Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800S
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, This is the comfiest bike I've ever had in 33yrs of riding but I can still barely make 2hrs until agony sets into my boney rump. So I read all the posts about aftermarket US saddles and watched the odd one come up on ebay for silly money over here in the UK. Then random Googling recealed great reviews for this place:

Had a chat and sent off my main saddle. On receipt, they said they couldn't guarantee that they could match the standard profile curve and have the vinyl cover stay stuck to the foam. My cover had the beginnings of a hole forming so being 20yrs old (yet only 5k miles) I decided to opt for a new cover while they were at it. Chose a simple waterproof marine grade vinyl , but it definitley doesn't match the 20yr old original or the rear seat... And they suggested that they would remove most of the honda concrete and add 3" of memory foam instead of 2" to reduce the curve. I agreed as comfort was more important than pose as I ride it, not show it. I was a bit worried it'd look daft but needs must. And so I waited a couple of days and got the call that it was ready to be sent. Cost me £185 all in and when it arrived the next day it looked great! Fairly good curve still on it tbh and doesn't look that bad. Fitted and sat on it... oh my god.... like having a pair of angels hands cupping my butt....

So next day the Bird was due to get her nails done by her friend who lives 100 miles away from South Wales through Somerset, Wiltshire and Berkshire and the weather bods said there was the very rare risk of sunshine all day- so I threw her on the back of the bike and time to hit the road! 2.5hrs later (yes, it's the UK and I avoided as much motorway as possible) we arrived. For the first time ever I had absolutely NO butt pain. At All. Wow... The bird was a bit more achy, but she has a bit more padding than me...

We took our time heading home with a couple of stops for a break and a nibble on the return and for once I wasn't deperate to get home and get it over with so we took a longer route. I swear the Honda saddle was designed by the Spanish Inquisition but my new one is a revelation. By the time we'd got home it had been 5.5hrs in the saddle and I only had a slight ache whereas I'd normally be feeling like I'd woke up in Area 51.... The Bird was in pain so I called the company on Monday and will be sending off the rear seat for the same treatment, but keeping the Honda cover- £110 all in.

Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle

Before

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Plant

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Fuel tank

After

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Congratulations - more comfort to you!
The stock 1300C seats were absolutely terrible.
My first mod was a Mustang seat.
Now you can expand your touring distance and put some miles and smiles on your X.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Congratulations - more comfort to you!
The stock 1300C seats were absolutely terrible.
My first mod was a Mustang seat.
Now you can expand your touring distance and put some miles and smiles on your X.
In the interest of hearing out the other side: I'm 2 1800 & 2 1300 in and after Mustang, Corbin, and Utlimate, I'm a stock seat only guy. FWIW

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800S
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's funny how on the Scout, the most comfortable seat is the rock hard one, but the way it is shaped helps. Odd... very odd.. My Monster had a standard '93 seat and it is too hard. Tried the Ducati 'comfort' seat and it was even worse...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It's funny how on the Scout, the most comfortable seat is the rock hard one, but the way it is shaped helps. Odd... very odd.. My Monster had a standard '93 seat and it is too hard. Tried the Ducati 'comfort' seat and it was even worse...
If seats are shaped right, firm seats can be comfortable. On my last bike zx12r, I had a Corbin, it was like sitting on a rock, but for some reason, it was SOOOO comfortable. I have 3 seats for my 1300r, stock (garbage), Corbin dual tourer (for when I ride with 2) and an Ultimate Big Boy (just drivers). The Corbin is as frim as it was for my zx12r, it actually is very comfortable. I do like the Ultimate more though.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
If seats are shaped right, firm seats can be comfortable. On my last bike zx12r, I had a Corbin, it was like sitting on a rock, but for some reason, it was SOOOO comfortable. I have 3 seats for my 1300r, stock (garbage), Corbin dual tourer (for when I ride with 2) and an Ultimate Big Boy (just drivers). The Corbin is as frim as it was for my zx12r, it actually is very comfortable. I do like the Ultimate more though.
The seat is only half the answer to the problem. Everyone's ass and physical needs/ preferences are different. My friend Chuck is a lanky maybe 6'3", rides an absolute stock 2005 1800 F with nearly 100K on her, and he likes the stock seat just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts