Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Forum I have a 2003 VTX 1300 S and I am building a bolt on turbo kit for
And wondering who would be interested and a bolt on turbo kit for the VTX 1800 and 1300 any comments and feedback find anybody that may be interested please comment

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Hey Dewey. Some have added a turbo to the 1800 but as far as I know, never a 1300. It is a very interesting project. What do you plan to use for a carburetor and fuel system for the 1300? What do expect to sell such a kit for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody makes an aftermarket kit for the 1800 or 1300 and the Honda Fury has the same 1300 motor so they would be very Universal and I was thinking as far as price right around $1,000
You'll spend that much on a nice set of pipes an air filter alone
So what do you think if a bolt on kit became available?

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Nobody makes an aftermarket kit for the 1800 or 1300 and the Honda Fury has the same 1300 motor so they would be very Universal and I was thinking as far as price right around $1,000
You'll spend that much on a nice set of pipes an air filter alone
So what do you think if a bolt on kit became available?
Dewey. I imagine at $1000 you'd get some action. I think it important to distinguish that the 1300 in the Fury, Stateline, Interstate ... has an entirely different fueling system than that in VTX1300. There isn't a universal kit that would work on both unless you also provide a complete fuel system.

I don't mean to discourage you, but you'll need to do more research I think.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
The VT1300 engine on the Fury/Stateline?Interstate has EFI with throttle bodies and an ECU. The VTX1300 has a carb. Not even close to the same engine. Also, on the 1800 side of things, there was a supplier of turbo's for the 1800 but the last time it came around for a buy there was just a couple that went for it. There was also a Supercharger kit for the 1800 that sold a few recently

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The supercharger kit for the 1800 are online for around 5 grand and only work on the 1800
As far as the 1300 VT Ferry the motor itself is the same other than your electronic fuel and that's where you're tuning comes in the same as the 1800 vtx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no matter what bike you put it on you will have to spend the time to tune up or take it to a shop to have it done

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I just did some research the Honda Fury runs a 52-degree V-twin engine the same as the VTX 1300 and they make an adjustable Power Commander for it for two hundred bucks

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
So no matter what bike you put it on you will have to spend the time to tune up or take it to a shop to have it done
Well that is the truth. I think a big part of what you are missing is that the VTX1300 is carbureted. What exactly does that mean? Well, unlike a fuel injected engine, where a great deal of tuning (not something one can do in their driveway unless you provide the tools and maps), possibly larger injectors, an ignition and fuel management system, in itself exceeding your $1000, a carbureted engine needs more than just tuning. Fundamentally, it must, not should, but must have a blow through carb. The VTX1300 carb is not, and cannot become a blow through carb. Is it possible to fit a suitable carb? Well yes it is, but the entire system just got really complicated. Much more so than with an injected bike.

The fuel injected bikes do have fuel managers available for them. You will need an ignition module as well. Ignition timing will have to be varied with boost. Which brings another turbo problem up. Unlike a supercharger, boost VS RPM, is neither linear or repeatable. This is actually where a blow through carb is easier. It's all air velocity based. With an injected engine you must figure in boost as well. Again unlike a supercharger, you can't predict what the boost, and therefore the fuel mixture should look like at that moment. Far better a wideband closed loop ECU be used, but you will still need to know boost to control ignition timing.

I don't want to just discourage you my friend, I really don't. Just be aware, there is a lot of research you will need to do to know what you are in for. You can't just force more air in and hope it all goes well. When you boost, the engine will ping if ignition not retarded. You'll destroy the engine. If you retard the timing in anticipation of boost, it won't get out of it's own way until you build boost. It's not something you can tune out without knowing what the boost number is at every moment, and dynamically adjust for that.

Best of luck to you. Really, but I would suggest more research before you start throwing money at this.

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Very nice Doc. It shows it can certainly be done, but it's not easy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
💲💲💲💲💲 o_O:eek:👀🙏 and clamp those knees together real tight. Thanks once again Doc for a great read (y)

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
The crank and balancers inside the case are also different. To add a turbo to a X1300 you will have to find a special carb just for turbo systems that will fit on a 2 cylinder engine.
You can make anything work, but it's going to cost X1300 guys a lot more than $1,000 to get it working

·
Registered
815 Posts
The crank and balancers inside the case are also different. To add a turbo to a X1300 you will have to find a special carb just for turbo systems that will fit on a 2 cylinder engine.
You can make anything work, but it's going to cost X1300 guys a lot more than $1,000 to get it working
Wasn't there a guy on facebook (maybe this same OP) who just built a low PSI system using the stock carb?

I mean, really you are just adding boost, and you should just have to add the appropriate fuel to the system (rejeting) right?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Both these lads are still around. If anyone would know the engineering, they would.

stotz.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Wasn't there a guy on facebook (maybe this same OP) who just built a low PSI system using the stock carb?

I mean, really you are just adding boost, and you should just have to add the appropriate fuel to the system (rejeting) right?
I don't think so JPT. I've never had a 1300 carb apart, but many of these carbs rely heavily on vacuum to operate. The other issue is a gravity fed fuel system. 1 PSI is like 28 inches of H2O. As fuel is lighter, I'll let you do the math, but you'll be blowing bubbles in the tank at just 1psi. That means as the boost comes on, you will actually empty your bowl back into the tank. In order to combat that, you will need to add a fuel pump. The vacuum operated petcock would have to go too. Anything else that is vacuum referenced would need to be accounted for. The carb itself relies on vacuum for metering. It shouldn't be too big of a problem as you'd only be making boost a larger throttle openings anyway, I would think. I wouldn't say it would be impossible to make that carb a blow through carb, but there are way better options out there than trying to make that work, IMO anyway. On the other hand, superchargers have a big advantage there. Because of the limited heat in the blower itself, you can feed air/fuel into the blower. A CV carb will work pretty well in that situation. Swapping the turbine wheel in the turbo with a pulley and belt would make it a centrifugal blower that you could top with a carb.

There are carb to fuel injection changeover kits out there, but they are definitely not for the faint of heart, that is for certain.

If you really wanted to turbo a VTX1300, I think you could, but I think it would be less expensive to start with an 1800 or another injected bike. OR, you could climb the mountain, just because it's there, many have done so.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There is a guy on one of the facebook groups, that just did it with his 1300. This is within the last 2 months. I honestly thought he used the stock carb, without changing the gravity fed design. He kept the boost low, so it would require less fuel that going crazy with boost.

Edit: just looked it is a drawthrough turbo. He posted it on the "VTX 1300 Riders" facebook group. So I guess the carb is different. Posted on Oct 8 2020. Had it drivable on Nov 6th (without front brakes, he's still building).

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
There is a guy on one of the facebook groups, that just did it with his 1300. This is within the last 2 months. I honestly thought he used the stock carb, without changing the gravity fed design. He kept the boost low, so it would require less fuel that going crazy with boost.

Edit: just looked it is a drawthrough turbo. He posted it on the "VTX 1300 Riders" facebook group. So I guess the carb is different. Posted on Oct 8 2020. Had it drivable on Nov 6th (without front brakes, he's still building).
Draw through would work with a CV carb. Little would have to change, but I'd be concerned with housing temps. Definitely that could work.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't have a FB acct.

I'd like to read this.

Any links?:)

·
Registered
815 Posts
You have to get FB and join that gsoup. I thought about saving his pictures and posting it, but that wouldn’t be fair to him.

I’ll ask him to come here and post to this thread.

EDIT: I reached out to him, he’s going to post here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts