount. The center hole does not need to be drilled. I used a metric hex head for the center hole. The rear BB bolt does not go througth the mounts but will help to support the backrest since the mounts do sit on top of the rear bolts.

I used Home Depot 2" rubber fender washers between the mounts and the fender rails. SAE hex heads and washers are used to attach the bags to the bolt extenders.

The R/S/C model BBs use a third rear bolt low on the fender. I used a bolt extender as a spacer and a long hex head bolt. I covered the extenders with a section of rubber drain hose. My bike is black and I didn't like the way the silver extenders broke up the shadow between the bags and fender.

The overall result is that the bags are closer to the fender than any standard hard bag but there is a 1" gap between the top edge of the BBs and the fender.

All this just so I can order an Ultimate Big Boy seat.
yOU COULD'NT PUT A POSTCARD BETWEEN THE BAGS AND THE FENDER AND THE SWEET LEATHER cORBIN SEATS ARE AWESOME. bLESSED AND know it!
Be Safe
Blurbn:firstplace:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drone with Corbin bags

I am getting a lot of drone from the Jardine exhausts, and can't figure out what to do about it. Without the bags, I don't have the feedback situation. I am thinking that the exhaust noise is resonating up thru the bags, and directly to the rider and passenger. I repacked the mufflers, and even added an extension on them to run them flush to the ends of the bags.
Have you guys that run the Corbin BB's had the same problem, and if so, what have you done to diminish it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts