Honda VTX Forum banner

Tsukayu HD trunk with speakers

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Lomedicojb 
#1 ·
So I'm pulling the trigger and getting the tsukayu HD trunk that has a 1000 watt 4 channel amp and two 6x9 speakers. It comes with an aux cable to plug in an audio device and listen to music. I already have a reckless fairing with infinity head unit and four mb quartz speakers in it. The guys at tsukayu didn't seem to have a difinitive answer for me, and would like the audio expertise of a member if possible. Is there a way to hook it up so that all six speakers will play the same music from my head unit? What things do I need to find on the bike, or what parts may I need to buy to make it all work together? Or maybe I just need to do some splicing and soldering of some wires? Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Once I call to place the order, the production time is 2-5 weeks, hopefully i can get this all figured out.

#2 ·
Seems to me that you should be able to connect the aux cable input on the trunk amp to the inifinity head unit in your fairing, allowing all speakers to work playing the same music. If all else fails, you should be able to install splitters on each of the speaker outputs in the fairing, and connect the one to the current fairing speakers, and the other to the trunk amp, OR, you'd be having to split the output on the trunk amp, and run one set of speaker wires up to the fairing infinity unit aux input, instead. In either case, you're probably going to have to be soldering some wires.

#3 ·
For example, if I run splitters, I should be able to run 1 channel to one of the 6x9's in the trunk. Another channel to the other 6x9 in the trunk. Then one channel split between two speakers on left side of fairing, and then split the 4th channel between the two speakers on the right side of fairing? Or maybe I'm way off.

#6 ·
I went and looked at the specs for the 1000 watt amp and this is what you need to do. In order for this to work, your head unit (HU) needs to have 2 sets of low level preamp outputs, front and rear. That amp does not accept speaker level inputs. I am reading from your original post that you have 4 speakers in the fairing. If these are all 4 ohm speakers, you can run them in series which would result in a 8 ohm load for the front channel. The amp shows stable to 2 ohm, but that is usually only applicable if you are using a single channel or bridging the channel to a single subwoofer. The 2 6x9 speakers will wire to the amp as the rear channel and run in a 4 ohm load on the rear channel. Run the remote wire from the HU to the amp and you will also need to run a 10 gauge wire to power the amp. I would suggest using a relay and have it switch off with the starter button so it kicks the amp and radio out when you are starting the bike.

The 1000 watt claim is pie in the sky as the RMS power is about 250 total. I have a 180 watt RMS amp running 4 5.25" speakers in my fairing and can hear it fine. If I saw your profile correct and you have an 1800, you should be ok on power. I would suggest changing bulbs to led if you haven't already. With the power draw the amp will have, I would suggest saving watts anywhere you can in reason. Do yourself a favor and get a wattage gauge to know when you are pulling too much power. This would also replace any amp you might be using for the fairing speakers.

#4 ·
Lots of factors in your situation. Are you driving the speakers in the fairing with an amp? Is the input for the amp RCA inputs or speaker level? What OHM are the speakers rated at? What is the OHM range for the amp? What is the amp in the trunk? There is so much more to just twisting some wires together and hoping for the best.

#5 ·
Good questions, @prkuehn. I had assumed that there was an amp in the fairing, though I could be wrong, and OP said that the trunk came with a 1000 watt amp, but none of the connectors were mentioned, except the Aux input. Ohm range might make a difference, though almost all vehicle stereos/speakers are typically 8 ohms, IIRC.
@Lomedicojb, just so you know, you DON'T want to take a speaker output from the amp in the fairing and connect it to the input on the amp in the trunk, or you'll likely blow the speakers back there. To take an already amplified signal from the amp in the fairing, and further amplify it with the amp in the trunk would probably be too much for the speakers in the trunk to handle. You could maybe get away with using the Aux input on the trunk amp, though I would make sure that the "gain"/"boost"/volume on the trunk amp was turned down to almost nothing so you don't have problems.

#7 ·
Ok thanks for all the help. Although upon first read, it's like reading a foreign language, I'm sure I can find an audio guy over in my area that could hopefully help me. I think the head unit had a built in amp. The guys that did the install said I wouldn't be able to blow the speakers with the current wattage, but if I went aftermarket, I'd need to be careful. I figured the amp that will come with the trunk isn't as glamourus as it seemed. I did get an LED headlight from a guy here in my state, so next will be led bulbs in my blinkers.

#10 ·
Like @prkuehn said, you should be able to connect the infinity preamp outputs to the trunk amp inputs, and everything should be fine, but your trunk speakers will probably be louder than the fairing speakers. Should play together, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.