Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter during my cold rides into work I began to notice my turn signals not reacting to the switch toggle, learning that I had to try several times before they would come on. Oddly enough, the signals would work fine at the end of each work day when outside temps were warm. I posed a thread about this awhile ago and the suggestion was to clean and lube the switch housing (;) and to add new blinker fluid) which I did with just a little improvement.

I've done some research on the issue to learn that the issue may be a failing turn signal relay. The suggestion is that new solid state relay is the best solution.

My question to readers now is, HAS ANYONE REPLACED THE STOCK TURN SIGNAL RELAY WITH A SOLID STATE REPLACEMENT, AND IF SO WHERE CAN I GET ONE THAT IS PLUG-N-PLAY???

I did some more research to discover that Signal Dynamics sells a self cancelling device that would probably fix my problem and provide the benefits of adding its self canceling and emergency flashers features.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE INSTALLING ONE OF THESE ON THEIR VTX 1300, and if so please comment regarding ease of mounting and if you recommend it. THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
6,190 Posts
I can't comment on that device specifically HOP. But I've had Custom Dynamics products on multiple bikes. They make good stuff. I would not find it hard to believe that your old relay is being affected by the cold.
Apples and oranges but last summer I had to replace both of my garage door openers (the whole head unit, not just the remotes), because being 20+ years old they would not lift the doors in cold weather during the previous two winters. Wasn't the grease, that was the first thing I made sure of. Whether it was the electronics in them or the motors themselves I don't know but changing them both out solved the problem.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by solid state. But I did replace mine with a zero load relay. I have LED's and don't see the point in adding resistors as the point for me was to reduce load.

This is what I have. Took me 3 mins to replace (open throttle side cover, remove factory relay and replace with this relay, done.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My X was doing the same thing. After cleaning all was OK for a while. Then I would clean again. Finally somewhere around 120,000 miles the toggle button broke off. I replaced the turn signal harness. All is good now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts