Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!. Total bike newbie here with an 06 1800r. I only moved to TX 3yrs ago and this inspection sticker thing is new to me.
I got my back about 3 weeks ago and the dealer put the inspection sticker on this giant aluminum plate that fits behind the paper plate and sticks up to display the sticker. It blocks the lower 1/4" of the tail light too. It looks like crap!!!
I got my real plate yesterday and pulled off the aluminum inspection sticker plate since it wont fit behind the license plate. I shoved it in my saddlebag for now.
Where do you all mount your inspection stickers? I know some states allow it on the bike frame.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I know it's not legal but I have mine on the inside of my left cover. I've never been hassled about it. I've never been pulled over yet and have had cops behind me several times.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking I will do...Too bad the dealer stuck it to that HUGE metal plate. I'll probably just throw it in the bottom of my saddlebag for now......Thanks for the reply!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking I will do...Too bad the dealer stuck it to that HUGE metal plate. I'll probably just throw it in the bottom of my saddlebag for now......Thanks for the reply!:thumbup:
Have a plate on the swing arm for the inspection!! You can make it out of the piece of junk they have th inspection sticker on!! Just have it in plain view for when you get pulled over!
Here is a pic!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey! Thanks for the tip but my bags block most of the view of the swingarm unless you bend down....Also per state law the tag has to be visible from the rear of the bike so I am thinking about making something I can put on the back of the passenger backrest.....For now its living in my bag.....

Nice bike by the way!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I know it's not legal but I have mine on the inside of my left cover. I've never been hassled about it. I've never been pulled over yet and have had cops behind me several times.

Well I got stopped in Galveston last weekend. There were 6 riding in our group of which 4 of us didn't have helmets on. They were pulling everyone over who didn't have a helmet on to check insurance. Anyway after insurance verification the Officer asked me why I didn't have an inspection sticker. I pulled off my left side cover and showed it to him and he simply said thanks and sent me on my way. Guess I got a nice officer, we'll see what happens if I ever get pulled over by a hard-ass.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Talked to the guys at Denton County Choppers as well as a couple of officers, including a State Trooper (He is a hard...nose--pulled over a friend for too dark of a tint.) They all said that here in Tx the sticker is supposed to be visible from the rear of the bike.

I had the inspector put mine on the shock--the top part that doesn't slide so it can be seen from behind. Obviously I don't have saddlebags.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah it does look ugly--bought a bracket from cycle gear- the inspection sticker part of the bracket does stick up about an inch onto the tail light ! The dps guy was @ the station when i had my bike inspected & he told me the same others have said-must be visible from rear -i think i have seen a bracket that mounts off to the side & lets license & inspection sticker be seen--if i can find it i will let you know !

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think there are a few places that sell little brackets that you can mount in places on the bike for the sticker. Havent decided what I am doing on mine yet. I think I will make something up that will go on my bags or the backrest somewhere. The shock idea is a good one if you dont have bags....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sticker placement

Last inspection I got, didn't give me a choice...said it had to be visible from the back of the bike. About the only place left that wasn't on paint was the shock...wasn't ideal but don't have bags or anything on my F model so was the least of the evils IMO.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Inspection sticker

I asked the manager at the local harley dealer about the sticker and he opened his wallet and showed me his. He stated that you must show the sticker, if asked by a police officer. He tells me it's not written anywhere where the sticker is to be posted. So I stuck mine under my seat of the Yamaha I was riding. Never got asked for it.
Also, turn signals are not required here in Texas for motorcycles. Theres no check box on the inspection sheet when we get inspected.
When I get my 1300 inspected next year Im goin to stick it on the inside left side cover. I'll pop it off if I get stopped and show it if asked. Thats if the commy gestopo want to see it.:doorag:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I asked the manager at the local harley dealer about the sticker and he opened his wallet and showed me his. He stated that you must show the sticker, if asked by a police officer. He tells me it's not written anywhere where the sticker is to be posted. So I stuck mine under my seat of the Yamaha I was riding. Never got asked for it.
Also, turn signals are not required here in Texas for motorcycles. Theres no check box on the inspection sheet when we get inspected.
When I get my 1300 inspected next year Im goin to stick it on the inside left side cover. I'll pop it off if I get stopped and show it if asked. Thats if the commy gestopo want to see it.:doorag:
I hate to say this but the Harley Manager is wrong. It is written that the inspection sticker MUST BE VISIBLE from the rear of the motorcyle.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took that same type plate and cut it down, bent 90 degrees and bolted behind my tag.
I would do that but I have a laydown plate holder now so it would hit the tail lens. It is still living in my saddlebag for now......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Texas inspection sticker

I had the same ugly POS plate. Check your Honda shop for a small mounting plate that can be bolted on somewhere like the lower shock bolt. I took my ugly one and made something similar in less than 30min.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I put mine on my shock also. I do have saddle bags and if you look in the right place from the back of the bike you can see it. Legal from my interpretation of the law.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a matter of fact, a signal light (left side) is required by law:dontknow: ..check this out..http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/

jwr..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts