Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after procrastinating for a couple years i want to finally pull the trigger on some hard bags. I like the look of the tsukayu quick detach bags because of the way they wrap around rear turn signals without relocating the lights. Their website says the bags with quick detach will only work with stock pipes. Long story short i emailed and he said quick detach still work if your aftermarket pipes are lower than stock ones. Anybody have the tsukayu quick detach bags with aftermarket pipes. I've got Vance and Hines bigshots.

·
Registered
661 Posts
There are 2 designs. A regular height and a longer height. As long as your aftermarket pipes are the same or lower than the factory, the regular height bags will fit. Where you need to measure is if you want the taller bags.

My understanding is these are the best available bags for our bikes (that are actually designed for our bikes). I will be getting the taller bags in the near future. I have their GPS batwing fairing, and am very happy with it. Well worth it.

I hope to get the bags as my next winter project. Then the next winter after that, I’ll repaint the entire bike (factory silver, or come up with a 2 toned design silver and black).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting i only see the one size for quick detach bags. I know there is different heights for the other hard bags like jumbo strong and strong bags. Anyone that still has stock pipes measure from ground to the top of it so i can compare to my vnh pipes?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Interesting i only see the one size for quick detach bags. I know there is different heights for the other hard bags like jumbo strong and strong bags. Anyone that still has stock pipes measure from ground to the top of it so i can compare to my vnh pipes?
The jumbo are quick detach as well. I know there are a couple for the R/T/S models, I’m not sure if there are multiple sizes for C models.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've read your posts here and I'm not clear which VTX model you have, R/T/S or C.

I've got a 2002 S with Tsukayu VTX bags and Cobra aftermarket pipes. Gotta say, I've got lots of room between the bottom of the bags and the pipes.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've read your posts here and I'm not clear which VTX model you have, R/T/S or C.

I've got a 2002 S with Tsukayu VTX bags and Cobra aftermarket pipes. Gotta say, I've got lots of room between the bottom of the bags and the pipes.
SeaSteve, you have the bags I can't wait to get. Looks like tons of room inside.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The one negative is...The bags are so big I've added too much weight and actually cracked the plastic turn indicators.

Obviously the bags are attached to the grab rail at the top and can have some "up and down swing" when bouncing down the road. The swing is amplified if the stuff in the bags is too heavy. I've replaced the lenses once and can see cracks in the turn indicators housings.

Other than that no other real issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my bad i have a 2007 1300r. Yeah i ordered the quick detach bags already I'm excited to get them. Installation easy or a real $%#^?

·
Registered
886 Posts
The installation is a simple as the YouTube video on their site.

BUT...My right bag has holes that are a little out of alignment and takes some added pushing to get them on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i ordered my quick detach bags about 2 weeks ago. They were in paint stage about a week ago and I'm hoping they ship in the next 2 weeks. I wanna put a sissy bar on so the wife feels more comfortable back there. Will any sissy bar bracket work with the quick detach saddle bags?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Jumbo quick detach bags are impressive. They take it all. They're not just super functional but the aesthetics of the bags is unlike others. I've lost count of how many compliments I've gotten from the bags. Without the trunk, the bags turn the VTX into an stunning bagger. Really, the bags enhance the VTX's look.

These bags are specific to VTXs. You won't see them on other bikes. Make sure you get the fiberglass ones although Tsukayu's ABS bags are a lot stronger than the ABS plastic used by many other brands.

The one negative is...The bags are so big I've added too much weight and actually cracked the plastic turn indicators.

Obviously the bags are attached to the grab rail at the top and can have some "up and down swing" when bouncing down the road. The swing is amplified if the stuff in the bags is too heavy. I've replaced the lenses once and can see cracks in the turn indicators housings.

Other than that no other real issues.
Do yours sit on the rear turn signals?

Mine stay solid, even when loaded to the top. If you haven't already, add some rubber/hard foam to the turn signal inserts. THat'll help with the bouncing.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys i got them last week but i was swapping out my tires and didn't want to mount them till i had both new tires back on. Rear tire is a pain in the ass without bags on already. Will get them on this week for sure. And yes i did get the fiberglass set. Haha here's a pic of them sitting on the couch. Also i believe they may have added some rubber foam where they wrap around the tail lights. Not sure if they did that before or listened to some concerns.

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Do yours sit on the rear turn signals?

Mine stay solid, even when loaded to the top. If you haven't already, add some rubber/hard foam to the turn signal inserts. THat'll help with the bouncing.
Sitting in the garage, fully loaded, the bags don't sit on the turn signals but the "stock" foam pads have indention's from touching the turn signals over time riding down the highway.

With the mounting pins just above the halfway point of the bags, The mounted bags have enough flex to allow me to push the bags from the outside and come in contact with the turn indicators. Lastly, to be fair, I may have overloaded them with more than Tsukayu's maximum recommended load of 20 lbs.

The photo from Tsukayu's website shows how close the saddlebag "hole" is to the turn signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sitting in the garage, fully loaded, the bags don't sit on the turn signals but the "stock" foam pads have indention's from touching the turn signals over time riding down the highway.

With the mounting pins just above the halfway point of the bags, The mounted bags have enough flex to allow me to push the bags from the outside and come in contact with the turn indicators. Lastly, to be fair, I may have overloaded them with more than Tsukayu's maximum recommended load of 20 lbs.

The photo from Tsukayu's website shows how close the saddlebag "hole" is to the turn signal.
I changed to rubber pads as stock ones didn't do much. Never had the indicator lenses crack or anything similar. There's probably some manufacturing leeway as far as the bags coming to spec dimensions. In fact one of my bags sits just a hair over the indicator while the other bag is about 1/2 inch away from it. You cannot tell the difference visually and the bags look perfectly matched. As said regular rubber pads do the job very well. Avoid regular foam.

It's good the bags have a little flex as otherwise they'd break. Fiberglass flexes but also absorbs and dissipates vibrations like no other material. Mutazu plastic bags have barely any flex and as soon as they start to oscillate they crack. No such thing (cracking) with fiberglass bags like ours.

How put do your bags stay when secured? Make sure you're pressing the two metal tabs in each bag all the way down. You should hear a knock when they secure fully. Just saying this I've had this happen when I first got the bags.

BTW by flex I'm talking of being able to minimally push the chassis (and not swing it!) when bags are secured. Mine are perfect and I've loaded them over 20lbs each. The bags can take a lot more without a single issue. I actually think that these bags are one of the most-carrying-capacity bags of all motorcycles (except those aluminium boxes the BMW adv. crowd carry).

I've spent a lot of money in hard bags in the past with other bikes of mine. I cannot emphasize enough how awesome these bags are. Functionally and visually. Touring with these bags is not just awesome (for lack of a better word) but the bags also offer peace of mind in that they will not crack/break/deform when you're 2000 miles away from home. I'm so glad I paid the premium (bags ain't cheap) for this peace of mind.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry guys i got them last week but i was swapping out my tires and didn't want to mount them till i had both new tires back on. Rear tire is a pain in the ass without bags on already. Will get them on this week for sure. And yes i did get the fiberglass set. Haha here's a pic of them sitting on the couch. Also i believe they may have added some rubber foam where they wrap around the tail lights. Not sure if they did that before or listened to some concerns.

I mounted the same bags last year on my 2003 1800s. Rubber foam around the tail light still allows for some rubbing, see picture, this after about 8,000 miles, but I am no worried about it (You have to take the bags off to see it).

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
I mounted the same bags last year on my 2003 1800s. Rubber foam around the tail light still allows for some rubbing, see picture, this after about 8,000 miles, but I am no worried about it (You have to take the bags off to see it).
Use thick rubber pads or automotive window stripping to layer the indicator hole on the bag. Regular foam or thin rubber padding (as comes stock) won't work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok good to know I'll definitely beef up the signals area on the bags with thicker material. Hoping to get them on tonight or tomorrow. Pics to follow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts