Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi again everyone. here is a question for you. doe's anyone notice more wear on the left side of thier front tire than the right? I'm just over 10,000 miles on an '04 C model. there is a little cupping also while the right is smooth.I'm probably close for new tires but would like to know if I need to fix a problem first. thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, I attribute mine to road crown here in New England.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Pretty common tire wear on these bikes. About everyone seems to get uneven wear on the left side.

·
Registered
196 Posts
After 6k front left side wore out and 8k for the rear. Dealers response, Colorado roads are pitched high on left than right for rain run off. I just thought I made more left turns :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
IslanderX said:
After 6k front left side wore out and 8k for the rear. Dealers response, Colorado roads are pitched high on left than right for rain run off. I just thought I made more left turns :D
Same problem with mine. I replaced mine in January with 9320 miles with Metz 880's. Front left side worn down, rear looked good but I replaced the whole set. Really like the Metzelers. Those darn Colorado roads! :wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually...it's a matter of simple geometry.

If you lived in England, it would be the right side of your front tire that would wear out faster.

So why do our left sides wear out in the good 'ol USA? It's a pretty easy answer, actually. It's simply because in a country where you ride on the right side of the road, all of your left turns at intersections are a longer distance than your right turns. Some of them are significantly longer (it depends on the size of the intersection, and the number of lanes you have to cross). So, naturally, when you add up the miles over time, you're riding a pretty decent amount more on the left side of your tires than on the right!

And no, I'm not that smart. Someone explained this to me recently!

Ride SAFE, everyone!
Don

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sledman said:
Well, I attribute mine to road crown here in New England.

Yep, I'd agree with Sledman. It's the pitch of the road being higher in the middle to help with run-off of melting snow and rain. But it's also attributed to low tire pressure while riding these roads. Keep an eye on that. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
A buddy of mine that owns a motorcycle repair shop told me about the bearings (forgot the proper name) that are where the wheel attaches to the front forks are defective...the Goldwing had a recall on the same bearings but not the VTX's.

He told me he replaces alot of honda bearings for that same problem...uneven tire wear. He also said that alot of dealerships tell riders that they're making too many left turns....and they actually say it with a straight face...

Just so ya know..

Herbo

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
Herbo said:
A buddy of mine that owns a motorcycle repair shop told me about the bearings (forgot the proper name) that are where the wheel attaches to the front forks are defective...the Goldwing had a recall on the same bearings but not the VTX's.

He told me he replaces alot of honda bearings for that same problem...uneven tire wear. He also said that alot of dealerships tell riders that they're making too many left turns....and they actually say it with a straight face...

Just so ya know..

Herbo
This wear happens on many different bikes, and many different type tires. Even the 1800 has this wear pattern and the 1800 has no problems with steering head bearings. While it may be a cause on SOME of the 1300's, the more prevalent cause is impropper tire inflation mixed with road conditions and driving habits

G

·
And, if its the crown in the road,as they say, I should thank the ODOT for takeing the crown out, because mine dont do it any more, and out of 56 guys and wife that I ride with mine was the only one that did it.
BULL S

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
ITS THE ALIENS!!!

If you line the inside of your helmet with tin foil....this will not happen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not worth worrying about IMO....get some new skins on there, keep tabs on the pressure, and ride on. :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not doubting that it happens to other bikes....all we spoke about were the Honda's. When I told him I bought a 1300, the very first thing out of his mouth was those bearings....said he replaces alot of them in the VTX's. He didn't mention any other make....but then again, why would he?? we were talking about the VTX.

Anyway, I'm going to have mine replaceed as a preventive maintanence thing. I'll let you know if my tire cups...

Herbo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts