Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy again,

fyi

a while back (2 months?... or about 600m 2k total) i was whining about my 1-2 3-4 shift clunk (08 13T) and changed over to synth oil.

i can't say that it really made a difference - except that i don't think about it anymore...

·
Registered
315 Posts
howdy again,

fyi

a while back (2 months?... or about 600m 2k total) i was whining about my 1-2 3-4 shift clunk (08 13T) and changed over to synth oil.

i can't say that it really made a difference - except that i don't think about it anymore...
I've had a lot...a lot of bikes that clunk when shifting through the gears. My 1800C, new in June '08, does it and always has. Doesn't bother me at all because as far as I'm concerned it's probably normal on most bikes and I know for sure it hit the next gear okay and is in solid. As a matter of fact I'm glad it's there if nothing else just for that reason and there's nothing at all wrong with the bike. Did it with the original oil which I took out at 400 miles and switched to Amsoil and still does it.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
howdy again,

fyi

Turn your bike over, let it warm up for a minute. Roll backwards with the clutch disengaged...go backwards like 4 or 5 bike lengths. Or heck, roll forward...whatever is easier.

THEN hit the shift lever. Is the clunk better?

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
My bike clunks when I shift, it always has ho it doesn't bother me. I also have a CX500 and it clunks as well. I think it is just the bike's way of telling me that it's in gear and ready for some throttle! The only time it doesn't clunk is when I'm shifting down from nuetral into 1st gear. I find that somewhat disconcerting because I'm so used to hearing it clunk when I shift into other gears.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Mine only clunks when I've been drinking too much.:confused: sb

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
My Hondas did it, my HD's have done it, my Yammy did it. It's not a VTX thing, it isn';t even a Honda thing. Most bikes clunk in some or all gears

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to morgan in dallas...

well, i turned the bike over, and doggoneit if i didn't snap my windshield...

well, not really...

the bike clunks and runs like the wind... which incidentally is cold here --- dang near 60.

amsoil this spring when i turn 4k...

merry christmas!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
to morgan in dallas...

the bike clunks and runs like the wind... which incidentally is cold here --- dang near 60.

Yeah I bet it's a dry cold too. LOL

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
What you hear are the gear dogs engaging when you shift into a gear, assuming the speed of the adjacent gear dog is not at the exact same RPM. First gear will always be noisy when the bike is stationary because even with the clutch engaged, the input shaft will be turning faster than the output shaft and thus a clunk when the two square cut dogs engage. Shifting up or down while the bike is moving should always be done with the RPM matching as closely as possible to the gear you will be engaging. In other words when shifting up let the RPM's drop slightly while engaging the next higher gear and the noise should be gone. Wait too long and there will be a clunk. Downshifting should always be with a little blip of the throttle when engaging the lower gear. Street cars don't have gear dogs, they have syncro's that tend to wear out too quickly if used in a motorcycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts