Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had the quick detach bags for my 2007 1300r for a few years now. Love the bags but since day 1 I've had an issue with the left bag sitting a bit lower and pushing against the signal light. I've tried angling the brackets every which way to have it sit higher off the light like the right bag does. But nothing I do has worked and it's scuffing the bag as well as the cheap plastic chrome look finish on the light. Anyone else have this issue and what did you do to remedy it. The picture is from awhile ago its sitting even lower now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't have that problem, but a solution is to put washers between the fender brackets and the fender rail. This will space out the bag some. You may need longer bolts, or you might be able to get away with using the same bolts.

If you need a ton of washers, you can always get a piece of pipe or a larger nut to fill the gap. I used an oversize chrome nut to space out my right floorboard so my exhaust would fit. The inner diameter of the nut is larger than the treads of the bolt, so it just acts as a hard spacer.

You will see with the design, that the light cutout is larger, so there will be more room above and below the light as you space the bag out.

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
I don't have that problem, but a solution is to put washers between the fender brackets and the fender rail. This will space out the bag some. You may need longer bolts, or you might be able to get away with using the same bolts.

If you need a ton of washers, you can always get a piece of pipe or a larger nut to fill the gap. I used an oversize chrome nut to space out my right floorboard so my exhaust would fit. The inner diameter of the nut is larger than the treads of the bolt, so it just acts as a hard spacer.

You will see with the design, that the light cutout is larger, so there will be more room above and below the light as you space the bag out.
'Hard spacer' = bushing. Search in hardware specialty drawers. Nylon or bronze work well.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should've mentioned before I did use washers as spacers already because the front and rear brackets didn't line up properly and even before the spacers the bolts they sent me weren't long enough. I purchased some in the mean time and tsukayu was good about it and sent me longer stainless bolts no question asked. I'm going to see if adding some on the rear bracket pushes it out a bit more. My issue is why does the right one fit perfectly and the left which I've setup exactly the same way and with the same angle on the brackets just won't sit properly. Believe me I've adjusted a million times and every time it looks good and I put the wrenches down it goes back to resting on the turn signal.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I should've mentioned before I did use washers as spacers already because the front and rear brackets didn't line up properly and even before the spacers the bolts they sent me weren't long enough. I purchased some in the mean time and tsukayu was good about it and sent me longer stainless bolts no question asked. I'm going to see if adding some on the rear bracket pushes it out a bit more. My issue is why does the right one fit perfectly and the left which I've setup exactly the same way and with the same angle on the brackets just won't sit properly. Believe me I've adjusted a million times and every time it looks good and I put the wrenches down it goes back to resting on the turn signal.
You might want to consider going with smaller aftermarket indicators then. Or, remove the rubber spacer on the OEM indicator to make it more narrow...

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
It looks like the left is further out and the bag is angling back into the bike. It looks like either the bracket itself is bent or else the spacers are allowing for the bag to move back in?

If it was me I would check both the bracket and the spacers. A good test (but its a pain) would be to switch brackets and see if it still does it on the left or not. If you do and the right one lands on the light then you found your culprit.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a similar problem, but just a lite scuffing. When I installed the Tsukayu Tour box, It moved the bags out probably 1/4" and that took away the turn signals rubbing. So, using a spacer is about the only thing you can do without opening another mod to the turn signals.
I like what Mowoc suggested. Would certainly confirm or rule out a difference in the brackets. If bad, Tsukayu should send you a new set of brackets for the left.
I really like these bags for the most part. Come off in less than a minute for maintenance on the bike. Just wish they set lower on the bike (2").
;)

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 7 of 7 Posts