Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I have taukayu bags. The bags had a wire come loose and I attempted to fix it. There are two little capacitors or something in the bag by the light - it came loose there.

After I pulled it and attempted to fix it, none of the turn signals work at all. I checked the fuses behind the right side cover and they are all good. The horn works, so I don't think thats it. Any ideas? I need to get this fixed in the next day or so as I am headed to sturgis - hate to do that without turn signals.

Edit: This is a 2007 T model spec 1 if it matters.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
Remove the heat shrink so we can get a better view.
Is it a load resistor? Possible if leds replaced incandescent lamps.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove the heat shrink so we can get a better view.
Is it a load resistor? Possible if leds replaced incandescent lamps.
Here it is without the heat shrink.

Wood Data transfer cable Ac adapter Tool Cable

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
Yep, load resistors to keep same load as incandescent bulbs for flash frequency.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, load resistors to keep same load as incandescent bulbs for flash frequency.
Thanks. Can I buy a replacement at an auto parts store? It says 20w 12rj on the side.

is that what I need to buy?

·
Premium Member
10,333 Posts
Thanks. Can I buy a replacement at an auto parts store? It says 20w 12rj on the side.

is that what I need to buy?
Those are 2ea 12ohm 20w resistors in parallel. If you want to duplicate that then that's what you'll need. Those are ceramic resistors. Or, if you get a 40W 6ohm resistor, it will be the same. Ideally you want the bigger package to help distribute the heat. These things get hot if on for a long time. For me the higher the wattage rating the better. If you can find 2ea 40w 12 ohm resistors, that's better.

You can get those from Amazon, or a local electronics supply store. Doubtful a auto supplier would have them.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tsukayu lights and the Orem up front.

Harmon, do you have a link to what I would want?

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a cheap repair - I clipped the wires and reattached them and wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape. Didn't solder yet as I don't have my iron. It works, but long term I will need a better solution. It should get me through sturgis though.

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
You can keep the 24 watt heaters aka resistors.
You can increase the resistance a bit more to produce less heat.
2 x 12 ohms, 20 watt resistors per side (6.0 ohms, 2 amps, 24 watts) normal flash rate, hot.
2 x 15 ohms, 20watt resistors per side (7.5 ohms, 1.6 amps, 19.2 watts) slightly faster flash rate, less heat..
2 x 20 ohms , 20 watt resistors per side (10 ohms, 1.2 amps, 14.4 watts ) slightly faster flash, less heat).
SM-3R >> no resistors!
Also has 4-way flasher and a few other choices.

Reactions: DrDolittle
1 - 14 of 14 Posts