Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the members on here, and I, have been in some serious discussions about a 1998 Valkyrie. This bike has been completely restored, carbs rebuilt, dealer checked, and was owned by a collector, who didn't put many miles on the bike. I have always liked the Valkyrie and thought it would be a nice addition to my "stable". Bruce and I worked out almost all of the details, but then there was the final obstacle to overcome -- Getting the blessing from the wife!!!

Here's how the conversation went -- Her comments/questions vs. my answers (which were partially contributed by Bruce, in a "pre-meeting" discussion)

1998?? That's an old bike. --- It's not old,, it's a classic
600 miles away?? That's a very long trip. --- Not a long trip,, a weekend get-away
If we spend money on that,,, it's going to put us short. --- I get paid again next week.
Why do you need two bikes?? You can only ride one at a time. --- How many pairs of shoes do you own?? (I didn't really say this,, but I SHOULD have)
Where are we going to keep TWO bikes?? --- I actually have a neighbor who was going to let me keep it in her garage,, provided that she got a ride from time to time (on the bike).
Insurance will be higher!!! --- I don't think an extra $160/year is going to put us in the poor house.
Aren't the two bikes just the same?? They look the same to me!! --- Once again, I chose NOT to bring up the shoes
Well, I'm not telling you what to do. You make your own choice on this one. --- I hope the Valkyrie finds a new home with a loving owner!!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
your mistake, my opinion...

You WANT 2 bikes... yes different

She NEEDS many shoe's...

BIG DIFFERENCE..for her.

for a few years. I had 3 bikes... Wing, sport bike, 72 CB750.
for Many years. I had 2 bikes... Wing, sport bike.

a guy at church has 2 Valkyrie's
Standard and a Interstate

·
Registered
390 Posts
Everything happens for a reason. You just might not know what it is at the time or for a while. Your wife is just part of that fate.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Maybe why I’m divorced...but my daddy brought me up knowing “It was better to ask forgiveness ,than permission”...I enjoy a committee of “ONE”....on a similar note Ive noticed a lot of early Valks for sale in local CL...good luck

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
My Wife is the most evil of them all.

She brings home a new motorcycle a couple times each year.

Please, won't you help save me from this terrible dilemma ?
For just pennies a day, you can help me to a better life.......
And remember - 100% of your donations go directly to my charity !

·
Registered
887 Posts
HaHa! That's funny.
I actually had "the blessing" on an a particular Interstate only 300 miles away. But it was me that backed out after I rode one. I'm still in love with the bike, just can't do the riding position.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I added another bike this year..... insurance went up $1. As far as parking that in another "lady's garage"..... that's the red flag for the wife. Make it fit at home or it's definitely not happening (or at least in this house hold).

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I added another bike this year..... insurance went up $1. As far as parking that in another "lady's garage"..... that's the red flag for the wife. Make it fit at home or it's definitely not happening (or at least in this house hold).

Not any issue there. Neighbor widow. Doesn't get around well. Deb and I take care of her trash, lawn, etc. Right next door. My VTX actually resides there full time. She offered the space, after her husband died and she sold his car. I graciously accepted the invitation.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
When I bought my second bike, a Fatboy, my wife wasn't happy. I told her I wouldn't ride it so no insurance or yearly riding tax needed but planned to put it in our living. Then she really got furious......:dontknow:
We are still together :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
6,455 Posts
One of the members on here, and I, have been in some serious discussions about a 1998 Valkyrie. This bike has been completely restored, carbs rebuilt, dealer checked, and was owned by a collector, who didn't put many miles on the bike. I have always liked the Valkyrie and thought it would be a nice addition to my "stable". Bruce and I worked out almost all of the details, but then there was the final obstacle to overcome -- Getting the blessing from the wife!!!

Here's how the conversation went -- Her comments/questions vs. my answers (which were partially contributed by Bruce, in a "pre-meeting" discussion)

Where are we going to keep TWO bikes?? --- I actually have a neighbor who was going to let me keep it in her garage,, provided that she got a ride from time to time (on the bike).
. As far as parking that in another "lady's garage"..... that's the red flag for the wife. Make it fit at home or it's definitely not happening (or at least in this house hold).
Not any issue there. Neighbor widow. Doesn't get around well. Deb and I take care of her trash, lawn, etc. Right next door. My VTX actually resides there full time. She offered the space, after her husband died and she sold his car. I graciously accepted the invitation.
Requiring more interaction with the widow next door, and a ride from time to time with her wrapped around you... might be more of an issue than you think. You know your wife better than we do, but this sort of an arrangement might give all but the exceptionally secure man or woman pause. There's a difference between helping out, and being beholden to someone, and repaying that with close physical contact. Is the widow lady attractive?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have loved my VTX ever since I got it but I have lusted for a Valkyrie especially the interstate edition since before I started riding. If I could only have one bike I would put the VTX up for sale in a heartbeat. That being said I would also bluff the old lady and tell her that I would put it up for sale after I picked up the Valk and then maybe never get around to it....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just sold this beautiful 1997 Valk a couple of days ago. Not even I could justify having three cruisers - now I'm down to my 2016 Indian Vintage and my 2003 VTX1800R. Oh well, I'm still a happy camper. And so is my wife.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Valkyrie

Requiring more interaction with the widow next door, and a ride from time to time with her wrapped around you... might be more of an issue than you think. You know your wife better than we do, but this sort of an arrangement might give all but the exceptionally secure man or woman pause. There's a difference between helping out, and being beholden to someone, and repaying that with close physical contact. Is the widow lady attractive?
The first time I saw a black 2005 Valkyrie Rune, I thought it should be Batman's bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I found a 2005 Spec 3 N with only 650 miles. My 2003R has 45K. I didn't tell the wife but I got it and plan to sell the R after I transfer some of the goodies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts