Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yanno, I never paid bobbers much attention until a customer from NY wanted us to turn his stock Vstar 650 Classic into a bobber. The more I tinker with it, the more I like it!!!! I took his stock wheels and had them powdercoated gloss black, then mounted new whitewalls. I also removed his front forks, ground off the fender mounts, and painted them gloss black, along with his headlight bucket and front brake rotor.

Next up I'll be making a custom rear fender out of a VTX1800C front fender and integrating some custom LED brake/turn lights into it. Then I'll get his solo springer seat done, before either wrapping his stock exhaust or possibly making a custom exhaust and wrapping it. We'll see. Finally we'll move on to paint.....

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Metric Bobbers, hell yeah!

Yeah, it seems bobbers are making a comeback.

I myself have been seriously looking at buying one of several bikes to bob out. I've got my eye on bobbing out a 800 Kawasaki.

Here is a place that sells 'kits' for bobbing out some metric bikes:

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=24&category_id=3〈=en&page=shop.browse&TreeId=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=24

Here's a 650 they did:

Here's an 800 Vulcan they did with their kit:

The one you're working on looks SWEET!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Definitely something to be said for the less-is-more approach. That V-Star is a nice platform to build on, and it looks like you're off to a great start so far. I love the ww's on the powder-coated spokes. Keep the pics coming! :thumbup:

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

yeah, I've spoken with Blue Collar Bobbers, they are working on a spring seat prototype for the Vstar 650. If they don't finish it soon, I'll just make my own seat. Here's the beginings of the rear fender mock up....

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Sounds like it is going to be pretty sick once it is finished.

Just curious about the forks being painted since I have considered it on one of my bikes. How does that hold up? The main reason I have been so hesitant is due to the enormous bugs we have down south in the summer. I am afraid that any paint on the forks would be prone to chipping from bugs or rocks???

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Yanno, I never paid bobbers much attention until a customer from NY wanted us to turn his stock Vstar 650 Classic into a bobber. The more I tinker with it, the more I like it!!!!
Where have you been? Bobbers have been VERY popular the last couple of years, even more so than Choppers and Baggers is some parts.

Gotta lose the Hypercharger...

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I suppose the paint will hold up fine, nice part is re-spraying them is a piece of cake. I sprayed them as opposed to PC, becuase PC would require them to be totally disassembled. I painted them w/o even taking them apart.

I know bobbers have been popular for a while. I'm just saying that I never paid them much attention until now. The Hypercharger is already on the way out, to be replaced by a OEM round air cleaner, probably painted gloss black.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I guess most Bobbers just rattle can their bikes flat black, so you never see them in your shop:D

I suppose the paint will hold up fine, nice part is re-spraying them is a piece of cake. I sprayed them as opposed to PC, becuase PC would require them to be totally disassembled. I painted them w/o even taking them apart.

I know bobbers have been popular for a while. I'm just saying that I never paid them much attention until now. The Hypercharger is already on the way out, to be replaced by a OEM round air cleaner, probably painted gloss black.

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I guess most Bobbers just rattle can their bikes flat black, so you never see them in your shop:D
true dat! Still undecided on the paint scheme for this one, originally we were going to do a New York Knicks tribute. May still do that, but may go a different direction....:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Well, I guess the Yamaha is a very reliable bike and good to do a job like the one You are doing.
I love bobbers, just don't have the money to buy one!

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

well, got the rear fender (an old VTX1800C front fender) on the bike today. Worked out great, looks fantastic! Put the tank on it just to eyeball it and begin to get an idea of what it's going to look like when done. Still need to get a springer seat on it, then we'll pull the tank and fender and start the bodywork.....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts