Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of y'all have been following our design and construction of our 1/3 scale R.C. model airplane. We are not ready to fly, but getting close. We hope to have it ready to fly before Christmas 2012. These photos were taken yesterday and the model is still in pieces. We are still adding internal structure to hold the servos, data collection system, etc. In order to take these photos, we held the model together with clecos, bungee cords, and Velcro.

There is still a lot of work left in order to get ready to fly - bonding, body work, and paint.

Regards,
Joe T.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I'm very intrigued, Joe. Thanks for posting. It will be one unique bird when you have it ready to go.

Flying before Christmas sounds ambitious. Best of luck, and please keep sharing photos (and/or videos).

Tell me, is that a kit-plane, a scratch design, or a project off of some purchased plan? And I'm sure folks would be interested in details of the engine and radio too.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very intrigued, Joe. Thanks for posting. It will be one unique bird when you have it ready to go.

Flying before Christmas sounds ambitious. Best of luck, and please keep sharing photos (and/or videos).

Tell me, is that a kit-plane, a scratch design, or a project off of some purchased plan? And I'm sure folks would be interested in details of the engine and radio too.
Scratch built. I spent about a year designing the full scale LSA concept. Then, I decided to build a 1/3 scale R.C. model, fully instrumented, before committing the funds for a manned aircraft. We have been working on the model for 14 months. We started with a sheet of styrofoam.

Joe T.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Cool design.

I don't know anything about aircraft design, but will those wings provide enough lift?

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Please keep us informed... and what kind of radio and most of all the ENGINE??????
I had r/c planes for years. mostly 4 stroke singles. high wingers.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Scratch built. I spent about a year designing the full scale LSA concept. Then, I decided to build a 1/3 scale R.C. model, fully instrumented, before committing the funds for a manned aircraft. We have been working on the model for 14 months. We started with a sheet of styrofoam.

Joe T.

Wow.

Impressive. Good job!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool design.

I don't know anything about aircraft design, but will those wings provide enough lift?
I like your sarcasm. Humm, I think they are OK.

;)

Actually, I believe they are about 10% - 15% too large. That determination is part of the reason for the fully instrumented flight test.

Joe T.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please keep us informed... and what kind of radio and most of all the ENGINE??????
I had r/c planes for years. mostly 4 stroke singles. high wingers.

Specktrum DX-8 radio and receiver. DLE-55 single piston 2-stroke (55cc).

Joe T.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like your sarcasm. Humm, I think they are OK.

;)

Actually, I believe they are about 10% - 15% too large. That determination is part of the reason for the fully instrumented flight test.

Joe T.

Im truley sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Was just wondering about the "Lift-to-Drag" ratio or the "Lift to Weight" ratio for the wings.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Joe T -

Looks really good, nice dimensions.

Proper engine/propeller selection and it will fly like a dream.

Remember on initial flight .......

Altitude is your friend!

Get it up at least 2 or 3 mistakes high and do the trimming.

Have someone record the flight from taxi to landing.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Im truley sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Was just wondering about the "Lift-to-Drag" ratio or the "Lift to Weight" ratio for the wings.
Joe T's design looks like it will have a better glide ration than the Space Shuttle did .... and they flew fine.

Some designs glide better than others .... those that don't demand a pilot with higher skills who can literally fly them all the way to the landing.

A J3 Piper Cub you could take up, kill the motor, fly it around and land it dead stick with little problem.

A canard design just needs a little extra speed at times.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wolf,

Don't be sorry. 'Sarcasm' was a poor word choice. I really meant humorous or funny. that is how I took your comment. I was not upset about it. Because, I really think the wings (canard and main wing) are too large. I assumed you picked up on that, too.

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
That's getting up there in the UAV category...definitely some airspace rules on that bad boy...as well as any damage to ground facilities/people if you lose signal lock.

Curious when you say "fully instrumented"... what that means? I'm also curious why you built such a large scale in anticipation of building a 'manned' airplane? I do see that you moved the CG aft to cover the motor with the wing lift.

You going to put a camera on it?

Bull

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's getting up there in the UAV category...definitely some airspace rules on that bad boy...as well as any damage to ground facilities/people if you lose signal lock.

Curious when you say "fully instrumented"... what that means? I'm also curious why you built such a large scale in anticipation of building a 'manned' airplane?

Bull
definitely some airspace rules on that bad boy

Under 50#, not a problem. And even then only an AMA permit is required.

as well as any damage to ground facilities/people if you lose signal lock

A concern. We are using Eagle Tree's system for most of the instrumentation. Part of the package is the ability, if one loses control, to stabilize and fly to a preset GPS point. Also, insurance for any 'ground' issue is available

Curious when you say "fully instrumented"

1.) RPM so we can correlate to thrust (I have already developed static thrust vs RPM curves)
2.) 3-axis accelerometers
3.) air speed
4.) altitude
5.) cylinder head temp
6.) GPS
7.) HD TV
8.) Alpha sensor
9.) Beta sensor
10.) Low Res cameras for recording wing and canard tuft response during stall tests
11.) Downlink to a laptop (or whatever you have) for real time information including pilot's view
12.) Complete data storage for on-ground download to computer for analysis

I'm also curious why you built such a large scale in anticipation of building a 'manned' airplane

It is a unique configuration, as you will most probably agree. I was not aware of the MIG-8 when I started this project. So, a lot of unknowns and 'fear.' But, a scaled R.C. model is built using non-aerospace grade materials ($$$$) and is it is a lot smaller. In my case, it is a 1/3 scale model. An engine for a full scale manned airplane would cost more than my whole model. If the model does not fly well and if it becomes apparent that I cannot meet my goals, there will be no manned, full scale aircraft.

Three. One HD realtime and two to view the main wing and canard but will be data logged for analysis after the flight

there is a LOT of money riding on this thing. Not many people willing to try something new.

Joe T.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
If you are an AMA member you have up to $2,500,000.00 insurance so long as you fly in accordance with their NATIONAL Safety Codes.

Even the people who fly the little " park flyers " enjoy some level of Liability Insurance from the AMA.

Membership has its benefits! ;)

The per occurrence limit of coverage available by this policy is $2,500,000 involving bodily injury and/or
property damage. These limits are for claims occurring during the policy period. Coverage is provided only for
accidents arising from the model activities.
Note: No coverage is afforded for you personally or your family members - this means if your plane blows up and injures you and your friend .... you're friend is covered but not you or your family members.

There is no coverage for injury to a member to his own family (Household and Relative(s) living in the
member’s household) for claims or suits.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
definitely some airspace rules on that bad boy

Under 50#, not a problem. And even then only an AMA permit is required.

as well as any damage to ground facilities/people if you lose signal lock

A concern. We are using Eagle Tree's system for most of the instrumentation. Part of the package is the ability, if one loses control, to stabilize and fly to a preset GPS point. Also, insurance for any 'ground' issue is available

Curious when you say "fully instrumented"

1.) RPM so we can correlate to thrust (I have already developed static thrust vs RPM curves)
2.) 3-axis accelerometers
3.) air speed
4.) altitude
5.) cylinder head temp
6.) GPS
7.) HD TV
8.) Alpha sensor
9.) Beta sensor
10.) Low Res cameras for recording wing and canard tuft response during stall tests
11.) Downlink to a laptop (or whatever you have) for real time information including pilot's view
12.) Complete data storage for on-ground download to computer for analysis

I'm also curious why you built such a large scale in anticipation of building a 'manned' airplane

It is a unique configuration, as you will most probably agree. I was not aware of the MIG-8 when I started this project. So, a lot of unknowns and 'fear.' But, a scaled R.C. model is built using non-aerospace grade materials ($$$$) and is it is a lot smaller. In my case, it is a 1/3 scale model. An engine for a full scale manned airplane would cost more than my whole model. If the model does not fly well and if it becomes apparent that I cannot meet my goals, there will be no manned, full scale aircraft.

Three. One HD realtime and two to view the main wing and canard but will be data logged for analysis after the flight

there is a LOT of money riding on this thing. Not many people willing to try something new.

Joe T.
Thanks Joe...I bet a lot invested for sure. I am surprised, with the motor, the bad boy will be under 50#. To bad you could not test the aerodynamics in a wind tunnel...would be interesting data...as stability vice maneuverability would be a challenge for sure, especially with the canards.

Try not to rip the wings off...:)

Bull

1 - 20 of 285 Posts