Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode up to a very well respected Honda dealership in North Carolina today to see if they had any pipes on hand for my 1800S. Lot of Gold Wings there, and that bike interests me a lot as I do a lot of touring.

Just for S&G, I asked the owner what he'd allow me for my bike. It's a 2003 VTX 1800 Retro with spokes. I've put approx. 4000 miles on it. I've added a Memphis shield, Mustang 3-piece seat, Honda deluxe backrest, risers, Kury grips, Leatherlykes and a crash bar - almost $2000 in accessories.

The GW I liked was $18,200.

He offered me $7000 for my X.

Hell, that wouldn't even pay if off!

I would have never believed I could get upside down on this bike. He said the Xs don't sell well.

I guess I'll keep touring on my 1800. The only pipes he had fit a C, not a Retro. Wasted trip, but beautiful weather to ride.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
He said the Xs don't sell well.
What!?!?!?!?!?! :shock: could of fooled me! I know they are like the biggest selling cruiser here in Florida. Don't know how it is in your neck of the woods. I know guy's who will kill for a used X of any size.

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Well Keep the "X and Buy the Wing :idea: Also, Shop At HDL for your Pipes!! Do U know what Style U want??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the Roadhouse Classics. They seem to sound pretty good on the sound byte files I've heard.

Met a guy yesterday with HKs on a 1300. Sounded awesome, but I know you can't compare the two bikes.

Wish I could afford a Gold Wing, but it don't matter because I'm really very happy with my X.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Watch those Gold Wings. Have a problem with the frames coming apart.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maniac66,
any of those guys you know want an '04 1300C with big 3s, boss bags (36 w/piggyback), Kury grips/pegs/highway pegs, Mustang seat with backrest,Memphis fats 19"windshield, and possibly the FOOTS mod already done? for about 8000? I'm in Houston, but might be making a trip to pick up an 1800 if I can get what I need for mine.... just wondering. No, it's not on the For Sale board because I don't really need to sell it. I love it, but I wouldn't mind moving to the 1800 if the timing and price were right.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
7K for your X trade in, he wipes it down, puts in on the lot and sells it for like 8750 and makes 1750 in like a few hours.
I hate car dealers who will tell you your car is junk, and then sell it three hours later to someone and make 2K on you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
SCXMan57 said:
Rode up to a very well respected Honda dealership in North Carolina today to see if they had any pipes on hand for my 1800S. Lot of Gold Wings there, and that bike interests me a lot as I do a lot of touring.

Just for S&G, I asked the owner what he'd allow me for my bike. It's a 2003 VTX 1800 Retro with spokes. I've put approx. 4000 miles on it. I've added a Memphis shield, Mustang 3-piece seat, Honda deluxe backrest, risers, Kury grips, Leatherlykes and a crash bar - almost $2000 in accessories.

The GW I liked was $18,200.

He offered me $7000 for my X.

Hell, that wouldn't even pay if off!

I would have never believed I could get upside down on this bike. He said the Xs don't sell well.

I guess I'll keep touring on my 1800. The only pipes he had fit a C, not a Retro. Wasted trip, but beautiful weather to ride.
If you want fair market for your bike sell it yourself. Your going to take it up the ass if you want someone else to do the selling for you. Just the way it is.

Brian

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I got $8500 trade-in on my 02 with 10,000mi. less than$500 in extra's on it. exactly 1 year ago. I would shop around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts