Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had ongoing reoccurring issues that mechanics have not been able duplicate.

I believe it might be petcock but have been able to get thru it before (inconsistent).

Battery - full charged after low due to new light additions, drove about 60 miles no issues.

Went to restart few days later. Carb box behind filter looks like their was moisture not necessarily strong fuel smell?

For the lights, I did tap into rear brake wire for multi color lights (turns red when braking) but connection seems ok. For fog lights I connected relay to ground screw in right side under seat and rear brown wire, seems ok.

During my project last week, I did flip tank upside down to prep surface for lights underneath. At the time fuel started coming out air valve but like I said I drove after and it was fine.

Oh I also checked started relay using a video tutorial one of you provided on a different thread. It clicks as needed.

Thoughts?

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have had ongoing reoccurring issues that mechanics have not been able duplicate.

I believe it might be petcock but have been able to get thru it before (inconsistent).

Battery - full charged after low due to new light additions, drove about 60 miles no issues.

Went to restart few days later. Carb box behind filter looks like their was moisture not necessarily strong fuel smell?

For the lights, I did tap into rear brake wire for multi color lights (turns red when braking) but connection seems ok. For fog lights I connected relay to ground screw in right side under seat and rear brown wire, seems ok.

During my project last week, I did flip tank upside down to prep surface for lights underneath. At the time fuel started coming out air valve but like I said I drove after and it was fine.

Oh I also checked started relay using a video tutorial one of you provided on a different thread. It clicks as needed.

Thoughts?
And after 20 times (over time), it started with carb cover off???

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
444 Posts
It sounds more like it was fuel than it was starved for air. To verify that, is the air filter clean? After you got her started, did you ride it?
Is your choke in or out (disengaged or engaged)?

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds more like it was fuel than it was starved for air. To verify that, is the air filter clean? After you got her started, did you ride it?
Is your choke in or out (disengaged or engaged)?
No choke. When I did try the choke when I had starting issues, it turned over for a second then killed.

But once I got it started, I did not ride, but did so today for 30 miles.

My filter is only 6 months old and doesn't appear dirty.

· Registered
14,807 Posts
2007 had a recall on the petcock.
Several 1300 had no fuel from the petcock.
Vacuum Hose ends split and leak air.
A syringe has been used to test the petcock vacuum valve.

Reactions: free1954

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2007 had a recall on the petcock.
Several 1300 had no fuel from the petcock.
Vacuum Hose ends split and leak air.
A syringe has been used to test the petcock vacuum valve.
Issue repeats again today. It has to be this petcock or hoses but hoses look ok. This is beyond frustrating.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Issue repeats again today. It has to be this petcock or hoses but hoses look ok. This is beyond frustrating.
So my Vin falls under recall. Don't know if prior owner ever fulfilled recall, assuming not with this issue so fo I just find any dealer? I don't even know if we have one in Jax, fl anymore. Would it be fully covered?

· Registered
14,807 Posts
There is a VIN on the steering stem.
A center punch at the tail of the VIN indicates the correction was made.
Verify fuel flow from the hose bibb to the carb.
Remove the intake manifold hose it is the vacuum source, so verify from that hose end..

The petcock cover is available.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remove the intake manifold hose it is the vacuum source, so verify from that hose end..

Called local dealership and per Vin search they say it was fixed on this bike. No punches in Vin but I did see a blue marker mark somewhere. He said not every service center does it same way, if that's true or not...

Anyway so he had 1 petcock in stock conveniently for 175.00 oem. How safe am I ordering the one you suggested for 44.00? Guess it can't hurt to try.

If I change myself, how do I avoid fuel leaking out vacuum port at bottom of tank? I know I need to drain fuel first...

Still can't get it started. I'll recheck hoses again, off the tank goes again smh but so far appear in good condition.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Don't I need the other part of kit, stem?

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
444 Posts
Don't I need the other part of kit, stem?
Depends. If the valve on the petcock turns smoothly, then it is likely ok from that point. The diaphragm Hans linked to is to rebuild the vacuum-operated diaphragm that allows the gas to pass thru the petcock and to the carb. Once the fuel is drained from the tank, take the petcock off and bench test the whole thing, taking a hard look at that diaphragm. Also check that vacuum hose to the diaphragm for cracks/breaks.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Depends. If the valve on the petcock turns smoothly, then it is likely ok from that point. The diaphragm Hans linked to is to rebuild the vacuum-operated diaphragm that allows the gas to pass thru the petcock and to the carb. Once the fuel is drained from the tank, take the petcock off and bench test the whole thing, taking a hard look at that diaphragm. Also check that vacuum hose to the diaphragm for cracks/breaks.
Ok will do but I may take you up on previous offer.

Should I go ahead and get a part in? Do I get an aftermarket entire kit?

· Registered
14,807 Posts
Honda VTX1300C 2004-2009 4321-CH except FI models Included
Only one hose to the ACO valve if PAIR has been removed.
Pingel Power-Flo Fuel Valve - Single Outlet 4321-CH
$148.45 at Amazon. Costs less than a Honda petcock.

Font Screenshot Number

· Registered
14,807 Posts
Post #11
If I change myself, how do I avoid fuel leaking out vacuum port at bottom of tank? I know I need to drain fuel first...

Turn valve to the off position.
Position an empty fuel container and hose direct to fuel port or use a funnel and hose to catch the fuel.
Some gallon plastic jugs can be cut open to collect fuel for a short time and outdoors.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: stripped down the bike, tank off, etc. followed the vacuum valve to carb (thick one) and bingo. Then the wife, not me spotted a tear on the small hose on upper portion of carb, see pics (I was super excited for the find).

This issue has been going on since i bought bike from original owner last April and could never pinpoint until now. I am disappointed two shops (now fired) did not find either of these issues after paying for carb rebuild and returning it multiple times with no resolution. Especially the shop that rebuilt the carb. The tear was a clear obvious sign and not new and why wouldnt they replace it during rebuild??

Anyway, done venting and super pleased these cracked and sliced hoses were the culprit. For now to get it going, i cut back the hoses and still had enough slack to reattach to carb in both sections. i do need tighter clamps soon for the gas line to petcock and for the hoses i mentioned above but until then, the bike started and ran beautifully.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior
Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Finger Nail care
Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger Body jewelry
Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger Body jewelry
Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Finger Nail care

· Registered
14,807 Posts
The first picture, that hose is the engine vent hose.
A cheap foam like material, if you manage to kink it when putting the hose
and air box together, you could have the the gear shifter oil seal pop off and
dump oil in front of the rear tire.
It has happened a few times.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts