Honda VTX Forum banner

Upgrades on the Way, Need Opinions, Comments, Thoughts

611 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  warriorwagner 
#1 ·
I am getting a bonus from work and the wife gave me the money to invest in my 05 VTX C. I really don't have any mods yet and want some advice before spending about 2500 dollars on things I will not enjoy. Here is the list so far:

1. New seat, either Mustang, Ultimate, or maybe Saddlemens, still deciding
2. 2-UP windshield for sure.
3. Saddlebags, I am thinking Tsukuyu leather covered bags, but hate to spend $539 on them. I do want ones that lock, any suggestions on other lockable, hard, bolt-on saddlebags?
4. Sissy bar with rack
5. Floor boards for me and the passenger
6. Engine guards with pegs for touring
7. Some sort of risers, either Kewl Metal 2 in or VTX risers the solid piece, any feed back on them?
8. Some sort of throttle lock
9. Most important is new pipes. I am thinking Cobra speeder slashdowns, any comments?

There is my dream list of what I want to do to my X. I am trying to make a big that is as comfortable at 200 miles that it is at 50 miles. I am thinking of some touring later in the year also. Any thoughts, comments, lessons learned would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

See less See more
#3 ·
From what I heard from someone the other day is to stay clear of Saddleman seats. This guy ordered the one piece tattoo seat with (supposedly) fancy flame stitching. When it arrived he said it was very shoddy workmanship and he sent it back. From what I have heard on the board is that BadX seat mod is the way to go. I also didn't hear you mention a lightbar. I added a lightbar and aftermarket pipes to be "seen and heard." I don't have much money so that was one I thought over for some time before I did it. You might also want to save some of that money for different handlebars. That is probably going to be my winter project. You asked for opinions...

#4 ·
Forget the new seat. Send it to BadX. Do the memory foam mod. Had mine done, haven't had a sore butt since.

#5 ·
here's the setup I have so far....for 2007 VTX 1300 Retro

1. New seat-Mustang wide touring with backrest, love it! ($569?)
2. ordered windshield, hondaline, don't know yet, haven't get it yet...($480?)
3. Saddlebags? Leatherlykes-good size, lockable and so far, they have carried a ton of stuff. I like them so far. Bought reinforcement plates and stuff to help for longevity ($500?)
4. Sissy bar with rack-All hondaline stuff, way overpriced but good stuff. very happy! (not sure of total $ for all combined but there are cheaper ways that people have been happy with)
5. Floor boards for me and the passenger-Ordered Rivco with extensions not sure yet still being shipped
6. Engine guards with pegs for touring-Paladin from NC and they look nice and don't stick out too far from bike. I like the look a lot.
7. Some sort of risers, either Kewl Metal 2 in or VTX risers the solid piece, any feed back on them?-Still deciding on risers....
8. Some sort of throttle lock-none
9. Most important is new pipes. I am thinking Cobra speeder slashdowns, any comments? I ordered V&H Big Shots. I hope they aren't too loud.

I'm happy with what I have. If you need any pics, just sent me a PM and an email address and I can send you some pics.

Also, I ordered the front progressive springs, have a hondaline lightbar (like it and very bright lights on it!), have some other chrome accessories but they don't make a better ride or anything, just look good, for example I've got the front chrome fender rail from Big Bikes....

Good luck! I would go for what looks best to you and had good reviews. There were some things that got better reviews that I didn't get, but I liked the looks of other brands better (also they had decent reviews though). I didn't go with anything that had bad reviews overall, no matter how great I thought they looked...

Curtis

#6 ·
Add ons

First thing I'd suggest doing is send your seat to BadX. Best and most inexpensive change I made. Can't go wrong.
Although after I got the seat from BadX, I took it to another to have the seat covered with a gray ostrich leather, which was way more expensive than BadX.
GF also sent her seat to him after wasting money on a Corbin. And he mod'd it just for her.
Aeromach 4 inch risers - oem cables work fine.
Kuryakyn floorboards, grips, etc. - love the chrome.
Vista Cruise throttle lock. Got the simple 7/8 inch and dremel'd it to 1 inch.
Pipes - STPW - great sound and kept the big pipe look.
But everyone has their own opinion of what looks best so just enjoy tricking out your bike.
And the best purchase is a great wax - with extra chrome, you will be spending a lot more time waxing.
Ride safe and often.
"O"

#7 ·
roundabout said:
From what I heard from someone the other day is to stay clear of Saddleman seats.
I agree with the badx choice I had it done but unfortunately it didnt work for me, I have a saddlemen renegade solo and it feels good , looks good and works for me craftsmanship is outstanding. I believe the above statement is not the norm for the seats if anyone is interested do a search you will get some good reviews. .02 good luck

#8 ·
Saddleman

I've got the Saddleman Solo seat with the gel, and I love it. A friend of mine has a Mustang Seat and he likes it but, he likes my Saddleman more than his Mustang. I got the Saddleman Solo for $190.00 shipped. Do a search for Saddleman seats in the Forum, their is comprehensive threads on this seat.

#9 ·
I also have a C model with a Badx seat and I love it. However, if you are planning to ride 2-up a lot, do your passenger a favor and get a 2-piece seat that has a wider pillion seat like a Mustang or get an R/S seat done by Badx. The C passenger seat is just too narrow.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the great comments, I will be starting my mods next month and will keep everyone informed on how well everything is going and any problems I encounter. I will be sure to include a lot of pics as I do the mods. What a great forum. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.