Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When certain speeds or rpms i hear a rattle coming back from the windshield. I know the valves are noisy and i know they tap but this is a rattle... is it valve related. Its usually heard at lower rpms when gettn on the throttle... any ideas.... i read the howto valve adjustment... i had the local shop do my 8000 mile.... is it worth it to check the valves or does anyone else have anyother causes....

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Shot in the dark here, might be in your headlight bucket, speedo housing or your exhaust heat shield . good luck

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
exhaust hk3 sheild tight.. speedo tight couwl tight????
I forgot to mention one of my rattles was in the bucket itself the wiring harness was banging against the bucket wall, like I said shot in the dark, somebody smarter than me will chime in. good luck

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
take oout your headlight a see if relay is flopping maybe rattle i wrapped my relays in small piece of foam and zip tied it up my rattle gone :thumbup:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok.. tore through the whole bike from all your suggestions. all tight. even did a valve adjustment. at that time i installed a tach. the vibration is only noticable around 2000 rpm. and i cant mimik it at 2000rpm in stoped position. the rattle is somewhere in front and i laid my hands on everything. bike runs better after valve but noise still there.. sound like its somewhere in the upper half of the motor under the tank. some where in that area. im troubled about this.. i just dont want that noise to be a problem in the future when going down the road and get stuck somewhere.. huuummmmm...

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Yea, give Me a call and I will take a look at it for ya!!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
ok.. tore through the whole bike from all your suggestions. all tight. even did a valve adjustment. at that time i installed a tach. the vibration is only noticable around 2000 rpm. and i cant mimik it at 2000rpm in stoped position. the rattle is somewhere in front and i laid my hands on everything. bike runs better after valve but noise still there.. sound like its somewhere in the upper half of the motor under the tank. some where in that area. im troubled about this.. i just dont want that noise to be a problem in the future when going down the road and get stuck somewhere.. huuummmmm...

Take the bottom three screws out of the speedo housing , put o rings on the screws and replace , I had the same noise you described and that fixed it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe I got the same problem on my 1800c.
It sounds as if it was the valves but fells as if something was loose and hiting a metal wall. as if it was the cam chain loose.
Did you found the problem?
I´m looking for the cause.

thanks

Mario

·
Registered
286 Posts
Home made O-rings

I made my own rubber washers for under the speedo housing (bottom 3 hex bolts) by cutting an old bicycle innertube. I cut 1"x1" squares, then punched a hole in the middle with a single-hole punch used for paper. Then rounded the edges, a dab of silicon, put the housing back on, the bolts in, tightened them, and PROBLEM SOLVED FOR FREE!

One other thing may be the neck covers. If they come lose, simply use a black zip-tie and secure the extended portion onto the downtube. This may be the problem.

One other rattle location is often IF you have a chrome radiator cover. You will have to get some rubber foam (matting or weather strip) and place it in front and sides when you install it for a snug fit & that will stop any vibration sounds.

Crazy as it sounds, check your helmet lock on the clutch side on the rear fender and make sure it is tight - use Lock-Tite. Sounds are not always where you think they are originating.

Last but not least, check your horn. If it is slightly bent, it may be rattling against the frame if the screw is loose.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like you are riding my bike. I have the same noises at certain RPMs

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a similar rattle at certain rpms.
I traced it down and it was my tag. I made a rubber spacer and it fixed the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts