Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?

It looks like all the froo froo over the Ubers has died down... What gives? Where are all the glowing reports? Why isn't the miracle being proclaimed loud and clear? Inquiring minds want to know...

I have a set. I'm not going to run them. I have issues with the way that they are made. They have been to California, Tombstone, and back... in my saddlebags... where they are safe :shock:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
HUH

Got 1000 miles on mine pulled all 4 the other day and man they werent near as CRAPPY looking as my bosh plugs were. The bosh had stuff stuck inbetween the prongs and crud. The ubahs were blackish and the shallow ones were blackish with a brown hue to the top of the thingamajig over the electrode (hows that for tech talk :p )

So far none of mine have fallen appart yet. Do they make more power??????? duno will they last longer..... might do they work yup.

So what issue do you have with them on how they are made? tell me cathy lee doesnt have the sweat shop going at the uber plant! :lol:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For one thing- If you look at new Ubers real close they chromed the body of the plug, around the electrode. I don't think chrome will last very long in a combustion chamber. Why chrome them? No clue...

Second- Based on what I've read (by people that know more about ignition system design than I could ever know, expecting a spark plug to last as long as the Uber mfg claims is, at best, a stretch. I think I would rather change cheaper plugs (note that cheaper doesn't mean poor quaility) more often rather than trust an unknown to last 100,000 miles.

Third- All the froo froo died down and it needed stirring :)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Well I guess time will tell

on the concerns.......

As far as the stirring i guess thats your deal... have to see who bites. All i know is after 1000 miles they are much cleaner than my Bosch plugs were after 1000 miles.

Ill let you know how they look in another 5k.

Dave

H

·
0 Posts
And all I can add is that we sell a bunch of them with no issues from the customers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
iCe said:

It looks like all the froo froo over the Ubers has died down... What gives? Where are all the glowing reports? Why isn't the miracle being proclaimed loud and clear? Inquiring minds want to know...

I have a set. I'm not going to run them. I have issues with the way that they are made. They have been to California, Tombstone, and back... in my saddlebags... where they are safe :shock:
"That's nice". I was hoping to see a ride report out of that trip instead of a troll post.

In reference to your later post and skepticism over the 100k mile usage, the NipponDenso tech paper on their iridium sparkplug states they were aiming for 200k mile wear target. Seems like 100k isn't an outrageous figure.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OR said:
iCe said:

"That's nice". I was hoping to see a ride report out of that trip instead of a troll post.

In reference to your later post and skepticism over the 100k mile usage, the NipponDenso tech paper on their iridium sparkplug states they were aiming for 200k mile wear target. Seems like 100k isn't an outrageous figure.
OK... want to buy mine? Their brand new... in the box. You "yanks" sure are bitchy... Must be all the garage riding...

·
Super Moderator
63,763 Posts
There's been lots of posts praising them, better mpg, a few more power numbers with dynos. Maybe people are supposed to repeat themselves every few weeks? :?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Well I guess time will tell

dave shady said:
on the concerns.......

As far as the stirring i guess thats your deal... have to see who bites. All i know is after 1000 miles they are much cleaner than my Bosch plugs were after 1000 miles.

Ill let you know how they look in another 5k.

Dave
Cool... I'll be curious to hear your results. Especially as they pertain to "cleanliness".

I didn't have ANY time to prepare for my trip to Tombstone via California and I didn't want to chance putting in a set of untried plugs before I struck out on a 2,800 mile trip. Especially since I was going to be riding with the CA riders. They tend to ride hard and I didn't want any trouble (like R1Mike had with his though it wasn't the plugs fault).

In all honesty my plan was to test ride them ahead of the long trip and if they did ok I was going to see how they did when pushed at 90 - 120 mph until fuel got low. That didn't happen. My Bosch's did just fine. Even had a couple of bursts up to 140 on the way home (just to show the little cage that their squirrels were all out and I still had plenty to go.) The Boshes have about 7k on them now. I may change them before I head over to Johnnycheeses in a few weeks even though the bike is running great.

If I can find my 10x loupe I'll take a pic of what concerns me. I tried to take one without magnification. Even though it's plain to see with the naked eye the digital camera won't pick it up. It might be nothing. I don't know... Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chicago-Spike said:
There's been lots of posts praising them, better mpg, a few more power numbers with dynos. Maybe people are supposed to repeat themselves every few weeks? :?
I did a SEARCH Spike. For Uber. Bullshlt. Their hasn't been jack shlt posted on them for a very long time.

People... good people.... Texas people... people that you trade posts with that know their shlt (more than you or I combined will ever know) aren't saying ANYTHING good or bad privately... Mostly they are just unimpressed. That's where I'll leave it.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Tapper should have the answer it was posted that he had a bag of plugs with him at Johnny Cheeses ...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chicago-Spike said:
Look at the dates. Look at the miles ridden. I found these. I really did do a search. I found no useful information.

1st one- Seen it. Big deal... Like I said... I did a search. No MEAT AND POTATO's found

2nd one- butt dyno. Worthless. No mileage ridden.

3rd one- This one and everything else after it is ancient news.

Anyone ridden anywhere with them? Like maybe taken a long trip? If I had any faith in them, I would have given them a shot. Nobody in their right mind starts out on a long ride with unproven parts in their motorcycle.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
iCe said:
silvervtx04s said:
Tapper should have the answer it was posted that he had a bag of plugs with him at Johnny Cheeses ...
Yeah I know...
Am I starting to see words appear between the line's...? :wink:

·
Registered
395 Posts
iCe said:
OK... want to buy mine? Their brand new... in the box. You "yanks" sure are bitchy... Must be all the garage riding...
Sure, $20 shipped for the lot. Which seems fair given your concerns over quality and is negotiable at the gas pump unlike a set of Uber plugs sitting in your saddle bag.

Sorry if it sounded bitchy, they're your plugs and there isn't anybody out there that you owe a report on something that you paid for out of your pocket. I just recall your post saying how you were going to provide a trip report on fuel economy and durability after your Tombstone ride. Then I saw your post where you seem awful proud of how cool you were to carry the plugs in your bag and how the plugs were all hype.

Well heck, there hasn't been any new information on these for a while and your trip report would have been a nice bit of empirical testing...

Oh yeah, if you want to get rid of the deadweight, pm me for payment arrangements and shipping address.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OR said:
iCe said:
Sure, $20 shipped for the lot. Which seems fair given your concerns over quality and is negotiable at the gas pump unlike a set of Uber plugs sitting in your saddle bag.

Sorry if it sounded bitchy, they're your plugs and there isn't anybody out there that you owe a report on something that you paid for out of your pocket. I just recall your post saying how you were going to provide a trip report on fuel economy and durability after your Tombstone ride. Then I saw your post where you seem awful proud of how cool you were to carry the plugs in your bag and how the plugs were all hype.

Well heck, there hasn't been any new information on these for a while and your trip report would have been a nice bit of empirical testing...

Oh yeah, if you want to get rid of the deadweight, pm me for payment arrangements and shipping address.
Should have come to Tombstone... I might have cut you a deal. :) If I'm going to "give" them away I would rather donate them as auction fodder for the Lukenbach ride.

My opinion is that they are all hype. I don't think that they stand a chance in hell of lasting as long as they claim they will (made in Taiwan by the way). I can't say one way or the other about the HP increase claims EXCEPT I haven't seen or heard of a followup test run. Say... something after 5k - 10k on the plugs. Maybe it's because almost nobody is riding any distance right now? I have no idea. If a friend of mine hadn't pointed out some things about them when I let him see them in Tombstone I probably would have put them in before I left Tombstone.

I really would have liked to have tested them. I may do it yet. I'm scheduled to go see Johnnycheese in a little less than two weeks but I don't have any confidence in them so they'll probably sit on the shelf. But you never know :) I might get adventurous and give them a try. At this point I would have rather spent the money on stock plugs but I didn't.

·
Registered
395 Posts
iCe said:
Should have come to Tombstone... I might have cut you a deal. :) If I'm going to "give" them away I would rather donate them as auction fodder for the Lukenbach ride.

My opinion is that they are all hype. I don't think that they stand a chance in hell of lasting as long as they claim they will (made in Taiwan by the way). I can't say one way or the other about the HP increase claims EXCEPT I haven't seen or heard of a followup test run. Say... something after 5k - 10k on the plugs. Maybe it's because almost nobody is riding any distance right now? I have no idea. If a friend of mine hadn't pointed out some things about them when I let him see them in Tombstone I probably would have put them in before I left Tombstone.

I really would have liked to have tested them. I may do it yet. I'm scheduled to go see Johnnycheese in a little less than two weeks but I don't have any confidence in them so they'll probably sit on the shelf. But you never know :) I might get adventurous and give them a try. At this point I would have rather spent the money on stock plugs but I didn't.
I wish I could've come to Tombstone... Just couldn't swing getting someone to cover for me for that long.

I'm extremely skeptical of real HP gains from plug replacement, which is why I would love to see dyno reports from a blind test... say a set of current plugs, a set of brand new plugs of the same make/model as current plugs and a set of Ubers, with the person doing the dyno run not knowing which set is on the bike at any given time, with, say, two or three runs per set of plugs.

I am equally weary of the 'saves gas' claims... which is where your ride report would've been great.

But, as I mentioned earlier, I have no trouble believing that you'd have an extremely long service interval with an iridium plug and an engine that's properly tuned. The bit about chroming the plugs does have me concerned, seems ghetto and non-functional.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OR said:
iCe said:

I wish I could've come to Tombstone... Just couldn't swing getting someone to cover for me for that long.

I'm extremely skeptical of real HP gains from plug replacement, which is why I would love to see dyno reports from a blind test... say a set of current plugs, a set of brand new plugs of the same make/model as current plugs and a set of Ubers, with the person doing the dyno run not knowing which set is on the bike at any given time, with, say, two or three runs per set of plugs.

I am equally weary of the 'saves gas' claims... which is where your ride report would've been great.

But, as I mentioned earlier, I have no trouble believing that you'd have an extremely long service interval with an iridium plug and an engine that's properly tuned. The bit about chroming the plugs does have me concerned, seems ghetto and non-functional.
Tombstone was a blast. A very much needed stress reliever and a great way to start the riding season.

I don't know how much good I would have been as a mileage tester ROFL... We hauled azz everywhere we went. Even solo I ran pretty hard. I drained a tank cruising at 100 and then 120 in west Texas. Most of the time the speedo was sitting on 90. And the wind howled the whole trip. Twice I put 5.00x gallons in the tank :shock: That's a little too close for comfort :) Most mileage check results were 30mpg. The exception being the extreme runs.

For what it's worth- I wish that I could have tested them. At least I would have answers and not questions. :(

Here's a link to some pics taken thru a 2x magnifier. The detail isn't as good as I would have liked but maybe you can see what bugs me-

http://public.fotki.com/Ventana/motorcycles-1/parts_and_things/page2.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
uuubers

I...likem,,ice you could stick on the fence out yonder and shot atem with them big ole guns you guys got! :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts