Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 1300R
Turn signal switch doesn't work consistently. Sometimes it will initiate the signals to come on, sometimes not. The switch feels very spongy. When the bike is at speed they seem to work more consistently. Seems like when engine revs it raises the voltage and sends the signal through bad contacts.

Question:
I can clean the contacts with spray cleaner.
Is there a way to strengthen the spring action that makes the switch contacts?
Can I replace just the switch contacts, or do I need to replace the entire Turn, High beam, horn switch assembly?
The whole assembly is only about $95 but my wires are internally ran through the handlebars and it is difficult to replace the entire switch and wiring harness.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
all the switches on a VTX are designed to be disassembled and cleaned..

we have been requesting everyone to clean all switches every 2 years...

No you can not purchase just a switch... or parts of a switch

it's the complete control handle assembly.. or NOTHING...

so clean them.. they can last almost forever.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
'all switches'.

Chuck,
is my slow brain finally reading that it is not only the STARTER switch that needs cleaning, but the light/blinker/horn also?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I have used electric contact spray on mine. But it did not last very long. It was worse if I let it sit for several days. At 100,000 miles I replaced my starter switch harness as a just in case procedure. 30,000 miles later I replaced my turn signal harness because the button broke while on an IBA ride.

Neither was difficult.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disassembled and soaked in White Vinegar then Rubbing Alcohol. i let dry and reinstalled. Seems great. One question:
What parts do I lube and with what? Should I only grease the pivot fork?
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
If it moves grease it!
Grease the switch, it is a sliding arrangement.
Grease the mechanical so it will cancel better.

It had grease in it from the factory, it became dusty and dirty and no longer functioned as a lubricant.
Wheel bearing grease is what I used...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you.
I have always valued your opinion.

Reactions: Hans&Feet

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
'all switches'.

Chuck,
is my slow brain finally reading that it is not only the STARTER switch that needs cleaning, but the light/blinker/horn also?

sorry for the delay.. YES, all switches...

nothing about "SLOW"..

I was branded "Retarded" in the 4th grade by 2 doctors..
I was just a SLOW starter... :)

Reactions: leroys73

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
sorry for the delay.. YES, all switches...

nothing about "SLOW"..

I was branded "Retarded" in the 4th grade by 2 doctors..
I was just a SLOW starter... :)
Chuck,

I am glad you posted the "Retarded" ... "just Slow starter".

I had a long agreement speech and several examples (actually a rant) ready but lost it. So I'll do a short agreement speech with an example or two.

Yep, so many people are what I call "late bloomers". Everyone learns at a different pace and/or at a different time. Not everyone's brain is ready at the same time or to learn the same things. At other times it is attitude, nothing to do with IQ. Different subject.

My wife was labeled as "retarded" at one point. Hell, she is way smarter than I am. She graduated with full honors from high school. Took honor classes in college with mostly As (no Cs) and did the same for her M.B.A. degree at a major university. Plus she didn't mind working at a job while going to school full time. She has been extremely successful in her career.

I was and still am a very slow reader and poor speller. I wasn't given much chance at college. I went anyway. I took a reading test after I had my degree in pure math (calculus as the first course) with minors in physics, history, language arts, and business. After earning my degree I enrolled in a college class, couldn't get enough.:nerd: Not really a nerd. Nor am I a proponent of "all go to college". I am big on learning a skill. There I go, trying to get on my soapbox again.

Sorry, back to the shortened agreement speech and with my personal experience.

The class I was enrolled in was all freshman except me. We were required to take a reading test. The results showed I would not graduate from college. I scored the lowest in the class of all freshman. The professor said he guessed that the test was invalid since one person in the class already had a degree and scored the lowest. It had to be me. I was the only one in the class with a degree. I later earned a master's degree.

So as you implied, slow is OK.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
everyone is different.. learn different.. and some have other issues that makes slow a little slower..

I am blind in one eye... ( from birth )... from the age of 5 to 8... doctors kept taping my good eye over.... trying to Force my bad eye to work..

well at the same time.. I started school.. so was behind in ALL subjects... for a few years..

aka ( Amblyopia )

even doctors know little...
I have outlived 2 family doctors.. and both were younger then me...

I am
anti-social
anti-normal
anti-average...
:)

Reactions: leroys73

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a hint: you can buy a new switch and then just remove the parts you need to restore the old one. That gets you away from re-running the wires through the handlebar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts