Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of your opinion(s)!!

I ride about 4,000 miles per season. A few trips of maybe 200 miles in a day. I have modified my stock seat to include gel, which gets me through 50-80 miles with no issues. After that, I start to squirm for positions. (I'm 6'3", 240)

I'm was close to ordering the Ultimate Big Boy, but recently read a few posts from satisfied AirHawk users. Do any of you have experience with both? (I know one person said they use both together. How about each separately?) The AirHawk costs $130. The Big Boy costs $320. Although cost isn't the major issue, if the AirHawk performs well on 250 mile trips, then it may be all I need.

Also, regarding the Ultimate... I use my bike as my main vehicle during the biking season. I take it to work nearly every day. It's not unusual for the bike to be sitting in the parking lot during a downpour. The Ultimate makes note on their site that they are not waterproof because of the stitching. (They do not put a plastic liner under it.) Do any of you have advice for me if I go that route? Also, for another $100, is leather the best choice there?

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am 6'4, 240 as well and I went with the Big Boy. I have ran the stock seat and also a Corbin and love the Big Boy the best so far. Make sure and get the drivers back rest. Man what a differance that makes. I also bought the rain covers to go on the seats. I did not like the fact they are not water proof but I am not the rain rider some people are.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
No seat is "waterproof"... and they will all absorb some water. Leather is not recommended for an everyday rider or one that will be left out in the elements (see what Dez says about recommending vinyl). I recommend vinyl and if you must leave it to the elements, get the waterproof cover or make a set from some ole Frog Toggs or something..... JMO

I have the Ultimate Low Rider on the VTX and just ordered a set for the Valk... I might have to get the Big Boy tho..... :lol:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Forget the Air Hawk, I tried it and besides being ugly it's not that great and raises the setting position. Get a good seat and a rain cover. The cover for the Ultimate is made out of that frog tog material.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I got the Airhawk when I had the Corbin on and it helped, some. At 6'4"-265 lbs, with the Bigboy, I can ride further until I need the cushion. Together I can ride all day (300-400 miles). Vinyl is probably best for every day riding. A friend had the leather and didn't like it. Rain covers are a must if you park it in the rain and for washing the bike; otherwise, your butt's gonna cover it. Airhawks ain't cheap. I had a seam pop after 2 years and they wanted mucho $$ to fix it. I fixed it with RTV and it's been fine so far. I also removed the front 2 air cells cause they squished my nads and sealed with RTV.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A new dilemma!

Ouch! Decided to order the Ultimate Big Boy, but ran into another snag! If you ever want to ride 2-up, the Big Boy will not fit with your stock back seat. My wife rarely rides and doesn't really need the improvement, but I have yet another problem with this. I have a Utopia driver's backrest. It's awesome! But, it attaches to the passenger seat. In order for me to make the switch to the Ultimate, I'd have to order both seats and their driver's backrest. Throw in the raincovers and shipping charges and I'm now over $800, when I started at about $375! Then I'd have to get rid of the Utopia. (Maybe worth $100 to $150 or so.)

Maybe the AirHawk is my best choice given the circumstances... :?

Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
It took two trips to the Gap from northern Indiana for me to think spending $800 for the Big Boy was worth it (498 miles). I just carry my motorcycle cover in my saddle bags if I stop in the rain, otherwise my butt is covering it. I agree, the backrest is a must.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ultimate

Get the Big Boy, back rest and passenger seat You will not regret it IMO. Put mine on yesterday and the wife and I went for a hop. Your butt sets better and the road jolts are now just bumps. We got back to the house and my wife declared it was money well spent. The paperwork with the seats said it would take about 100 miles to break the seats in.

Dray

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The Big Boy comes with the backrest bracket installed. It uses the same backrest as the Mustang; although, the Mustang isn't padded as much. See if the Mustang backrest is cheaper. If so, get the backrest from them.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
And after all the above discussion don't forget to look at www.meancitycycles.com for Allen's seat mods. Been getting very good reviews.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got my Big boy yesterday!!! Whohoo! Worth every penny. I got it with the X embroidery. I think it looks ok on my 1800R. It took a little pushing to get the bolts to line up but just a little. Back seat went on perfect.

My butt is much happier

Rho

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've used an airhawk on the Ultimate LowRider. After a three day trip I bought a Big Boy and so far haven't needed the airhawk. But I plan to keep it because it you never know....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Regarding the passenger seat - you can cut the plastic and foam down on the stock seat and still use it with the Ultimate BigBoy. You leave extra vinyl and staple it underneath for a tight fit. It actually doesn't look as bad as you would think, and it saves close to $200.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had the big boy for a couple years now and REALLY like it, got the passenger seat too, never felt the need for the backrest.

As for rain, if they can seal tent stitching why not the seat stitches? Lots of ways, seam sealer, wax, scotchguard.......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wocka Wocka - Do you know how much I would need to trim off the back seat? Your idea sounds good, but I only have about an inch of space to trim before I get to the bracket that holds my Utopia backrest. I guess I could possibly grind off some of the bracket, but still wouldn't likely get more than 1.5".

Also - Mr. Phill - Good idea. Has anybody tried to seal the seams in the Ultimate seat?

Another question for everybody: The Ultimate site mentions that an extra spacer is needed for Leather-Lyke saddle bags so the cover of the bag will clear the back of the seat. Have any of you experienced this?

Thanks! Dan

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mr. Phill said:
As for rain, if they can seal tent stitching why not the seat stitches? Lots of ways, seam sealer, wax, scotchguard.......
True, but part of the comfort of the Ultimate Seat is that it 'breathes' to help stay cool. Most of that takes place through the seams and if they are sealed, I would think they wouldn't breath as well. I have, however, considered (strongly) getting some seam sealer and trying it so that I wouldn't be concerned if an unexpected shower came up and the covers weren't on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got through doing a turn around from Memphis, Tn. to Dallas, Tx and back with a mustang seat and using an air hawk and a gel pad. Called my dealer when I got back and ordered the Ultimate big boy. I think the best part is the width and padding in the big boy seating. As for leather, their website actually states that they really do not recommend the leather over the vinyl. I figured that I could get some decent looking fabric and put some elastic on the edges and use some camp dry for when the bike has to sit out in the rain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts