Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an '09 VTX1300C. A couple of years ago a woman backed into my parked bike. Pushed it back (with the side stand down) about 5 inches. Later, after learning how to check the headset bearings, I determined that one or both of the bearings are damaged. My question is this: yesterday I noticed (for the first time) that my front tire has more side
wear (looking at the tire from the front) than the other side of the tire. Could the bad headset bearings cause this, or do you think something else was also damaged. . . like wheel axial bent, wheel bearing damaged, fork tube bent, etc.
I intend to replace the headset bearing soon, but now I'm concerned there may be other issues.
thanks for any input

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
This has been debated forever, and unless it's really bad, I wouldn't get too excited about it. Uneven roads, high crowns that make a tire wear more on one side, out of balance, low tire pressures, etc. If the bearings have never been changed, it's a good thing to get them done as all 1300 have junk steering neck bearings. Your tire will already have started wearing funny, and won't get any better once the bearings are changed. Until you replace the tire again.

Reactions: jkatzz

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I was once told it was a common occurrence on shaft driven bikes.
even more common on the VTX IMO because the exhaust side of the bike is a bit heavier and it results in the rider actually having to counter lean the bike if they are running OEM exhaust.

Reactions: Fallguy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has been debated forever, and unless it's really bad, I wouldn't get too excited about it. Uneven roads, high crowns that make a tire wear more on one side, out of balance, low tire pressures, etc. If the bearings have never been changed, it's a good thing to get them done as all 1300 have junk steering neck bearings. Your tire will already have started wearing funny, and won't get any better once the bearings are changed. Until you replace the tire again.
Thanks for your input. I've had this bike for about 6 years, and the previous front tire worn evenly. I changed out that tire myself, balanced it, and added "Ride-On". I check tire pressure weekly. This particular tire wear happened after that woman backed into the bike. So for now, I'm going to assume the uneven wear is due to damaged steering headset bearings. You mentioned that the OEM bearings are junk. Are you aware of a business or dealer where I can get more robust bearings?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
even more common on the VTX IMO because the exhaust side of the bike is a bit heavier and it results in the rider actually having to counter lean the bike if they are running OEM exhaust.
Shaft drive bike, exhaust on right side heaver and maybe doing more right turns that left turns during the life of the tires are causes for uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Thanks for your input. I've had this bike for about 6 years, and the previous front tire worn evenly. I changed out that tire myself, balanced it, and added "Ride-On". I check tire pressure weekly. This particular tire wear happened after that woman backed into the bike. So for now, I'm going to assume the uneven wear is due to damaged steering headset bearings. You mentioned that the OEM bearings are junk. Are you aware of a business or dealer where I can get more robust bearings?
ALL BALLS sells the kit for $30-$40 range. There must be a thousand posts on the forums, this and the VTX Cafe, that deal with it. IDK, but you might find how-to pix or video's on Bareasschoppers.com.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
I go with the counter-steer scrubs the rubber on one side of the tire.
Right turn is a physical right turn.
Left turn longer distance, push left on HB == "pushing to the right" to make a left turn.
Counter steer.
1300 OEM ball bearings also used on some Honda crotch rockets and the Goldwing.
The upgrade is to use 1800 taper roller bearing.
All Balls 22-1020 Info on link below.

·
Super Moderator
64,383 Posts
It's a common wear pattern for all bikes. Some tires combat the wear better than others but the main cause for any tire wear patterns is improper inflation. Check your tire pressures every week at least and keep them at 38-40 psi for best wear

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a common wear pattern for all bikes. Some tires combat the wear better than others but the main cause for any tire wear patterns is improper inflation. Check your tire pressures every week at least and keep them at 38-40 psi for best wear
Thanks for the reply. 38-40psi is too high. I keep the front at 33, and the rear at 34. I check tire pressure weekly.
thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I go with the counter-steer scrubs the rubber on one side of the tire.
Right turn is a physical right turn.
Left turn longer distance, push left on HB == "pushing to the right" to make a left turn.
Counter steer.
1300 OEM ball bearings also used on some Honda crotch rockets and the Goldwing.
The upgrade is to use 1800 taper roller bearing.
All Balls 22-1020 Info on link below.
Thank you for this information. I've saved the pdf file. I think "Clymer's" maintenance manual states 15 lbs/ft for
the final torque. Just wondering though, I the larger tapered bearing are installed instead of the OEM bearings,
should that 12 lbs/ft be a little higher number since the tapered bearing are more robust?

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
1800 spec is 12 ft-lbs. Taper bearings on 1800. Use that figure.
180,371 miles on the All Balls Taper bearings.
38-40 psi on my tires, except one AVON tire extra re-inforced at 45 PSI.

·
Registered
11,526 Posts
Thanks for the reply. 38-40psi is too high. I keep the front at 33, and the rear at 34. I check tire pressure weekly.
If you prefer softer ride and much greater tire wear, this is a fine choice. Most people prefer considerably more pressure, but it is your bike and your choice.

·
Super Moderator
64,383 Posts
33psi is to low, I got this from a Dunlop tire rep at the Honda VTX plant in Marysville Ohio. Honda put 33psi for a softer ride, sacrificing tire mileage and wear in the process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Too low. My $.02. Consensus is 38-40 + or - a lb. or 2 from there. Lower will 'feel' better for the ride but higher will get better longevity out of the tire. Your way will be lucky to get 3-5K out of a tire.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts