Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a brake light module so that my rear turn signals light when I apply the brakes. Everything works great (Brake lites,and turn signals). Except when I have the turn signals on and I applied the brakes the turn signals start to flash at a faster rate(but still works properly).Do I need to replace flasher or what?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, you need a load independent flasher module like the ones people get when they switch to LEDs. You can get one at cruisercustomizing.com or I got mine that also beeps to remind you that the blinker is on from telstar-electronics.com. You could probably find one that was load independent but not fully electronic at your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were is it?

Can you tell me were the flasher is located. Thank you for help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The flasher is located behind the right side cover. It is a two pronged plug in module, can't miss it. Many, if not all, of the electronic modules have three prongs with one of them being a ground so some simple rewiring is required. Just need some spade connectors, wire, and a crimp tool. The ground wire can be ran to the frame or right to the battery since the flasher is about 8 inches from the battery. You might not be able to fit an after market flasher in the same location but there is plenty of room under the seat which is where I put mine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thank You.Found it right behind fuse pannel.I ended up using a 552 flasher (2 terminal flasher) works like a charm. I made my rear turn signals into brake and running lights for under $15.00. And I'm using 1157 bulbs with red hats on them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: thanks

gdishman said:
Thank You.Found it right behind fuse pannel.I ended up using a 552 flasher (2 terminal flasher) works like a charm. I made my rear turn signals into brake and running lights for under $15.00. And I'm using 1157 bulbs with red hats on them.
Is that 552 flasher something we can buy anywhere? That flasher thing you got is exactly what I need for my bike. Do you think RadioShack would carry that flasher?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autozone

I bought it at Autozone.$2.02 included tax.You will also need 2 spade connectors.Took less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
gdishman, sorry to be a such a bug, but would you mind sending a pic of your flasher setup? Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
I purchased some red leds at a local automotive store for my rear turn signals. They, of course, flashed too rapid. But they are bright. I replaced the original flasher with a 552 flasher and now all signals operate normal. I had to cut the two wires they goes to the original flasher plug leaving about 4 inches on the original just in case I had to put it back on. Got two female terminals that fit onto the 552 terminals, heat shring on the terminals, and tied it with a tie strap right under the fuse box. I hooked the gray wire to the "L" terminal on the 552.
I also have the Kriss module that makes my rear turn signals wig-wag, flash, on all the time, etc. (The module has 12 different settings). All that works with the 552 flasher.
Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts