Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. I did the internal wiring on my apes and was finally able to fire up the bike today after I got all the other mods done. I fired up the bike w/o the headlight installed. (I had to epoxy an internal piece of the headlight bracket that had broken off when my daughter knocked it off the shelf...Dont ask.. >.<) Anyway, I fired it up and started checking everything to be sure the wiring in the bars was fine. Everything is cool, starter button, kill switch and horn except my turn signals. I had to do a little grinding on the position knob on the turn signal assembly and I am guessing I didnt clean all the particles out. I have since hosed everything down with electrical cleaner and got it nice and clean. Havent tried to fire it up again, since I was going to pick up some di-electric grease on the way home to throw in the turn signal assembly. Are the headlight and turn signals on the same circuit? Or does having the headlight installed complete some sort of side circuit? I have looked for wiring diagrams, but I didnt see any that had both those systems on it... I have checked the fuses under the right side cover and all were good. Any other fuses to check? I just wanted to know before I came home tomorrow and greased it up, threw the headlight in, installed my modified seat from MeanCityCycles arriving tomorrow hopefully, and rode! Thanks a billion folks. This site rocks!

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
You can get complete schematics on my website. Some are a little fuzzy, but they are mostly legible, they're the best I have for now.
Anyways, the headlight comes on when you turn the key and don't have the starter pushed in, it's on it's own fuse and plugged in or not it has no impact on any other circuits.
As for the turn signals, they have their own 5A fuse which is separate from the other fuses that exist in the fuse box under the right side cover. ;)

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
If your gettin nothing then about all you can do is check the cleaning you did and the fuse... if still no worky it's gonna be time to start chasin wires...

you sure all the wiring is good in the bars, and did you take the burs off the inside of the hole in the bottom the wires come out of?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get complete schematics on my website. Some are a little fuzzy, but they are mostly legible, they're the best I have for now.
Anyways, the headlight comes on when you turn the key and don't have the starter pushed in, it's on it's own fuse and plugged in or not it has no impact on any other circuits.
As for the turn signals, they have their own 5A fuse which is separate from the other fuses that exist in the fuse box under the right side cover. ;)
Thanks. Totally forgot your site had the diagrams. I figured they were separate, but I guess I was hoping I'd get lucky.

If your gettin nothing then about all you can do is check the cleaning you did and the fuse... if still no worky it's gonna be time to start chasin wires...

you sure all the wiring is good in the bars, and did you take the burs off the inside of the hole in the bottom the wires come out of?
Well.. I'll pick up the dielectric grease on the way home. I have a nasty feeling I am going to be chasing wires, but I did deburr the bars, so I dunno whats going on..... But there were quite a few particles of aluminum in the housing before I cleaned it out, so I am still optimistic. Thanks for the help gents. I'll be in the garage for the next couple days with my voltmeter and my wiring.. >.<

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Well.. I'll pick up the dielectric grease on the way home. I have a nasty feeling I am going to be chasing wires, but I did deburr the bars, so I dunno whats going on..... But there were quite a few particles of aluminum in the housing before I cleaned it out, so I am still optimistic. Thanks for the help gents. I'll be in the garage for the next couple days with my voltmeter and my wiring.. >.<
I wish you the best, being able to internally wire bars without trouble is something that took me several tries to get down. I still occassionally have issues, but have generally learned what to look for.
I hope it's something simple, having to undo everything is frustrating.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the suggestions. I got home today, threw some grease in the turn signal assembly, installed the headlight, and signals still dont work and the headlight wont light, but bike fires right up. Everything in the headlight bucket was attached correctly. The connections in the bucket are pretty much idiot proof. So its looking like this idiot gets to chase wires. Thanks again.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sabotage!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.. done chasing wires. Turns out I was a victim of apparent sabotage... My step-son tells me his dad stopped by 2 days ago and my wife let him use my tools while he worked on his truck in the driveway. Do do this, she just popped the garage and went back inside... Long story short, the A-Hole switched 3 of my labels on the wiring.. I had run the wiring, but didnt have enough time to finish the job, so I had to come back to it the next day.
He even had the balls to ask today, when he picked his kid up, how the wiring was going and laughed. SOOOO, right then, I knew something was fishy. Didnt take me long to sort it out once I had a pretty good idea of what he had done.
Wifey didnt know better, but she knows now! I had told the guy he was welcome to use my tools as long as he put them back. But this was kinda shady AND he RIDES bikes too!!!!! So now I am trying to figure out how to get the sucker punchin' punk back, without going to jail, because my first thought was to make him eat curb, American History X style... Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks, again,for all the help guys. I really appreciate it..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A funny thing that I did to a fellow biker { Jerk } was to put a small puddle of oil or anti-freeze underneath his bike several times and he went nutzzzzzzzzzzz :banghead: looking for the problem. Even better if he starts changing un-necessary parts!!!!!!! Just a thought to brighten up your day, and awesome thing to do to get back at a dirty SOB. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
stick a paddlepop (popsicle) stick into his key locks and snap them off. Push them in with a screw driver so he can't get pliers or tweezers to them. Then a dab of silicone over the top.

or cross a few leads going to his spark plugs to put the firing sequence out in his truck.

I got lots more. Yes I have an ex wife and I spent a lot of time day dreaming..... :twisted:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the ideas. Unfortunately, my step-son confirmed his dad "helped fix my bike". I have calmed down, and I still wanna kick the guy in the teeth. :badabing:

·
Registered
998 Posts
stick a paddlepop (popsicle) stick into his key locks and snap them off. Push them in with a screw driver so he can't get pliers or tweezers to them. Then a dab of silicone over the top.

or cross a few leads going to his spark plugs to put the firing sequence out in his truck.

I got lots more. Yes I have an ex wife and I spent a lot of time day dreaming..... :twisted:
:firstplace:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK... I have evened the score with the guy. I was able to find his car at a busy lot during lunch, pop his hood, and remove a spark plug in his truck. MF'er pulled up today to ask if he could use my tools cuz his truck was running like crap.. Told him to take a hike and laughed at him.. Hopefully he got the hint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts