Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
432 Posts
UPDATE: stripped down the bike, tank off, etc. followed the vacuum valve to carb (thick one) and bingo. Then the wife, not me spotted a tear on the small hose on upper portion of carb, see pics (I was super excited for the find).

This issue has been going on since i bought bike from original owner last April and could never pinpoint until now. I am disappointed two shops (now fired) did not find either of these issues after paying for carb rebuild and returning it multiple times with no resolution. Especially the shop that rebuilt the carb. The tear was a clear obvious sign and not new and why wouldnt they replace it during rebuild??

Anyway, done venting and super pleased these cracked and sliced hoses were the culprit. For now to get it going, i cut back the hoses and still had enough slack to reattach to carb in both sections. i do need tighter clamps soon for the gas line to petcock and for the hoses i mentioned above but until then, the bike started and ran beautifully. View attachment 214206 View attachment 214207 View attachment 214208 View attachment 214208 View attachment 214207
That's great, man! Congrats! Enjoy the rides in sunny Florida!

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
And back to square one! Was running perfect for 2 days. Cranked it up this morning and it was on for about 3 minutes and as I was about to pull off, it died. I had went to fill up yesterday and sounded so good since hoses repaired, now this yet again. Beyond frustrated!
and once again, forum page does not have any option to attach images or videos???, sign on and off and tried different browsers

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
And back to square one! Was running perfect for 2 days. Cranked it up this morning and it was on for about 3 minutes and as I was about to pull off, it died. I had went to fill up yesterday and sounded so good since hoses repaired, now this yet again. Beyond frustrated!

and once again, forum page does not have any option to attach images or videos???, signed on and off and tried different browsers
anyway, had a good video that showed what was happening. The fuel is spraying into carb and then as i apply throttle it began to weaken and cut off. started and restarted and now its staying on. Is this a dirty filter but yet gave me that issue with filter off? all hoses appear to be attached still.

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
432 Posts
It did yes, I wasn't clear previously. It skirts when throttled but sporadically, meaning sometimes I can see it and sometimes I can't.
Sounds like you might need to rebuild it. Kits from allballz exist. Probably others, too.

Alternatively, take the air cleaner cover off and start the bike, and just twist the throttle back and forth until that pump works every time. If that fails, you should rebuild the pump.

· Registered
7,827 Posts
The first picture, that hose is the engine vent hose.
A cheap foam like material, if you manage to kink it when putting the hose
and air box together, you could have the the gear shifter oil seal pop off and
dump oil in front of the rear tire.
It has happened a few times.

I recall reading a tip for how to check that this hose isn't kinked (after installing the air box) that involved blowing air into the hose with a tissue laid over the oil fill hole. If you blow the tissue off, there are no kinks. You can use canned air to do the blowing.

· Registered
7,827 Posts
anyway, had a good video that showed what was happening. The fuel is spraying into carb and then as i apply throttle it began to weaken and cut off. started and restarted and now its staying on. Is this a dirty filter but yet gave me that issue with filter off? all hoses appear to be attached still.

Check simple things first. If you kinked your gas tank vent hose installing the tank the bike can run a little while, but then will die out and not start.

Good luck and keep us posted.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sounds like you might need to rebuild it. Kits from allballz exist. Probably others, too.

Alternatively, take the air cleaner cover off and start the bike, and just twist the throttle back and forth until that pump works every time. If that fails, you should rebuild the pump.
ok but how much fuel should i expect to spray at me upon throttle???

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It isn't much but it is forceful enough to spray past the needle. And it should happen every single time.
Thank you. Currently checking hoses with airbox on. I blew on fuel line and gas came out of this clear (dirty) elbow valve hose thing with black cap? Little chunky but not blocked whatever it is.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you. Currently checking hoses with airbox on. I blew on fuel line and gas came out of this clear (dirty) elbow valve hose thing with black cap? Little chunky but not blocked whatever it is.
By the way, the hose I blew in is the gas line that connects to petcock slightly thicker than others and Interestingly enough last 2 times I disconnected it, I didn't need to hold container under it for gasoline drips... which was required in the passed.

· Registered
432 Posts
By the way, the hose I blew in is the gas line that connects to petcock slightly thicker than others and Interestingly enough last 2 times I disconnected it, I didn't need to hold container under it for gasoline drips... which was required in the passed.
Fuel delivery being the issue, the question is where between the tank and carb is the issue. Here are your options: crap in the tank, petcock failing, crap in the hoses, hoses are cracked/worn, filter at carb inlet clogged, float valve not dropping enough to let fuel in, accelerator pump failing. Gotta check all of those.

· Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 C
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Fuel delivery being the issue, the question is where between the tank and carb is the issue. Here are your options: crap in the tank, petcock failing, crap in the hoses, hoses are cracked/worn, filter at carb inlet clogged, float valve not dropping enough to let fuel in, accelerator pump failing. Gotta check all of those.
Ok, rechecked throttle with a big led spot light vs day light and gas sprays each and every time, thankfully so guessing not the float valve (assuming that's inside carb.

Running again so far 15 min, going for ride close by to see if I run out of fuel. Dumb but necessary to rule out pinched hoses, which none found yet.

· Registered
432 Posts
Gotcha. You've ruled out the accelerator pump. If it runs fine, the float valve is good. If it does now you need to check/clean the carb inlet filter, check/clean petcock filter.
Keep us posted.

· Registered
14,793 Posts
The clear tube at the bottom at the airbox with a black cap is the crankcase vent sump.
If gas comes out there probably has gas running over and puddling in the airbox.
I noticed the carb accelerator link and washer on the throttle drum has much rust on it, plus
corrosion on the aluminum. Could have been under water..
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Bumper Rim

No videos here, you have to go to youtube or similar and link that URL to here.

Cell phone, many times when I "post reply" it takes another tap to get it to upload.
Tablet or PC work much better. The "paper clip" is one choice to upload a photo,
all you have to do is find where your picture is hiding for it to upload..
You can also click and drag a picture to the text box.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts